Author Topic: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review  (Read 32088 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Steve's Flash w/Decel...my review
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »
I would have paid $50 to get an ECU sent to me to use so I didn't have to park my bike for what seemed like a long time.

Can't be done. your ECU has a unique identifier to mate with your Kipass unit. It's easy to have a couple eCU's run on the bike if you can key them with a kds unit.  Steve

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2016, 07:46:54 AM »
I noticed a pretty good difference between Guhl and stock. When I wacked the throttle with Guhl at 2500 rpm, it was VERY apparent that you needed to be pointing where you wanted to go before you did that.

Steve's flash feels smoother and has the low end, but I have only ridden it once and had to get somewhere. I am looking forward to running against my buddy's Multistrada, because we ran from 'rolling in 1st gear at idle' to redline in 3 gears and we were dead nuts even. We did it at least 3x and the results were identical. I was surprised. I thought he would blow me into the weeds. We are both in our late 50's and have Ben riding for 30+ years, raced dirt bikes, done track days etc so while we're not Marquez and Rossi, we know how to twist a throttle. I think we are gonna ride tomorrow afternoon, so I should be able to go to ECO mode and run as stock gaitly even, then switch to normal mode and beat him handily. Testing is fun!

Excellent! I've been looking for a review of someone who has the Guhl going to Steve's flash. This flash is sounding better and better. The weather in TX this winter has been outstanding and I just don't want to be without a bike for a week. Maybe next winter.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »
  Can't be done. your ECU has a unique identifier to mate with your Kipass unit. It's easy to have a couple eCU's run on the bike if you can key them with a kds unit.  Steve

I was told to write down some number on my ECU before shipping.   I think I did this?  It already had a number written on  it in marker, I assume by Guhl. 

Why is it necessary to store this number?  And what is the number and what is the purpose of it?  And what's the downsides if that number is not recorded?  Mine runs fine so I am lucky.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Conrad

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »
I noticed a pretty good difference between Guhl and stock. When I wacked the throttle with Guhl at 2500 rpm, it was VERY apparent that you needed to be pointing where you wanted to go before you did that.

Steve's flash feels smoother and has the low end, but I have only ridden it once and had to get somewhere. I am looking forward to running against my buddy's Multistrada, because we ran from 'rolling in 1st gear at idle' to redline in 3 gears and we were dead nuts even. We did it at least 3x and the results were identical. I was surprised. I thought he would blow me into the weeds. We are both in our late 50's and have Ben riding for 30+ years, raced dirt bikes, done track days etc so while we're not Marquez and Rossi, we know how to twist a throttle. I think we are gonna ride tomorrow afternoon, so I should be able to go to ECO mode and run as stock gaitly even, then switch to normal mode and beat him handily. Testing is fun!

Who's Ben?    ???        ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tomp

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Who's Ben?    ???        ;)
Gotta love autocorrects on today's computers. Normally they correct things wrong.   ;D
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:33 AM »
He's the autocorrect asshole on my phone. I saw that and tried to go back and edit it but the edit interface was horrifying and I just hoped everybofy here was smart enough to figure it out.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »
I was told to write down some number on my ECU before shipping.   I think I did this?  It already had a number written on  it in marker, I assume by Guhl. 

Why is it necessary to store this number?  And what is the number and what is the purpose of it?  And what's the downsides if that number is not recorded?  Mine runs fine so I am lucky.

My instructions tell everyone to write down the PN IE 21175-0131, etc. This isn't the ID #, this is the part number. I tell folks to keep that number at their location so that in the event of a loss, we know what ECU to replace it with. I have a procedure in place that in the event of loss we'll get your bike up and running with money in your pocket.  I am collecting ECU's so that in the event of a loss I have replacements, or we can get one from ebay. We insure for 1100.00, in event of a loss we can replace the ecu for under 300.00 and then get the local dealer to key it to kipass. 1/2 hour labor. And yes, I have tried to think of everything...  :yikes:  Steve

Offline Conrad

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
He's the autocorrect asshole on my phone. I saw that and tried to go back and edit it but the edit interface was horrifying and I just hoped everybofy here was smart enough to figure it out.

