Author Topic: I'm an idiot or a masochist  (Read 12870 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: I'm an idiot or a masochist
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 05:14:25 AM »
PH,

You have a 1st gen C-14 right? Do you have hand air deflectors installed? They work wonders for keep the rain from soaking your gloves.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 05:15:38 AM »
Real men don't use hand air deflectors...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 05:16:51 AM »
Real men don't use hand air deflectors...

What do they use?    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 05:17:44 AM »
Absolutely nothing.. ;D

I took mine off.  Had the Baker hand wings but the well nuts they were screwed into disentegrated..

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 05:34:09 AM »
Absolutely nothing.. ;D

I took mine off.  Had the Baker hand wings but the well nuts they were screwed into disentegrated..

What about bacon?

I just put my Motax air deflectors back on. Those things work great!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »
I can keep the air off my gloves by lowering the screen but then my head gets cold.  I keep thinking and thinking about this but nothing is happening.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 05:54:48 AM »
I can keep the air off my gloves by lowering the screen but then my head gets cold.  I keep thinking and thinking about this but nothing is happening.

Do your thinking with the screen up. A cold brain doesn't work as well as a warm brain. Just ask our politicians. 

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
Do your thinking with the screen up. A cold brain doesn't work as well as a warm brain. Just ask our politicians.

Despite what they might say, I think that most would agree that, as far as politicians go, temperature hasn't seemed to make much of a difference...

;D

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline PH14

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »
PH,

You have a 1st gen C-14 right? Do you have hand air deflectors installed? They work wonders for keep the rain from soaking your gloves.

I do have a Gen-1 and I do have defectors. After so many miles though, eventually they get wet.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »
Interesting- I have had Baker hand wings for years and my nuts are fine; in fact, the hand wings actually help my nuts stay warm and dry in the winter or whenever it rains. Perhaps you screwed too hard and your nuts could not keep up? Maybe you just need new, tougher nuts?

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 07:20:35 PM »
True enough- riding long enough in the rain and everyplace gets wet. In the end, it is only the gear you wear that will protect you, not any kind of fairing or similar.

Aerotech glove covers will keep your hands dry. They are the worst thing in the world otherwise but they do keep out the water- provided you put them UNDER your coat sleeves; if not, eventually the water running down your arms will soak your hands to the point where you can pour the water out of them too. And it is tough to push the gauntlents of those things under a riding coat, especially the second gauntlet (because by then you are wearing the other glove and they do not allow quite as much dexterity as boxing gloves would....).

Brian

I do have a Gen-1 and I do have defectors. After so many miles though, eventually they get wet.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Interesting- I have had Baker hand wings for years and my nuts are fine; in fact, the hand wings actually help my nuts stay warm and dry in the winter or whenever it rains. Perhaps you screwed too hard and your nuts could not keep up? Maybe you just need new, tougher nuts?

Brian

:battle:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »

Brian

Yeah Jim, how old are those nuts anyways?    ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »
They've got a few years on them...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »
I have heard they dry out and shrink over time. Murph's has new, really nice nuts that he will sell you for just a few dollars. I bought some when a couple of my nuts fell out and I lost them....

Brian

Yeah Jim, how old are those nuts anyways?    ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
Kirby would be the foremost forum authority on old nuts. What say he?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Kirby only likes new nuts and in fact is having a wonderful time with all the nuts falling out of the white oak out front. I have never seen so many acorns myself- for whatever reason, it is a BIG year for oak nuts. ??

As far as Kirby's OEM nuts, I am not sure they even existed. That whole.... 'area' of Kirby is rather, uhm.... gone so I cannot tell what used to be there (or not be there as the case may be). ?? I can take a close-up photo if you would like to see for yourself though, and maybe come up with your own theory(s)?

Brian

Kirby would be the foremost forum authority on old nuts. What say he?

