Author Topic: Luggage  (Read 8771 times)

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
Luggage
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
OK I am going to pick up a 2008 Concours after work today!!! I don’t know for sure yet if it will have any heat issues but plan to tackle it with some of the suggestions I have found on the site (thanks for all the tips).

My next issue is I hear about luggage coming off and that there was a recall on some of the luggage latches, if the latches are orange not red they should be safe. Is that correct? Also can anyone explain what the issue is? Is it just play in the latch and shimming it will take care of it?

Offline okxd45

Re: Luggage
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »
Subscribe....... :popcorn:
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:38:35 AM »
I had luggage almost come off my '10 once too...................

I got home and found the problem:

Might have found tjhe problem sooner had I used that search button at the top of the forum
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:21:34 AM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »
What's the bungee cord got to do with it?

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
I think the problem was that when going over a hard bump or big pot hole, the impact on the bike can cause the hard saddle bags to come off. I think you are right about the color of the latch.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
Yes, the orange latches are the updated latches.

If you're concerned about the bags coming off, as I was and as many others here are/were, not Steve though, you can pin them, use Zteve's retaining brackets*, or do the shim thing.

Zteve's brackets http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0    *my choice

Shims. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/baglatchfix

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
What's the bungee cord got to do with it?

See pic above it, my luggage about came off. Of course my panniers have never been a problem and have been unprotected for > 33,000 miles. Point being repost?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »
Be carefully, the luggage come off.
I use this.
Do not solve the problema but at least the luggage do not come off

Offline mkorn

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »
I threw caution to the wind and decided to not have an event filled day and just pinned mine.
it took longer to find the drill bit.

all safe and secure now.

2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline jonathan

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »
It is not really an issue. A few have had their bags jump off after hitting a bump, but there are many more that you never hear from that have had no issues at all.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
It is not really an issue. A few have had their bags jump off after hitting a bump, but there are many more that you never hear from that have had no issues at all.
Statistically correct.  Probably less than 10 of us have had a saddlebag come off when properly fastened.  Over 10K bikes sold. Odd are less than 1 in 1000 that you will lose a bag.  A new bag is only about $700, while a set of pins can cost up to $7.   Pinning the bags costs 1/100th of the cost of the bag, so the prevention is 10 times the cost of the statistical loss.  Since I actually had one come off, but was able to recover it, the $7 seemed to be something I could live with.

The heat issue seems to come down to 3 things (affecting maybe 10-20% of riders (wild guess on the %'s)):  1 - misadjusted foam insulation under the fairings, 2 - riders wearing thin pants or shorts, 3 - some riders are more heat-sensitive than others.   Additional insulation under the glove box and/or foam blocking  the rear fairing outlets seem to solve the problem for those who still have a problem with the heat.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »
Thanks lt1!

The only reason I ask is I am picking the bike up tonight and the guy has never had the bags on the bike...so I am kind of nervous taking it home.

Also on the misadjusted foam insulation under the fairings, does anyone have a picture of properly installed foam? I just want to make sure the foam on mine is correct.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »
Thanks lt1!

The only reason I ask is I am picking the bike up tonight and the guy has never had the bags on the bike...so I am kind of nervous taking it home.

Also on the misadjusted foam insulation under the fairings, does anyone have a picture of properly installed foam? I just want to make sure the foam on mine is correct.

Thanks again for all the responses!

If you're really nervous about taking the bike home tonight with the bags on, see pic #2 in post #7 above. disregard the nylon strap and look at the cable ties he's using. Get yourself a couple of long cable ties and tie the latch handles to the grab bars on both sides and you'll be fine.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing....just to be on the safe side.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
Congrats on the new Connie Conner!  :thumbs:

I wouldn't worry about the bags since you bought a silver one, if a bag starts to come off just stop and grab it with your hand before it hits the ground, the silver ones don't go very fast...  ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »

+1

I make it known I haven't bought into the snake oil.  I have 33K miles with no protection, and am about to go on a 10K trip.

Mad-expensive camera equipment and laptop will be in my bags. No protection except the mad pow-ah of KiPass

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
When I first joined this site shortly after buying my 2008 Connie in April and read about the luggage issues, I immediately went into the garage and checked my bags.  They fit very snugly and had no play in the latches so I didn't do anything.  I like to give them a good tug every week or so just to make sure they are still on tight - especially if I remove them for anything. 

I have not noticed any heat issues, even riding in 90+ weather which for us Wisconsinites is like being in hell. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
Congrats on the new Connie Conner!  :thumbs:

I wouldn't worry about the bags since you bought a silver one, if a bag starts to come off just stop and grab it with your hand before it hits the ground, the silver ones don't go very fast...  ;)

OH!!!!   :shoot:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »

Offline vivo

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
I have an 09 so it is the same as an 08. Yes, it has a heat issue but it's not something disturbing on my bike. In the summer, with the side wings removed you will feel the heat. With those wings installed it is not a big deal until you have been stopped a while and again you will feel heat. Once moving with or without the wings the heat is not an issue. If you wear short pants you are a dufus and then you deserve to get burnt. So, if you are wearing jeans or riding gear and you're moving you will be fine.
As for me? I have the wings off and it's summer. Yes I can feel heat sometimes but to tell you the truth it's not that bothersome for me. One thing I especially like is this... after the sun goes down and it starts to get chilly I put the shield up, stock 09 shield, and I again feel warming air surrounding me. If you are the type that rides with a big aftermarket shield and rides with it up in the summer then you will roast in the day! It will be unbearable without those wings on. So it is how the bike is set up that matters.... some will say it is unacceptable and others aren't bothered.

Put pins in the luggage as per instruction found on the forum and forget any issues with luggage forever.

it's a good bike, stop worrying

vivo