Author Topic: Rattling OEM Top Box fix?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Rattling OEM Top Box fix?
« on: February 01, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
Hi all.  It rattles and clunks over simple neighborhood bumps even with nothing in it.  Flexes if you move it with your hand.  I assume its flex is due to the cheap givi mounting board rather than their more robust ones.  I assume they all came with the generic board I have on mine.  Any successful options to fix, adjust, reinforce without buying a better mounting board?

BTW - in all other regards it works fine, sits straight, etc...

Offline Landon

Re: Rattling OEM Top Box fix?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
Mines fine, but I have Phil's rack and ditched the stock plastic tail rack.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:43:22 PM »
Hi all.  It rattles and clunks over simple neighborhood bumps even with nothing in it.  Flexes if you move it with your hand.  I assume its flex is due to the cheap givi mounting board rather than their more robust ones.  I assume they all came with the generic board I have on mine.  Any successful options to fix, adjust, reinforce without buying a better mounting board?

I have a fairly robust Givi mounting plate and the Givi SR410 rack. The slop is in the rear latch IMO. I just put an old Harbor Freight leather work glove under the case before
I mount the case to the rack. Seems to work most of the time, better when the case is loaded and not quite as well when it's empty.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »
I have a fairly robust Givi mounting plate and the Givi SR410 rack. The slop is in the rear latch IMO. I just put an old Harbor Freight leather work glove under the case before
I mount the case to the rack. Seems to work most of the time, better when the case is loaded and not quite as well when it's empty.

Slop in the latch may very well be it.  I'll try something to take the slop out and see.  Thanks for the input - may just be the "fix" for this minor annoyance.  BTW - can't hear it one bit taking a left hand sweeper at tripe digits  8) 

Offline dailybibliotaph

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:39 AM »
I've seen some people put velcro pads on both the case and the pad. Don't have to stick together - just the soft velcro part on both.
The Internet - feeding conspiracies to the uneducated since 1991

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
And another great idea.  Awesome.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
ANGELO: Did the trunk come with small rubber pads between the base-plate and trunk bottom?? I have tons of the kind pictured below. Let me know if they might help.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
I have a Givi 55 that is also pretty loose. The cause is that the rubber bumpers it rests on are not tall enough to pre- load the latch at all. Putting something compressible, such as a folded hand towel, under the box will take out the rattle, just as Marty suggested in this thread.

I tried strapping an elk hoof to the top of the box but that did not help with the rattle..... although it does draw a LOT of attention when riding down the road.

As I ride mostly 2-up, the passenger serves to load the top box but I notice it immediately when riding alone.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
You could also try some thick felt pads. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes. I've used them for a lot of strange applications. I used it on my car to prevent a clang when my exhaust occasionally hits my trailer hitch receiver. No amount of repositioning of the exhaust works on this particular model, and Reese and Hidden Hitch acknowledged the receiver was made incorrectly and they weren't going to change it. So...felt pad.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  Put some felt floor savers I had here in the garage for adding to chair legs and it is better just flicking it by hand (easy).  When the weather clears will get out over some bumps and fine tune.  Thanks for the insight.  No idea why I was chasing the rack instead of the latch slop.