Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113368 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
Found a crack in the front wheel... :'(

What ??? how did that happen?  Just out of the blue? CRocker?
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline sas mayhem

09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »
What ??? how did that happen?  Just out of the blue? CRocker?

No...I was cleaning my bike today...getting ready for the ride to Miller for WSB this weekend...and I noticed a flat spot on the LH side (sitting on the bike)...funny, I thought...I hadn't seen that before...no impact marks on the new tire...must have been there when I got the bike (5k miles ago!)...but, I got to looking at the other side of the wheel, and noticed what looks like hairline cracks opposite the flat spot...they are near where the polished area on the rim meets the rough-cast center section of the wheel...inside of the bead-seating area...hidden in an area where there is some corrosion...I just had a new tire and wheel bearings installed too...not blaming the tire guy for not catching it...I figure he saw the flat spot, but, as long as the tire seated, didn't think twice about it...

I had just taken a shake-down ride too...checking everything out...thinking "Man!  This Connie is nice!  She doesn't wobble when I take my hands off the (newly installed Storz) bars...she doesn't weave around in corners...she doesn't vibrate at all!  This bike is pretty well sorted out...I'm proud of the way she acts!"...go figure...

Thanks for the ebay link...I already got it taken care of...I just sold an '87 parts bike to a guy with a 2001 Connie...he mainly wanted the tank, engine, and bags...and it hadn't been picked-up from my garage yet...so, I emailed him and bought back the wheel he had no need for...seems as though something might be going my way in this whole scenario...

Thanks for asking...and ride safe!

Brad
'02 C-10

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
On Sunday, besides putting Murph's tip-over bars (front) back on, I 'tagged' my bike with a good-lookin' owner's plate from COG NW 'nice guy' Charlie Gary.  He offers these nameplates and puts some money back into COG's coffers while doing so.

Charlie's album:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/COG%20Nameplate/
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
On Sunday, besides putting Murph's tip-over bars (front) back on, I 'tagged' my bike with a good-lookin' owner's plate from COG NW 'nice guy' Charlie Gary.  He offers these nameplates and puts some money back into COG's coffers while doing so.

Charlie's album:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/COG%20Nameplate/

I have to get a set of those.  Is that his online cog name also?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
Kept it in the garage - don't like riding in golf ball sized hail.    >:(
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
Mounted my instrument panel.  Got my butt kicked by caliper bolts - fine thread allen head capscrews are made of unobtanium!
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline ManWorkinghere

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
I have to get a set of those.  Is that his online cog name also?

I reached Charlie via e-mail at designitmachineit@yahoo.com

Offline ManWorkinghere

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
Am I really the only person posting for a whole week in this thread?  hmmm.  Well, I have news...

• Saturday - Married the Passenger of my Life     :thumbs: :chugbeer: :D
  • Sunday - Went to MKE Brewers' game
  • Monday - Took new Wife for 150 mile ride through north Kettle Moraine unit of WI

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
Mounted a 14" x 17" black poly cutting board where the tiny stock tail rack was.   Now measuring and marking for the slots and holes needed so I can attach my old soft tailbag/toproll/cargo-net. 
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:54 AM »
Reassembled the bodywork.  Converted to race shift.  Updated my trunk with an aluminum case.  Ordered a "nice butte" sticker.  Found a stock spacer that works for the left side of my wheel.  Looked at the dangling calipers and sighed.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
Took off side luggage to prep for trip to mountains,  and finally cleaned my exhaust pipes.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
Removed the airbox and shampooed it clean after chucking the boots.  Threw away the crumbling air filter.  Repainted the thermostat housing, put in a new thermo, and replaced the o-rings.  Replaced the dash and clock lights with LEDs.  Painted the horns.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »
I took here on her daily 114 mile run.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2011, 02:16:55 AM »
Am I really the only person posting for a whole week in this thread?  hmmm.  Well, I have news...

• Saturday - Married the Passenger of my Life     :thumbs: :chugbeer: :D

Congratulations!! But I have to be honest.. I was very disappointed not receiving an invitation to your wedding... We all were..
Normally friends ask friends to share important milestones in their lives. But not you. Selfish bastard. Wait a minute..,
are you in Wisconsion?? Sorry, wrong guy...

COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline throb

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2011, 03:52:14 AM »
Installed KB fork brace from Murph a few days ago.  Ties the front end up nicely.  Seems much more responsive to steering input now.  A few more miles with it will be the tell tale.  Waiting for shift linkage from t-cro to come in mail.  I smell a weekend project!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2011, 04:19:21 AM »
That was either my first or second mod, Gene. The only other major improvement for the front end was the removal and burning of the stock Dunflop.
My next mod will be tackling the front suspension, ie; springs, emulators, shock oil..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline throb

« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2011, 04:49:05 AM »
Yup, waiting for the tires on there to wear down some more.  It has the Dunlop in front and I forget in back.  Going with Avons later this year or next spring.  Earlier this year I replaced the springs with Sonic 1.0's from Murph and a combo 10 and 15w fork oil.  Nose dives are greatly reduced.   :chugbeer:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2011, 05:29:28 AM »
It wasnt today today; rather over the weekend.  I streamlined the "Spirit"

Pay no attention the the plate numbers.  They are stolen just to throw the bad guys off :o
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »
Well, yesterday...rode home (580 miles) two-up from WSB at Miller Motorsports Park...my wife is a keeper!  And, Two Skies...thanks again for the tip on this ride up through the mountains!
'02 C-10