Author Topic: How do you carry your camping gear?  (Read 22129 times)

Offline warjarrett

Re: How do you carry your camping gear?
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2016, 03:00:38 AM »
I was able to pile a sleeping bag, a tent, and bag of personal belongings on the stock rack and the passenger seat. But I don't see how two-up PLUS all this stuff could fit using just that little rack. Never-the-less, where there is a will there is definitely a way.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »
My attempt at building a quick attach rack for camping. I am not sure how I want to do the attachments points for the bungees yet.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »
That's a work of art!  But please tell me you aren't going to use the 'PLASTIC' rear carrier.  I wouldn't trust that to carry more than a sandwich.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »
I was! Is it that weak? I totally have to redesign if I use something else but that would be better than picking my gear off the road!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »
It was recalled once and replaced and we've heard a story or two of the new ones breaking.  Mine is sitting on a shelf in the garage where it can't hurt anyone....POS.  If you are going to carry any kind of weight go for one of the metal replacement racks like from Phil or others.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
That's a work of art!  But please tell me you aren't going to use the 'PLASTIC' rear carrier.  I wouldn't trust that to carry more than a sandwich.

I don't know, I like my sandwiches BIG.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
Then you need a metal rack....sigh.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
I was! Is it that weak? I totally have to redesign if I use something else but that would be better than picking my gear off the road!
Wayne

Nice woodwork!  :thumbs:

Yes the OEM plastic rack is not very good but it may suit your purpose if I understand your design. (I'm not a fan of the original rack but it may be overly hated as much as the large muffler, besides I'm trying to save you a little work and money here.  ;) ) Obviously with only two screws plus the sculpted cut out and slot plugs to resist lateral loads you might want to do more up front. If I understand your design the front of your rack extends over the rear of your seat? And you'll have something under it so it is resting on the seat? If it is just cantilevered above the seat then I do believe the OEM rack will eventually fail when loaded (not at first but eventually depending on how much you use it.). If the front of your rack is going to be resting on the pillion portion of your seat then maybe some downward extensions might be a good idea in that area to resist side loads and excess lateral forces being levered back to the OEM rack. These could just be shaped blocks of wood that project down from the underside of your rack and rest between the seat and the support arms/rails.....that is if I understand how your rack is supposed to work. Another item of concern regarding the strength of the under supporting OEM rack is the size and wind exposure of your load. If the load is bungied to the bike instead of the rack, then no problem. However if a large bulky wind exposed bundle is bungied only to your rack then it may stress the OEM rack in the opposite direction than it would be when stopped, this repeated back and forth stress would no doubt accelerate failure potential (cracking or bolt pull through) at the bolt holes of the underlying OEM rack. I'm certainly no engineer, perhaps Brian or any other engineer could chime in here.

("Easy boys" applies to all the above mentioning of rack and seat and especially to "the front of your rack extends over the rear of your seat?" and if needed  ::) to "Nice woodwork!")

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
Excellent usage of the 'Easy Boys' phrase!  :thumbs:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 12:50:41 PM »
Then you need a metal rack....sigh.

Way ahead of you  ;)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
You have it figured out FM! My plan is to stuff something between the rack and the seat. I also plan to bungee a strap or two to the siderails and have thought of some standoffs for the side rails as well. Have to wait until I get back to the bike. The rack will not be carring much weight but more than a sandwhich 8) Thanks for the input.
[quo

te author=fartymarty link=topic=20484.msg259083#msg259083 date=1457031006]
Nice woodwork!  :thumbs:

