Author Topic: K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine  (Read 15697 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: K-ACT, KTRC error 1a, 1b, 28. Bike runs fine
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »
I work with CAN on large mining trucks.  It's how intelligent devices send commands, sensor signals and receive commands they then do something with (open/close a valve etc). Here is a super technical drawing I spent days slaving over.

You're getting comm errors from one device.  That can mean that device is dead or the wire it uses to communicate onto the datalink bus with is broken or it simply has no power.    The ECU that's throwing these codes is expecting messages from that thing every x milliseconds and for whatever reason, it's not getting them.

They COULD be right. 

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
ETRO, P+2H. Parts expected in sometime in May.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 03:52:48 AM »
ETRO, P+2H. Parts expected in sometime in May.

translation?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 05:44:12 AM »
translation?

Good, I am not alone...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 06:47:06 AM »
Men's and Women's Accessories, Lockheed P-2H Neptune  (silly + sign changed to -)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »
Estimated Time to Return to Operations (ETRO), Parts +2 Hours (P+2H)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 03:51:37 AM »
TFTT    GLWTR

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 05:18:18 AM »
DHAC
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
DHAC
I'm sorry, was that clue or cow?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »
clue..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »
less

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
filling
....oops..sorry..thought this was word association thread.

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
Update: the $1300  ABS pump thing arrived and was installed....and that was not the problem. Now, Big K says it's the wiring harnesses so those are on order. At this point it looks like they are throwing parts at it. All good since I have the extended warranty but I am down my main mile eater right in the middle of riding season.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »
Update: the $1300  ABS pump thing arrived and was installed....and that was not the problem. Now, Big K says it's the wiring harnesses so those are on order.

Yeah warranty coverage is nice, but it's only as good as your dealer. Be very watchful, once they get into the wiring they may change their tune and start pointing at the Rostra again, .....you know..... somehow your wiring messed up their wiring etc etc. and then there goes the warranty coverage and your $$$.

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 11:16:12 AM »
New wiring harnesses fixed the errors but now the speedo doesn't work which the dealer is blaming on the Rostra CC.

The dealer offered to uninstall the CC for 2h of shop labor @ $89/hr. After that if the speedo doesn't work all other work will be covered.

What do you guys think?

The bike has been in the shop for two months.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
New wiring harnesses fixed the errors but now the speedo doesn't work which the dealer is blaming on the Rostra CC.

The dealer offered to uninstall the CC for 2h of shop labor @ $89/hr. After that if the speedo doesn't work all other work will be covered.

What do you guys think?

The bike has been in the shop for two months.
The problem with that is if they remove the Rostra and the speedo still doesn't work then they can fix the real problem and still charge you for removing the Rostra. Hmmm...what to do. They sort of have you by the short hairs here. Do you think they could leave it all in place and just disconnect it "electrically" from the bike so that if it doesn't correct the speedo problem then you or they could reconnect it? The only thing that I can see between the speedo and the Rostra is the connection to the speed sensor and I think the bike would throw a code if that wasn't working.  Do you know if the speedo does it's swing the needle thing when it's first turned on? I'm not sure where your Rostra is tied into the speed sensor, but the sensor wire goes both to the ECU and the instrument module, if the speedo isn't working but the ECU is not giving a code then I would suspect the connection between the sensor and the speedo rather than the Rostra.
Maybe the dealer can "fix" the Rostra as he originally offered (first post this thread) to do at your cost and fix the speedo under warranty when that doesn't fix the problem?  You might want to offer Brian's instructions and maybe even Fred's wiring diagram if you decide to go that way. We all know those work. Not knowing your dealer or the wiring prowess of the PO makes this difficult to help with.
It is potential problems like this that gave me pause when I installed my Rostra. I was lucky I guess, both with my install and my dealer. Best wishes, please keep us informed as you have been doing.

Offline dolomoto

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
Bingo! Dealer called back and said the Rostra fried the speed sensor.

They offered the previous deal to uninstall the Rostra +$130 for the speed sensor.

The other parts will be covered under warranty.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
Well the Rostra hasn't fried any of our speed sensors. See if instead of removing it, if they will fix the Rostra wiring like they first offered to do. It couldn't cost much more than what they want to charge to remove it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
Bingo! Dealer called back and said the Rostra fried the speed sensor.

They offered the previous deal to uninstall the Rostra +$130 for the speed sensor.

The other parts will be covered under warranty.

I'm calling b/s on that one... the sensor is a pulse sensor... how does it fry? you aren't sending any volts to the sensor...
tell them to cut the wire you attached to the gray sensor wire, install the sensor...and when you get the bike back, re attache /splice the wires....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..