Author Topic: Some websites shut down my Internet Explorer  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Some websites shut down my Internet Explorer
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:32:47 PM »
Starting last night, I haven't been able to access some wbesites because clicking on their URL causes my Internet Explorer to shut down.  At first it was www.zggtr.org and www.stromtrooper.com, but now it is also www.cog-online.org.

I am having to come here now using Firefox, which is OK, but I'd like to know why these sites aren't working, but other sites are OK.  So, two questions:  1) Anybody else having this problem? and b) What can I do to fix it?
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Some websites shut down my Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:34:30 AM »
No problem with chrome. I just signed in to both sites with IE 11 no problem.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »
What version of IE are you running?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
Version: 11.0.9600.17959
Update versions: 11.0.22 (KB3078071)

According to the info I get when I go to the HELP About Internet Explorer (I don't know squat about 'puters, except that I am hating them more and more the older I get.)

I have done ful system sweeps with my Norton security and Webroot Spysweeper, and they found nothing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
Are you getting any messages when it shuts down?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »
Jim:

I just get a dialogue box that says "Internet Explorer has shut down", than it changes and says "Attempting to troubleshoot problem", then it says "Internet Explorer has shut down", then the Google window closes and it goes to my desktop screen.

I just ran another full system scan with Norton, no changes.  Still have to use Firefox to get here.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 09:35:19 AM »
You might try this...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20043971/how-to-downgrade-from-internet-explorer-11-to-internet-explorer-10

And see if you get the same issue with 10.  If not, uninstall 10 and then reinstall 11 from the MS website.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
People still use Internet Explorer?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:16:11 PM »
People still use Internet Explorer?

Well....not any more.  Or at least for awhile until I get things figured out.  I appreciate all the responses, some are over my head as I know about squat for computers.  The issue has gotten worse, now I can't get onto some of the major news sites, etc.  I have Firefox and I've been using it, although I don't really like it.  I just stuck with IE because I'm used to it, etc.  I'm on Firefox right now and will just stay with it, I guess

Thanks all.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 05:42:47 AM »
I have Firefox and I've been using it, although I don't really like it.  I just stuck with IE because I'm used to it, etc.  I'm on Firefox right now and will just stay with it, I guess

Firefox is extremely customizable with a zillion add-ons.  It is open source, multiplatform, volunteer run, fast, and updated frequently.  There shouldn't be anything to not like.

For example, if you want it to look more like a traditional browser, load this addon:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=search

I also recommend:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/?src=search
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nuke-anything-enhanced/?src=search
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc