Author Topic: 2016 announced  (Read 24185 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2016 announced
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
To suggest that the speedo is inaccurate, but the odometer is correct, is some funny stuff. :rotflmao:

I am not saying it is the case, but it is completely possible.  Neither the speedometer nor the odometer is  cable driven, so the ECU can display anything it wants to :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
I am not saying it is the case, but it is completely possible.  Neither the speedometer nor the odometer is  cable driven, so the ECU can display anything it wants to :)

This is true; even easier to make ECU bikes have speedo and odo that don't match; just program it in. Speedo healers work on the main signal from the speed sensor, which is why both odo and speedo are impacted. Crack the code further downstream and you 'could' change them independently. Doubt that's possible outside of the factory. For cable bikes, the odo gearing determines the miles and the needle spring weight (I think) determines needle deflection. They could make a needle say 100mph when you're really going 50 and have the miles still be accurate.

Maybe RedRambler knows.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline tomp

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2015, 10:36:27 PM »
Lot's of stuff on the interweb about this speedo error.  Basically they all state that motorcycles are set at 6-10% over actual speed, while the odo's are very accurate.  Accuracy for the odo's were/are needed for warranty and maintenance purposes, but optimistic speedos were there to eliminate the possibility of law suit clams that the speedos were slow and causing folks to be ticketed, for speed, when they thought they were traveling the legal speed. 

The worst I have owned in the past decade was a Triumph T100, that was a consistent 10% off to the plus side at all speeds.  Guess that was to make owners believe they were doing the TON, which wasn't easy to get to, when they were really at 90MPH.  Most of my bikes read 33 at 35 MPH radar speed readers, in my town.  If that % is consistent, that would be around 4MPH at 60-70.   I stick to that formula, and have never been bothered by the po-lice when riding for speeding. 

Also read for years that GPS readings are only fully accurate if you can travel on an unobstructed road for several miles, at a concistant speed, allowing the GPS and the satellite enough time to sync properly.   No scientist here, just repeating what I have heard for many years.  tomp

Funny, but it was the fact that the '16 was not improved, as we hoped, that I bought the '11 last week.  No reason to waste money on the same bike, regardless of model date.  tp
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:18:49 AM by tomp »
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2015, 03:53:25 AM »

Just put a 55 series rear tire on and the speedo issue is fixed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2015, 05:17:35 AM »
Based on what I've seen on my bike and comparing to my GPS, the speedo was a little less than 4.5% off before I put the 55 on.  Going back to stock size as I couldn't tell the difference in the handling.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2015, 05:42:33 AM »
Just put a 55 series rear tire on and the speedo issue is fixed.

If you can deal with the bike being taller... which some of us can't.... not even a little bit.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
If you can deal with the bike being taller... which some of us can't.... not even a little bit.

Perhaps these are necessary if the 55 series tire is desired.  Elton just looooved them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »
Perhaps these are necessary if the 55 series tire is desired.  Elton just looooved them.

Probably a bit taller than I would need

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2015, 04:43:52 AM »
Well, they are silver.   :rotflmao:   But I do agree they are a bit much..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »
Should be able to downshift anyway.

Offline tomp

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »

Is that downshift or downlow shift?  tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »

Ya- upshifting would be an interesting challenge.

Offline tomp

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
Ya- upshifting would be an interesting challenge.
Just getting your foot on or off the peg could make a winning youtube video.  tp

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »
Don't need pegs or brakes. Just Kevlar soles. Yabba dabba doo...
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2015, 06:04:12 AM »

I know you all jest, but I saw Sue, one of Kawasaki's marketing team mebers, wearing platform shoes to ride the taller bikes.  No cutout between the heel and sole though.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:24 PM »
I know you all jest, but I saw Sue, one of Kawasaki's marketing team mebers, wearing platform shoes to ride the taller bikes.  No cutout between the heel and sole though.

They are basing this partially on my boots, which are elevated.  I had a cobbler add sole thickness to mine, but unfortunately the heel didn't end up any taller (I think there was some language issues).  Even so, it still helped tremendously.  I did discover that if the toe were much thicker, I would not be able to use the shifter.

Offline tomp

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
They are basing this partially on my boots, which are elevated.  I had a cobbler add sole thickness to mine, but unfortunately the heel didn't end up any taller (I think there was some language issues).  Even so, it still helped tremendously.  I did discover that if the toe were much thicker, I would not be able to use the shifter.
Does that make walking in them more difficult, as they look like they would push you back on your heels? 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2015, 06:22:18 PM »
Does that make walking in them more difficult, as they look like they would push you back on your heels?

Not that I can tell.  It is about the same.  The only part that seems to hurt walking is that they weigh more.  Those types of boots are already heavy, making them heavier wasn't a great thing, but everything in life is a compromise.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2015, 10:34:15 PM »
This thread's been compromised.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2015, 04:13:14 AM »
Well, not in a bad sort of way.  The main info of any thread here is usually in the first page or so.  The rest rambles on...