Author Topic: I'm an idiot or a masochist  (Read 12868 times)

Offline PH14

Re: I'm an idiot or a masochist
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »
I have a pair of Tourmaster winter gloves that have a nylon glove cover tucked into a pocket in the back. When it rains you just pull out the cover and slide it over the rest of the glove. There's also a little squeegee incorporated so you can clean off your shield occasionally. They are insulated so I mostly use them for cold weather riding. If it's hot out, 70+, I just wear my normal gloves and let my hands get wet. They dry fast when it stops raining.

I have a pair like that as well. The covers annoy me a bit. I like the feel of a waterproof glove that uses a waterproof liner or membrane more than the type with covers. I get a better feel on the controls with them, but you run into the issue of the out parts of the glove getting wet and cooling your hands in colder weather. The last pair of gloves I wore were the type with an outer rain cover. I carry both types.

Offline PH14

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
Yep, keeping the hands warm as well as dry is another reason I use the Aerostitch covers- I can wear my heated gloves underneath them. In fact, what works really well is Gerber heated glove liners; they are very short (they do not even reach the wrist), light and flexible but provide heat electrically of course. But they are NOT gloves and need to be covered or they will wear out in one day's riding so the waterproof covers are the ideal solution, at least for me, for riding in the cold and wet.

And once any part of the body gets soaked and / or really chilled, the ride is going to be unpleasant at best. My first trip through the Rockies was in June and I did not bother to bring heated socks because how could I possibly need them? I nearly did not bring heated pants but fortunately stopped short of that disaster of a mistake. I rode for hours in the low 40's, in the rain, in the mountains with nothing but riding boots and my feet got so cold and ached so bad I thought I would have to quit. After that ride, I replaced the original boot soles with heated boot soles and now whenever I wear my riding boots, winter or summer, they have a cable hanging out of the top. :-)  Once even took a treadmill stress test with the cables from those boots banging the boots for the entire test.... but that is a different story.

Brian

Staying warm keeps you safe. I have ridden a lot in cold weather, and still have no heated gear. I do have good gear and am good at layering properly. I rode from Iowa to Pennsylvania one day, after first scraping the ice off the bike, and it didn't break into the 40s until I hit Indianapolis, about the halfway point in an 800 mile ride. It never got above 43 that day. I use a silk sock liner and wool socks. They work wonders. One issue I have noticed people have with boots, and gloves for that matter, is getting them too tight. If your boot is tight, your feet will be cold. Mine are big enough to allow good socks to do their job, trapping air pockets that help insulate you from the cold.

I was planning on getting a heated liner and gloves and possibly the insoles had I needed to ride home the end of November though. I can do it without them, but heated gear is wonderful. The only thing to remember with heated gear on a long ride, is to take backup gear, in case the heated gear fails. It can happen. It happened to a friend of mine, and he was stuck in very cold conditions without warm gear. That is a lot like people who drive across country in their car for the holidays in nothing but jeans a flip flops or other inappropriate attire since they feel they will always be in a heated car or inside, not taking into account what would happe if they get stuck in snow or have a break down on the side of the road in bittier cold.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »
I have actually had a controller fail on me while riding in the mid 20-s F; we were about an hour (highway) away from home and I could not have made the trip, at least in anything even resembling a continuous ride, w/out the heated gear. And because the controller failed, all the heated gear failed; socks, pants, jacket liner and gloves. I ended up stopping in a local Radio Shack and hacking together a new cable end for the controller and made it home in comfort. But you are absolutely right- if anyone is going to ride such that he / she is counting on heated gear, then that ride could come to a forced end at any time from nothing more serious than a chafed wire.

Again, the time it 'bit' me was riding across the country from NY to WA, all highway, in the first week of June (6 June to start- it has proven to be a lucky day for some Americans in the past.... :-)  ). As it was early summer, I <knew> that taking heated socks was not only not needed but ridiculous. Good thing I was not so foolish regarding my heated gloves.

Brian

<snip>

I was planning on getting a heated liner and gloves and possibly the insoles had I needed to ride home the end of November though. I can do it without them, but heated gear is wonderful. The only thing to remember with heated gear on a long ride, is to take backup gear, in case the heated gear fails. It can happen. It happened to a friend of mine, and he was stuck in very cold conditions without warm gear. That is a lot like people who drive across country in their car for the holidays in nothing but jeans a flip flops or other inappropriate attire since they feel they will always be in a heated car or inside, not taking into account what would happe if they get stuck in snow or have a break down on the side of the road in bittier cold.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
Good thing that happened before Radio Shack closed their stores. I was sad when they closed. I still have places near my home in PA that supply components, they are distributors for repair shops, but when traveling, Radio Shack was great.

