Author Topic: top speed  (Read 82881 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: top speed
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:26 AM »
The Can Ams can corner hard, but I would be very leary of trying to corner a trike.

You can steer a trike with your right wrist, if you have enough engine.  ;D
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
BTW, pictures of GPS top speed doesn't always mean truth. Behold, my GPS screen showing my top speed:

I have NEVER gone that fast and don't plan to. I don't know how that got like that as I don't dare do speeds like that.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
Nice run, I have yet to take the Connie for a hyper run

I had my share of hyper runs with my ZX12 and ZX14R. I bought
the Connie to slow down. . .oh well

Do you have PC or Guhl with your 2 brothers?

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

elp_jc

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
Few comments. First, no way in hell a C14 can do 186 mph, like somebody suggested of a 1st gen. That's superbike territory, meaning 200 HP on a 400-lb package. And that leads me to the fact the 'limited' C14 top speed of 160+ indicated mph, is about as high as it gets. For a handful of more mph at best (depending on altitude), it's not worth giving up warranty, plus the expense of tune, etc IMO. But to each his own.

As far as the video of the 167 mph top speed, that guy had to have a quick shifter installed. He upshifter at slightly different rpm, and the upshifts were immediate, and you could hear without closing the throttle. But I'm more intrigued about the DOWNSHIFT. They were automatic-quick, and as far as I know, only BMW added clutchless downshifts in 2014... and you can only make them with the throttle CLOSED. Really curious if that guy has an aftermarket quick-shifter. When I upshift my bike without the clutch, the delay when closing the throttle is obvious. If there wasn't any quick-shifter, then my hats off to that guy ;D.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »
Weight has nothing to do with top speed.
Some people like to think different, but they're wrong. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tomp

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
Weight has nothing to do with top speed.
Some people like to think different, but they're wrong. 8)
Jimmy, rider weight, bike weight, power to weight ratio, or a combo?
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
Weight will have no effect on top speed, only how quickly one gets there. Sort of. A heavier vehicle may actually have a higher terminal speed if the weight is used to counteract lift. On land based vehicles, lift at terminal speed is generally bad.  ;)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
On land based vehicles, lift at terminal speed is generally bad.  ;)
But aircraft love it.  What I've always wondered is how road racing bikes of 5-6 decades ago could go 135 MPH, weighing 350 lbs and have 50HP?   Sure wasn't aerodynamics, nor excessive HP. 

I have read that if  getting a specific bike to a top end of150 MPH required 150 HP, to gain an additional 10 MPH, required an additional 70-80 HP to get there, not just another 10...  Power to weight ratio, or magic?   ;D ;D

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
It's all about wind resistance. Nothing about weight.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
It's all about wind resistance. Nothing about weight.

Yep.  Like I said earlier, at high speeds it is all about raw power vs. aerodynamics.  Weight really doesn't matter all that much for top speed, it matters for acceleration (although high-speed weight certainly matters when you try to slow down :)  )
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
I made the weight reference since a lighter vehicle typically is going to have less mass and less frontal area (therefore, less aerodynamic drag). With everything else equal, a heavier vehicle will take longer to reach top speed (less acceleration), but top speed would be the same indeed.
Having said that, production motorcycles are aerodynamic bricks (with riders in place), and need a lot higher weight/power ratio to reach the same top speed as a car.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »
It's claimed that to double the speed one needs to cube the hp. I'll let the mathematicians figure the actual numbers. Sport Rider has an interesting article about the wind tunnel testing they performed on a Hyabusa and a ZX12

Offline rwnielsen

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »
It's the Inverse Square Law and it's everywhere  ::)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2015, 06:58:14 PM »
If it's an inverse Square Law, why is the hp cubed?  ???
I'm only asking because I honestly don't know.

Offline tomp

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
please show example, using a terminal velocity of 100MPH with 50HP required.  At 200MPH what would the required HP?  Cubed is HP/3 right? 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
I believe it was a error in the article. I think is should be to square the speed the power needs to be cubed. Also, would the coefficient of drag be a factor? We have a lot of folks on this forum that are WAY more educated than I will EVER be. I'm easily confused...

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »
If I knew how to post a link to that page from my mobile device, I would.

Offline tomp

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
I believe it was a error in the article. I think is should be to square the speed the power needs to be cubed. Also, would the coefficient of drag be a factor? We have a lot of folks on this forum that are WAY more educated than I will EVER be. I'm easily confused...
That would mean that 100MPH squared is 10,000MPH.  the HP cubed would be 50X50X50=125,000HP  We went from a 61 Triumph 650 to a Saturn Rocket.  Any thing in between like 100 to 200 MPH?  I'm exhausted after this day, but still curious as to this discussion.  Is my math totally off kilter on this? Been 50 years since school.  Someone help, before I fall asleep.... tp

found this formula below... for volume, if another formula is needed, please post. . .

Volume Formulas

Note: "ab" means "a" multiplied by "b". "a2" means "a squared", which is the same as "a" times "a". "b3" means "b cubed", which is the same as "b" times "b" times "b".

Be careful!! Units count. Use the same units for all measurements.

Offline rwnielsen

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
It would be 200 hp. To go 1/2 as fast would require 12.5 HP.

Offline tomp

« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2015, 07:45:30 PM »
It would be 200 hp. To go 1/2 as fast would require 12.5 HP.
Formula please.  Don't doubt you, just trying to understand, like others.