Thus the  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
Not quite the same but yes. Before I got the Guhl flash, I hardly noticed much difference between the 2. After the Guhl flash there is a very noticeable difference.

Indeed... The stock FEAM vs. non-FEAM wasn't very noticeable.  But after a Ghul flash it is BIG difference between the two modes.  One should notice a similar difference if flashed with Steve's.

Nitpick (not directed at anyone in particular)- there is no such thing as an "ECO mode"... but there is a "FEA mode".  There are two "ECO"-labeled icons on the dash, and they mean different things.  One of them indicates that FEAM (Fuel Economy Assist Mode) is activated (italic letters with some lines).  The other just indicates that you are riding in an economical manner (looks like three circles).  Kawasaki went out of their way to make it confusing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2016, 06:46:24 AM »

I think your friend will smoke you if you are in ECO mode, you loose a lot of top end power at WOT.  The first time I went WOT in first I was rather un-impressed, then I realized I was in ECO mode.  I then switched ECO off and tried another first gear WOT ... yaaa whoooo ... traction light flashed on and kept the front end down but man was there a difference.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2016, 07:14:51 AM »
I call it eco mode because it says eco mode on the dash when I press the button. Feel free to call it My Little Pony if you want.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »
I call it eco mode because it says eco mode on the dash when I press the button. Feel free to call it My Little Pony if you want.

Actually, it says "Eco" on the dash, not "eco mode".  Indeed, call it whatever you like, although the manual calls it "Fuel Economy Assist Mode".  Luckily they didn't call the gas tank the "Go Juice Container" or the antilock brake system the "OMG Super Brake Pulsation System".  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
I think your friend will smoke you if you are in ECO mode, you loose a lot of top end power at WOT.  The first time I went WOT in first I was rather un-impressed, then I realized I was in ECO mode.  I then switched ECO off and tried another first gear WOT ... yaaa whoooo ... traction light flashed on and kept the front end down but man was there a difference.

That is true.  Stock, one might not notice much difference between FEA and regular mode in low or mid-end, but it gets more pronounced in high-end. 

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »
Actually, it says "Eco" on the dash, not "eco mode".  Indeed, call it whatever you like, although the manual calls it "Fuel Economy Assist Mode".  Luckily they didn't call the gas tank the "Go Juice Container" or the antilock brake system the "OMG Super Brake Pulsation System".  :)

To me, when someone says, "I don't mean to be (x)", that means some serious (x) is coming.  Not only was I not disappointed, I was treated to distinguishing between "eco" and "eco mode".  That's some black belt ninja Yoda level (x) right there.  Truly, we are in the presence of greatness. Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
To me, when someone says, "I don't mean to be (x)", that means some serious (x) is coming.  Not only was I not disappointed, I was treated to distinguishing between "eco" and "eco mode".  That's some black belt ninja Yoda level (x) right there.  Truly, we are in the presence of greatness. Thanks.

The forums were greatly protected by your suppositions and inaccurate interpretation of my postings.  Rest assured that your position as the great exposer of malintent and dark mind control will remain secure for eons to come!  Thanks, back at you!

Offline tomp

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
The unknowing, messing with informed, caring management again.  Does seem to happen from time to time.  you handled it better than I would have... tomp

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
Thanks!

Offline tomp

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
Thanks!
Sorry, but the reply was to maxtog, as he is forum management, or perhaps you knew that, and y'all were having a fun battle that others like myself were unaware.

FWIW, I thought it was called the eco mode too, but learned differently here. 

A great weekend to all, and a Happy Easter too.  tp

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
No worries.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:01 PM »
No worries.

A little banter here and there keeps things lively.  Some of my postings may come across as annoying or overly corrective, and that is never the intent.  Text postings, by nature, are easily misinterpreted, despite emoticons or other devices.  zggtr.org is the best forum ever (well, at least the best of many I have seen/used).

Back to the subject at hand...  I am glad to see that Steve is taking precautions against lost or damaged ECU units.  It would be a really huge bummer to find out your Concours is out of service due to a shipping error or whatnot.