Yes the OEM plastic rack is not very good but it may suit your purpose if I understand your design. (I'm not a fan of the original rack but it may be overly hated as much as the large muffler, besides I'm trying to save you a little work and money here.  ;) ) Obviously with only two screws plus the sculpted cut out and slot plugs to resist lateral loads you might want to do more up front. If I understand your design the front of your rack extends over the rear of your seat? And you'll have something under it so it is resting on the seat? If it is just cantilevered above the seat then I do believe the OEM rack will eventually fail when loaded (not at first but eventually depending on how much you use it.). If the front of your rack is going to be resting on the pillion portion of your seat then maybe some downward extensions might be a good idea in that area to resist side loads and excess lateral forces being levered back to the OEM rack. These could just be shaped blocks of wood that project down from the underside of your rack and rest between the seat and the support arms/rails.....that is if I understand how your rack is supposed to work. Another item of concern regarding the strength of the under supporting OEM rack is the size and wind exposure of your load. If the load is bungied to the bike instead of the rack, then no problem. However if a large bulky wind exposed bundle is bungied only to your rack then it may stress the OEM rack in the opposite direction than it would be when stopped, this repeated back and forth stress would no doubt accelerate failure potential (cracking or bolt pull through) at the bolt holes of the underlying OEM rack. I'm certainly no engineer, perhaps Brian or any other engineer could chime in here.

("Easy boys" applies to all the above mentioning of rack and seat and especially to "the front of your rack extends over the rear of your seat?" and if needed  ::) to "Nice woodwork!")
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
My plan is to stuff something between the rack and the seat. I also plan to bungee a strap or two to the side rails and have thought of some standoffs for the side rails as well.  The rack will not be carrying much weight but more than a sandwich 8)

Well in that case I think the OEM rack will work for your camping needs. Now being made of wood I also recommend that you encapsulate your rack in epoxy like many home boat builders do. West System 105 and Glen-L's Poxy-Shield are both good products, but not cheap. However paint alone might actually outlast the bike if you don't ride/park in the rain much.

I'm also of the opinion that Phil's rack would be a good investment if you ever want a top case or care to lash other stuff to your bike.  It would be simple enough to change out as needed, but for now I think your camping gear plan will work with the OEM rack. Unless some naysayer comes along (qualified: like with a degree or at least got a C in calculus) then I think you should carry on.  (<-- SWIDT  ::) )

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2016, 03:03:39 PM »
Off topic but I'm curious about the workshop. I'm I seeing curved glue-lam ribs supporting wooden plank decking on a Quonset style building?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
Yes it is a WPA built project. Used to be the town hall and the local school played ball games there.Now itis a dandy shop where I teach high school carpentry classes.
Wayne

Off topic but I'm curious about the workshop. I'm I seeing curved glue-lam ribs supporting wooden plank decking on a Quonset style building?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
My plastic carrier broke.  Kawi sent me a new one under warranty, but it was shipped off to someone who needed it for a special project.  I built my own replacement out of a slab of aluminum.  I also added helmet locks to it since Kawasaki decided we all would want to put our helmets in the bags, despite the fact that when most of us go on a trip the bags are full of our gear. I have a couple of pictures but they aren't real good.  My piece is the black painted part under the plastic top case bracket.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »
Pics on the bike to follow. I am happy with it. Added supports for the front. These will also resist side loads. Come on summer!!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
Pics on the bike to follow. I am happy with it. Added supports for the front. These will also resist side loads. Come on summer!!
Wayne
Lookin good! I like the front supports.
The supports aren't going to be fastened down, right?..just resting on the bike? I ask because of the holes I see in the supports.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
No, i twill be tied down. I dont want it bouncing. I will get some more paracord  the white stuff. It is very solid. I like the platform and not having to attach near bodywork.
Wayne

Lookin good! I like the front supports.
The supports aren't going to be fastened down, right?..just resting on the bike? I ask because of the holes I see in the supports.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »
This reminds me of my old Yamaha SX 650 that I took on many camping adventures. The gear was held by a motley collection of bungee cords. I could never be the last rider because someone always had to be behind me to pick the items that fell off. (But I did really look forward to sleeping in a soaking wet sleeping bag.)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
I am hopingthis willprevent that problem ;)

This reminds me of my old Yamaha SX 650 that I took on many camping adventures. The gear was held by a motley collection of bungee cords. I could never be the last rider because someone always had to be behind me to pick the items that fell off. (But I did really look forward to sleeping in a soaking wet sleeping bag.)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1