Author Topic: 2010 Vs 2014?  (Read 5585 times)

Offline MCP

2010 Vs 2014?
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
Hello All,

I am ready to purchase a used Connie, and my first Kawasaki. I see lots to choose from, and I want a bike under 10,000 miles, preferably under 7,000. There looks to be about $1000 - $1400 difference between similar low mileage 2010's and 2013's; that surprises me.

My question is, how much difference am I going to notice between a 2010 & a 2013 if they have similar mileage. Is it worth buying the 2013 vs the 2010.  I was considering holding out for a low priced 2010 and spending any savings on goodies.

Thanks for any input

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2010 Vs 2014?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »
My question is, how much difference am I going to notice between a 2010 & a 2013 if they have similar mileage. Is it worth buying the 2013 vs the 2010.  I was considering holding out for a low priced 2010 and spending any savings on goodies.

Essentially zero difference (if the 2010 has ABS).  Same bike, same gen.  Assuming same mileage, what will matter most is condition and how it was maintained (and what color you want).  The biggest other factor is that a 2013 might still be under warranty and you can extend that warranty for super cheap http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0  while anything older it won't be possible (unless someone already extended the warranty).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:00:46 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
So can I safely assume you would not be interested in my '08 with 100,000 miles on it?

The only two differences that I know of are 1) the '10 may or may not have ABS (it was an option until 2011 models, when it became standard). The '13 absolutely has ABS brakes. Also, the '13 has the new style front brake discs which <seem> to have fewer instances of warping than the earlier ones but that is just my take based on reports, no hard data (Boys!).

As a '10 will be somewhat less expensive, it will devalue at a slower rate and cost you less over the next few years most likely. But not all that much different.

Brian

Hello All,

I am ready to purchase a used Connie, and my first Kawasaki. I see lots to choose from, and I want a bike under 10,000 miles, preferably under 7,000. There looks to be about $1000 - $1400 difference between similar low mileage 2010's and 2013's; that surprises me.

Thanks for any input
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
Not sure if the 2013 has the linked brakes or not but if it does I would recommend the 2010.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »
Not sure if the 2013 has the linked brakes or not but if it does I would recommend the 2010.

All 2nd gen have linked brakes if they have ABS.  And every 2011 and above has ABS standard.  Thus, the 2010 is the only 2nd gen C14 that could optionally not have ABS.  Why they waited one extra year into gen 2 before making it standard it is mystery.

Good catch by Brian (and reworded my first sentence accordingly)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »
Biggest difference between 2010/2011 models and 2012-2014 models?
Wheel color and paint color choices.

Through 2011, wheels are silver. Starting 2012, black.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline MCP

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

B.D.F.; I'll pass on your 08, but thanks for the offer. :) Nice to see high miles.

I'm Canadian so I'm buying a U.S. bike and importing. I see extended warranty's on a lot of bikes. Anyone know if they are transferable to a new title in Canada? Or where to ask for confirmation.

Could be each warranty is different?

I think I'll buy a 2012 - black - with low miles.

Thanks again

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »
Not sure if the warranty or extended warranty is transferable.  I'm thinking not.  You can always call Kawasaki US and ask them. They might know.  Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5

I found this thread...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7566.msg90643#msg90643
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
How about if I throw in a very low mileage elk hoof?

I do not know anything about the warranty situation in Canada but I would advise you to get a good understanding of that before you buy anything. Several folks have, for example, purchased US bikes, brought them to Canada and had Kawasaki cancel the warranty altogether. Big, nasty surprise as the way they found this out was getting the official letter cancelling the warranty- no warning whatsoever.

In the US, the bikes come with a 3 year warranty. The original warranty is extendable for up  to three more years per cycle, for a max. of two cycles (max. warranty is 9 years but is someone bought the first extension for one year, I think those potential two additional years are lost forever). The catch is that the warranty can only be purchased while the bike is still under the last warranty; if it lapses, an extended warranty cannot be purchased for that bike by anyone. As far as transferring the warranty, apparently Kawasaki views it such that it is the bike that is warrantied, not any particular owner. So the warranty transfers to any new owner of the bike automatically. Again, I do not know if any, or how much of this info. pertains to C-14's purchased or brought into Canada. ??

