Author Topic: My first oil change and site glass is now milky after fresh change...  (Read 4034 times)

wcgreen

I've read about this, but wanted to see what folks thought.  My new 2012 was due an oil change... the previous owner changed it every 3500, and only used Mobil 1.  I did the same.  It was VERY cold here that day and I had to do it that day as it was my only day off this month, being a grad student.  Changed the oil, gear oil with Mobil 1, and K&N filter.  Before I changed it, the oil window was crystal clear.  Now it's milky.  Do I need to do anything?  This is my only transportation so if I need to do something, or change it again now, let me know your thoughts.
Billy
www.wcgreen.net

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: My first oil change and site glass is now milky after fresh change...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
I think it's just condensation.  What does the underneath of the oil cap look like?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

wcgreen

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
I think it's just condensation.  What does the underneath of the oil cap look like?

Well, just walked to the parking garage and looked.  Thick milky foam all in bottom of oil cap.  Now what?  This can't be good and I did nothing wrong as I can tell.  Do you have to have a climate controlled garage to change the oil cause if so, I'm totally screwed. I am in a big, cold, damp, 6 level parking garage.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I think riding it will solve the problem.  You need to burn off the condensation.

http://youtu.be/71itwBP7akA
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

wcgreen

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:15:24 PM »
I think riding it will solve the problem.  You need to burn off the condensation.

Ok... but I changed the oil on Saturday and I drive it every day as it's my only ride. Granted I only do about 10 miles a day, but still ridden every day.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
10 miles will not warm the oil enough to dry the condensation out. Take the long way home and get the engine good and hot.

wcgreen

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
10 miles will not warm the oil enough to dry the condensation out. Take the long way home and get the engine good and hot.
Sounds good!

wcgreen

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
Yeah, it's been VERY cold here and very wet the past week.  I ride it just to school and back and I live very close by.  I need to find an hour on Saturday to ride it and burn off that condensation.  May go to Birmingham and get that front tire changed... hour each way should do it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
That'll do it.  I rather doubt you've got a stuck open thermostat.  Too coincidental with the oil change.

Offline MCP

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
I worked in the UK when I was 19 and had a Norton 850. I only rode a short distance to work and that froth showed up over the winter.

Like others have said, a long ride or 2 should solve that.

wcgreen

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
Thanks guys! Big relief!!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 03:47:13 PM »
You rinsed out your old oil filter in the sink before putting it back on didn't you?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
You rinsed out your old oil filter in the sink before putting it back on didn't you?

LOL!
OK, that is just mean :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »
I have had to do that a couple of times; once, I rode from Rye, NY to Ocean Shores, WA in 48 hours and can say with certainly that will drive the moisture out of the crankcase (and most of the spirit out of your soul too).

Like others have said, cold temperatures combined with short riding distances just do not warm up the crankcase enough to drive off the water. It should not be much of a problem as long as there is not an excessive amount of water in the oil, making a foamy emulsion (Boys!) that will not lubricate the main journals (yep, I said that).

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com