Offline PH14

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
True enough- riding long enough in the rain and everyplace gets wet. In the end, it is only the gear you wear that will protect you, not any kind of fairing or similar.

Aerotech glove covers will keep your hands dry. They are the worst thing in the world otherwise but they do keep out the water- provided you put them UNDER your coat sleeves; if not, eventually the water running down your arms will soak your hands to the point where you can pour the water out of them too. And it is tough to push the gauntlents of those things under a riding coat, especially the second gauntlet (because by then you are wearing the other glove and they do not allow quite as much dexterity as boxing gloves would....).

Brian

So true, and that is one of the reasons the ride took longer than on a dry day. Getting the gloves under the cuffs securely takes more time. They definitely have to be under the sleeves of the rain jacket or you get wet.

My hands never got wet thankfully. What does seem to happen, is that the outer part of the glove does get wet after a long time, and the wind hitting them cools them causing you hands to get cold. In the Summer it doesn't really matter, it is warm enough out that you don't have a problem. When the temperature is in the low 50s or dips into the 40s as it did on this trip, it becomes an issue. A nice silk glove liner helps a lot, as does wool. Wool is too thick for my gloves, but my silk liners do a great job. Of course the silk liners were in Pittsburgh so I did't have them to use.  ::)

I have always brought multiple pairs of waterproof gloves on long ride just in case. I need to order some more Glacier Gloves. They are nice in addition to other motorcycle specific rain gloves. They pack small and are nice in case you accidentally get rain in your other gloves, or if the outer layer gets wet.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 01:27:50 PM »
I have a pair of Tourmaster winter gloves that have a nylon glove cover tucked into a pocket in the back. When it rains you just pull out the cover and slide it over the rest of the glove. There's also a little squeegee incorporated so you can clean off your shield occasionally. They are insulated so I mostly use them for cold weather riding. If it's hot out, 70+, I just wear my normal gloves and let my hands get wet. They dry fast when it stops raining.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
Yep, keeping the hands warm as well as dry is another reason I use the Aerostitch covers- I can wear my heated gloves underneath them. In fact, what works really well is Gerber heated glove liners; they are very short (they do not even reach the wrist), light and flexible but provide heat electrically of course. But they are NOT gloves and need to be covered or they will wear out in one day's riding so the waterproof covers are the ideal solution, at least for me, for riding in the cold and wet.

And once any part of the body gets soaked and / or really chilled, the ride is going to be unpleasant at best. My first trip through the Rockies was in June and I did not bother to bring heated socks because how could I possibly need them? I nearly did not bring heated pants but fortunately stopped short of that disaster of a mistake. I rode for hours in the low 40's, in the rain, in the mountains with nothing but riding boots and my feet got so cold and ached so bad I thought I would have to quit. After that ride, I replaced the original boot soles with heated boot soles and now whenever I wear my riding boots, winter or summer, they have a cable hanging out of the top. :-)  Once even took a treadmill stress test with the cables from those boots banging the boots for the entire test.... but that is a different story.

Brian

So true, and that is one of the reasons the ride took longer than on a dry day. Getting the gloves under the cuffs securely takes more time. They definitely have to be under the sleeves of the rain jacket or you get wet.

My hands never got wet thankfully. What does seem to happen, is that the outer part of the glove does get wet after a long time, and the wind hitting them cools them causing you hands to get cold. In the Summer it doesn't really matter, it is warm enough out that you don't have a problem. When the temperature is in the low 50s or dips into the 40s as it did on this trip, it becomes an issue. A nice silk glove liner helps a lot, as does wool. Wool is too thick for my gloves, but my silk liners do a great job. Of course the silk liners were in Pittsburgh so I did't have them to use.  ::)

I have always brought multiple pairs of waterproof gloves on long ride just in case. I need to order some more Glacier Gloves. They are nice in addition to other motorcycle specific rain gloves. They pack small and are nice in case you accidentally get rain in your other gloves, or if the outer layer gets wet.