Brian

Thanks for all the input.

B.D.F.; I'll pass on your 08, but thanks for the offer. :) Nice to see high miles.

I'm Canadian so I'm buying a U.S. bike and importing. I see extended warranty's on a lot of bikes. Anyone know if they are transferable to a new title in Canada? Or where to ask for confirmation.

Could be each warranty is different?

I think I'll buy a 2012 - black - with low miles.

Thanks again
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
Not sure if the warranty or extended warranty is transferable [from the USA to Canada].  I'm thinking not.

Just clarifying if someone reads this thread and takes it out of context later.  The warranty is transferable from one owner to another in the same country.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
MCP,

Why are you just comparing the 2010 to the 2013?  The 2011-2014 models are virtually identical except for the colors.  So you should certainly be considering any 2010 ABS and then any 2011+ C14 unless you have a specific preference for color.  In spite of many claims that one color is faster than another they actually are all crazy fast.   ;)

My experience is that many folks are ASKING a lot for their low-miles C14s but it's a buyer's market.  I know that doesn't bode well with those trying to sell but the market is what it is whether you like it or not.

Good luck finding what you're looking for.  The C14 is a great ride!

Offline MCP

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 06:36:12 PM »
B.D.F. - my garage is full of elk hoofs, don't need another. Good insurance info - thanks.

Virginiajim - thanks for the insurance input, I'll follow that up.

jwh20 - To be frank, I'm prepared to buy any year if the mileage, maintenance and up-keep is good. A lot of farkles would sway me too. Black is mandatory, and I'm not keen on the metallic black; I think that's what its called. I thought they were 2013 year and newer, but I could be wrong.

Unless I got an awesome deal on a 2010, I think I'd rule that year out, only because its already 5 years old, I suppose its a psychological barrier.

Leaning toward 2012 - then 2011, but like I say I'm open if its right.

Thanks everyone for the comments, very helpful

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »
Thanks, Max.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline chap

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »
I am also Canadian. I brought my 2010 in the states when it was 1 year old. The warranty is not valid in Canada as Kawasaki USA is not affiliated with Kawasaki Canada. You could return to the states if something major fails. Kawasaki USA did however cover a recall that was done on the bike in Canada.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the warranty, the cheaper purchase price makes up for that.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline MCP

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
I wanted to close this out by letting you know I purchased a 2012 Concours today, 3000 miles, and some extras, risers, Mayers seat, bags liners, a few other items; $8500 USD all in.

Seemed reasonable. Has only 1 Fob so when I get it home I'll start the process of buying another. They told me 2012's only come with 1 Fob.

Really going to the dark side because I'm coming from a BMW GS1150, that was my 4th BMW in a row, this my first Kawasaki, plus I purchased a used Roadman camping trailer for this bike a couple weeks ago. Thats why the change in bikes.

I would have never imagined I'd tow a trailer with a bike, but we just can't do traditional camping anymore, so were going to try a camper. I'll post some pictures when I get it all put together. If anyone else has crossed to the other side, I'd be happy to hear your towing do's and don't.

Thanks all for the input.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »
Really going to the dark side because I'm coming from a BMW GS1150, that was my 4th BMW in a row, this my first Kawasaki, plus I purchased a used Roadman camping trailer for this bike a couple weeks ago. Thats why the change in bikes.

I would have never imagined I'd tow a trailer with a bike, but we just can't do traditional camping anymore, so were going to try a camper. I'll post some pictures when I get it all put together. If anyone else has crossed to the other side, I'd be happy to hear your towing do's and don't.

Thanks all for the input.

You've got it all wrong.  You've just left the dark for the light..

There's been a few here that have dealt with trailers.  Hopefully they'll chime in.