Author Topic: New or Used??  (Read 5147 times)

Offline kzz1king

New or Used??
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
I have been saving for a 14 for some time now. I am undecided between a new carry over. I am working on getting the local dealer down to 11,000 0n a 13. Not there yet. I currently put on 5 to 6,000 miles a year. Turn 60 soon so unless habits change I don't need a machne to last forever. Warranty appeals to me. I am fairly handy. Have rebuilt engines ,carbs, adjust valves and all that good stuff. Never had to work on ABS or fuel injection stuff.  Used ones seldom come up in my area and I am not willing to by a bike unseen. If I buy new I will need to be happy with the bike as is for a while as $$$ will be limited for farkles and I really like cruise control.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: New or Used??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
If you can find used with all the farkles you were going to add already installed, that is the way to go.  Especially if it already has the extended warranty.

New if you want to put all the miles on yourself, want to know how it was broke in, and have to have that new color offering.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
Where about are you located?  $11K seems pricey for a 2013 model.  For the extra money you can travel quite a way and still come out ahead.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »
... I don't need a machne to last forever. Warranty appeals to me. ...

Those sentences seem weird together :)

Anyway ... Dunno where you are but I haven't found cheaper prices than Sport Cycles of Rockingham (NC). $10,998 out the door: www.ebay.com/itm/131612437197

elp_jc

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
You should know by now if you're the used or new type of guy ;). I'm kind of a perfectionist but only with my toy cars and bikes. And said 'kind' because I use my vehicles every chance I get, knowing they'll get chipped, etc. with use. And I'm okay with that, but obviously take precautions to minimize that, like never travel on interstates if I can avoid them (plus secondary highways are usually much more fun anyway), touch-up or replace any damaged part/panel, etc. So far, I've sold my bikes in basically better than new condition, with no chips or defects of any kind (if only my cars had that luck. Ha ha. They usually start getting chipped right away). That alone means no used vehicles for me because nobody takes care of them like I do, and it'd probably cost more to bring a year-old (yep, barely used for me, if at all. No way the really used kind of guy) unmodified used vehicle to like-new condition than buying it new to begin with. Plus warranty is another factor; want a full warranty, and taking care of my vehicles the best possible way. And with no surprises like split wiring (for farkles), phantom problems, hidden accidents, and that kind of nasty surprises always possible on a used vehicle, especially when buying from a dealer. If I was going to buy used again, I'd still only do it from ORIGINAL owners, since almost nobody would knowingly sell you a bad vehicle when you know where they live ;D. But I still got surprises when scrutinizing the vehicles at home. And still within warranty, in case of any issues not found yet. I bought ONE used car and one used bike in my life, and never again... but that's just me. If you're not the anal type, a used and well maintained machine is obviously the better choice. Good luck man.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »
Those sentences seem weird together :)

They do, don't they! I am located in eastern North Dakota. I have always had used bikes. I have owned my Z-1 since 1976 and I bought it used. I would be happy with a used bike that had a couple years warranty left.

$11,000 to have for a new 2013? I could ride it home rather than pay to ship so that is worth something to me.

Thanks for the input. I don't part with my money easily ::)
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jwh20

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
While not mine, this one is near me.  It's been listed for a month and the price has been going down steadily:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5187904384.html

My opinion is that a serious offer of mid-to-high $8K would take it.  Fly to Indianapolis, ride it home.  This is a 2014 that is virtually new. 

He can't have ridden it much more than just from the dealer to home.

I'd jump on this but I bought a 2012 in practically the same condition a few months ago.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Buying new has its virtues, but buying used and pristine, meaning ridden but not abused, has lots also, especially when the extended warranties this bike can have, are applied. I'd never buy a bike that had been custom diced on tho, like one that has all the badges removed, and has more money tied up in farkles nthan the cost of actual fuel run thru the bike... Just saying... Those folks are anal, and don't really care much more than showing how much those pockets held, Sunday morning bikers, with more miles on a cleaning rag than on the road. It's nice to know someone rode the bike, worked out all the kinks, and had them all repaired before passing it on, so you don't have surprise issues.
Either way, best of luck on your purchase, you know the 08-09 models are highly desirable, and in 20 more years, you can say you have the original...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »
Buy mine, it's cheap enough for you to farkle and I guarantee you'll never have to adjust a carb on it!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »
Nice bike and price. My color too! Fly and ride won't work for me this time of year unfortunately. By the time I can get time off snowballs could be flying. Thanks though.
Wayne

While not mine, this one is near me.  It's been listed for a month and the price has been going down steadily:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5187904384.html

My opinion is that a serious offer of mid-to-high $8K would take it.  Fly to Indianapolis, ride it home.  This is a 2014 that is virtually new. 

He can't have ridden it much more than just from the dealer to home.

I'd jump on this but I bought a 2012 in practically the same condition a few months ago.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
Nice price but ABS is on my must have list. Thanks.
Wayne

Buy mine, it's cheap enough for you to farkle and I guarantee you'll never have to adjust a carb on it!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 10:45:09 PM »
+1 on Sport Cycle in Rockingham
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline jwh20

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »
Nice bike and price. My color too! Fly and ride won't work for me this time of year unfortunately. By the time I can get time off snowballs could be flying. Thanks though.
Wayne

I suppose that is a valid concern.  Of course this is the time of year when that exact issue favors buyers in many parts of the country.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »
Right on about the time of year. I have been watching ebay, craigslist and so on for some time and the movement has increased greatly recently with a downward trend in price.
Wayne

I suppose that is a valid concern.  Of course this is the time of year when that exact issue favors buyers in many parts of the country.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »
I contacted Sport Cycles and was told Kawasaki will not let them ship bikes  :( I was not aware of this.
Wayne
Anyway ... Dunno where you are but I haven't found cheaper prices than Sport Cycles of Rockingham (NC). $10,998 out the door: www.ebay.com/itm/131612437197
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jwh20

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 05:15:17 AM »
I contacted Sport Cycles and was told Kawasaki will not let them ship bikes  :( I was not aware of this.
Wayne

This is true for just about any make.  An authorized dealer is required to deliver in person.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
Shows you how often I buy new.
Wayne

This is true for just about any make.  An authorized dealer is required to deliver in person.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
Wayne

About 1,500 miles away from you, depending on where you are in ND. It's about a 7-hr, 450-mi one-way drive for me, so was easy for me to justify.