I still plan on getting heated gloves and possibly other gear at some point. I have put it off since the 80's when I had a GoldWing. I ride all year and in the middle of Winter I tell my self I will buy some, then procrastinate and when Spring comes I figure I don't need them.

I will be adding some Aerotech glove covers to my arsenal though. They are nice since they pack so small. I still prefer a waterproof glove with no cover, but for long days, the covers prevent the outer shell soak. I have had them in the past but wore them out. Thanks for reminding me of them.

I have actually had a controller fail on me while riding in the mid 20-s F; we were about an hour (highway) away from home and I could not have made the trip, at least in anything even resembling a continuous ride, w/out the heated gear. And because the controller failed, all the heated gear failed; socks, pants, jacket liner and gloves. I ended up stopping in a local Radio Shack and hacking together a new cable end for the controller and made it home in comfort. But you are absolutely right- if anyone is going to ride such that he / she is counting on heated gear, then that ride could come to a forced end at any time from nothing more serious than a chafed wire.

Again, the time it 'bit' me was riding across the country from NY to WA, all highway, in the first week of June (6 June to start- it has proven to be a lucky day for some Americans in the past.... :-)  ). As it was early summer, I <knew> that taking heated socks was not only not needed but ridiculous. Good thing I was not so foolish regarding my heated gloves.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
Just a thought because I try not to spend other people's money but.... if you are considering heated gloves, you may want to consider getting a heated jacket liner as well. The reason is that the jacket liner provides the wiring down the sleeves to power the gloves, and takes a dual controller that will allow you to easily control the heat output of the gloves and jacket liner separately. Not cheap but it does make a really nice rig to get into / out of and also to use when riding. You absolutely can use the gloves alone but you have to either use the 'Y' harness that goes down each sleeve and then plug a controller into the other end, or wire the bike such that a controlled set of leads dangles near the handlebars; it works, it is just not 'slick' IMO and takes away a lot of the enjoyment of cooler / cold weather riding.

Brian

Good thing that happened before Radio Shack closed their stores. I was sad when they closed. I still have places near my home in PA that supply components, they are distributors for repair shops, but when traveling, Radio Shack was great.

I still plan on getting heated gloves and possibly other gear at some point. I have put it off since the 80's when I had a GoldWing. I ride all year and in the middle of Winter I tell my self I will buy some, then procrastinate and when Spring comes I figure I don't need them.

I will be adding some Aerotech glove covers to my arsenal though. They are nice since they pack so small. I still prefer a waterproof glove with no cover, but for long days, the covers prevent the outer shell soak. I have had them in the past but wore them out. Thanks for reminding me of them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2015, 02:57:21 PM »
Just a thought because I try not to spend other people's money but.... if you are considering heated gloves, you may want to consider getting a heated jacket liner as well. The reason is that the jacket liner provides the wiring down the sleeves to power the gloves, and takes a dual controller that will allow you to easily control the heat output of the gloves and jacket liner separately. Not cheap but it does make a really nice rig to get into / out of and also to use when riding. You absolutely can use the gloves alone but you have to either use the 'Y' harness that goes down each sleeve and then plug a controller into the other end, or wire the bike such that a controlled set of leads dangles near the handlebars; it works, it is just not 'slick' IMO and takes away a lot of the enjoyment of cooler / cold weather riding.

Brian

That has been my plan actually, but as I said, I keep putting it off. I seem to be able to stay warm without them, but have used them and do realize just how nice they are. I figured it would be easier with the liner as well from a connection standpoint.

You don't like spending other people's money huh...I on the other hand don't mind doing so. You are welcome to order me a heated liner and gloves. I won't mind at all.  :finger_fing11:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »
Brian, there's a reason both of those guys are smiling...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
Brian, there's a reason both of those guys are smiling...

:rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 04:33:19 PM »
Just a thought because I try not to spend other people's money but.... if you are considering heated gloves, you may want to consider getting a heated jacket liner as well.

I simply could not ride below around 50F without my heated liner.  I used to be able to tolerate cold a bit better, but seems that flew out the window several years ago.

Riding without it, yeah, that would be masochistic!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 05:09:59 PM »
+1  used it yesterday and this morning.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.