Author Topic: top speed  (Read 82874 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: top speed
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
90 for 5 hours with only stops to fuel.  Never got off the bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline tomp

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
90 for 5 hours with only stops to fuel.  Never got off the bike.

90 on a 14 is like 60 on my Dyna, and still gets decent MPG, too.  The 14 is so smooth at any speed from 40 to three times that. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
When I got off the freeway, about 5 miles down the road, he was receiving a "performance award".... I knew he was gonna get one, old age caries wisdom.

:)

It's one of the things I like about the C14, it's a bit of a sleeper.

Yep.  Although it still looks quite impressive, which is nice.

90 on a 14 is like 60 on my Dyna, and still gets decent MPG, too.  The 14 is so smooth at any speed from 40 to three times that.

Yep yep!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2014, 04:32:26 AM »
130 mph, two up, bags at 20# each,shad 50 top box, guhl reflash, angel GT 55 rear in fifth gear.  Also I am 72 and wife is 68, been a passenger for over 40 years, 50th anniversary next year.

Congrats on those numbers! And I'm not talking about the 130mph either.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »
Congrats on those numbers! And I'm not talking about the 130mph either.   :)
Yes! Having read thru this thread THOSE are the numbers that impress me.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »

I agree.  Could not do that for 5 hours on any of my other bikes.  I ride many miles for work.  Can not risk losing my license, and have not made it to a track.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
Fffffff mehhhhh,,, I regularly do 2x the road limits.... just to make sure my balls are working.

I don't go for many miles, as that is just beggin for an award.. but I do make it hapen periodically..good for the soul.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tomp

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
Fffffff mehhhhh,,, I regularly do 2x the road limits.... just to make sure my balls are working.

I don't go for many miles, as that is just beggin for an award.. but I do make it happen periodically..good for the soul.

I agree with what it does for the soul.  Riding is one of the few things I do where I don't feel my age.  Feel 40-45 years younger. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »
Well, if you blow a bit into the throttle bodies, there is more speed left in the C-14 than I would have thought. Not my bike or ride but an excellent video of a <mostly> stock C-14 (the bike was turbocharged certainly, I am speaking about suspension, bodywork, etc.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5APyfGd0Kk

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomp

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2014, 08:16:14 PM »
Doesn't look like it's going that fast, but I guess it is.  The white stripes are almost a solid line. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2014, 11:57:18 PM »
The best part is when the roadsides turn into a blurred tunnel... and time begins to slow dramitcally...its like a slomo movie....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »
top speed around 270km/h...(i would push her to the limit soon!!! :o)...
everyday speed around 160-200 km/h........ ;)
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2014, 06:53:19 AM »
I've only gone 130 on mine. Would push it further but I'm more afraid of LEO's then I am of death and dismemberment.

elp_jc

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
Hey folks, 2 questions:

These bikes do NOT seem to have a speed limiter at all, no? If they were, it'd be less than its acutal top speed of over 160mph. And I bet not having the side cases makes a big difference, no? I'll buy the cooperdawg sport screen, AreaP slip-on, and ride without bags most of the time, so that should give me maximum top-sped... although I live at 4K of altitude, so maybe 165 indicated if I'm lucky ;).

Out of curiosity, I'm in the process of buying a new leftover '13, and was wondering how you all upshift at WOT on these bikes: use the clutch normally? No clutch and momentarily close the throttle? Just feather the clutch? I've heard a couple on youtube, and I could swear they had a quickshifter (maybe aftermarket). Or clutchless upshifts. Thanks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Hey folks, 2 questions:

These bikes do NOT seem to have a speed limiter at all, no? If they were, it'd be less than its acutal top speed of over 160mph. And I bet not having the side cases makes a big difference, no? I'll buy the cooperdawg sport screen, AreaP slip-on, and ride without bags most of the time, so that should give me maximum top-sped... although I live at 4K of altitude, so maybe 165 indicated if I'm lucky ;).

Out of curiosity, I'm in the process of buying a new leftover '13, and was wondering how you all upshift at WOT on these bikes: use the clutch normally? No clutch and momentarily close the throttle? Just feather the clutch? I've heard a couple on youtube, and I could swear they had a quickshifter (maybe aftermarket). Or clutchless upshifts. Thanks.

Gen 2 C14s (2010 and on) are electronically speed limited to 154. The limiter can be removed though.

Yep, clutchless upshifts.    :)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »
Gen 2 C14s (2010 and on) are electronically speed limited to 154. The limiter can be removed though.

Yep, clutchless upshifts.    :)

www.guhlmotors.com

elp_jc

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »
Gen 2 C14s (2010 and on) are electronically speed limited to 154. The limiter can be removed though. Yep, clutchless upshifts. :)
Thanks Conrad. So all people here reported higher than 154 have 'delimited' their bikes? And is it 154 real or indicated? Real would be like 165 or so indicated.
And thank you for the info on clutchless upshifts. So you just close the throttle a little while upshifting, right? Or does this bike like a more deliberate throttle chopping, to avoid crunching the gears? Thx.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
Thanks Conrad. So all people here reported higher than 154 have 'delimited' their bikes? And is it 154 real or indicated? Real would be like 165 or so indicated.
And thank you for the info on clutchless upshifts. So you just close the throttle a little while upshifting, right? Or does this bike like a more deliberate throttle chopping, to avoid crunching the gears? Thx.

If those folks have a Gen 2 bikes and are reporting speeds above 154, then yes, they've been delimited. Us lucky people with Gen 1 bikes don't have to bother with such nonsense.   :)

I believe it's 154 indicated. I can't say for sure since I have a superior Gen 1 C14. 

As for the clutchless shifts. Preload the shifter a tad, close the throttle a bit, and shift.   

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
Conrad is absolutely correct here: we Gen. 1 owners are not saddled by the constant and nagging reality that must face all Gen. 2 owners: 'I simply cannot go faster than 154 MPH today because of the damned speed limiter!'. It must weigh on them constantly. Every single day they must wonder.... what will happen to me or my loved ones if there is some kind of emergency and I have to get somewhere really, really fast? I may not make it in time and all because of some no- goodnik back at the Kawasaki mother ship who felt it necessary to limit me with artificial means.

So yes, the next time anyone sees a C-14 going down a road, perhaps out in front of your house, at, say, 180 MPH, you can be sure that it is either a Gen. 1 or a Gen. 2 that has successfully undergone the vehicle speed limiter removal.

Brian

If those folks have a Gen 2 bikes and are reporting speeds above 154, then yes, they've been delimited. Us lucky people with Gen 1 bikes don't have to bother with such nonsense.   :)

I believe it's 154 indicated. I can't say for sure since I have a superior Gen 1 C14. 

As for the clutchless shifts. Preload the shifter a tad, close the throttle a bit, and shift.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »

Yep- smooth as butta!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc