Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113426 times)

Offline Electroken

Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
All I intended to do today was change the instrument backlight bulbs. Somehow the DDM HID headlight kit and stick coils ended up in there too.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
Today....  I removed an old alarm system and fixed the hack-job on the wiring system

And I serviced the back end (swingarm bearings, drive shaft, lots of grease usage).  Don't think it'd been touched since rolling off the factory floor in 1998, 27,000 miles ago.  Kinda the feeling I'm getting about Everything on this bike.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
Drained, flushed and filled the rear brakes. Now the fronts, rears and clutch are done time to move on to the coolant and oil change. It's a little tough when you don't have a garage.  :(
"Always take the long way home."

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »
She got a oil change today.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
6000 MILE OIL CHANGE AND TIRE PRESSURE CHECK
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline croach1776

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2011, 01:17:45 AM »
Didnt ride her. Air pressure too low and didnt have time to correct. Plus its too hot for her - dont like hearing the fan come on at every stop light or sign.
Charles K Roach Jr
COG#9094/CDA#319/50K/IBA#42837
AMA#2704431
Ya Cant Lose What Ya Never Had - Fatty Roach

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2011, 06:30:24 AM »
Plus its too hot for her - dont like hearing the fan come on at every stop light or sign.
I  have a manual switch to turn on the fan so anytime I am in traffic , going slow through a small town or sitting at a stop light I have the fan running.
I really like it. I can keep the temp needle below  half way.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »
Painted all of the footpeg brackets black along with the rear wheel.  The front is already done.  Painted the diff black also.  Flushed the clutch fliud.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
Got it up to 9500rpms in 2nd and 3rd. That's a kick in the pants!  ;D
"Always take the long way home."

Offline BrianM

« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »
Got my carb parts from Murphs, so I finished rebuilding the carbs, installed them and a new K&N and....

took the bike out for the first ride (was non-op when I bought it last week).   ;D

Then I noticed that I'd forgotten to tighten a coolant hose clamp, so I cut the test ride short and went back to the shop to tighten that, sync the carbs and put the bike together. 

Offline red44

« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »
Ordered bar risers and fender extender from Murfs.  :)

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2011, 08:48:17 PM »
Rick Mayer seat, murphs grips and throttlemeister. 

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2011, 06:22:37 AM »
Re-assembled all the footpeg brackets that were painted (black).  Put painted disk back on black painted rear wheel.  Painted new/used speedo drive (at the axle) black.  Pulled the rear shock and all the linkage.  Drained shock.  Left big pile of greasy black crumbs on the floor to clean-up tonight.  Probably pull the front upper fairing frame off tonight.  Maybe put the replacement one on (thanks Zak!).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2011, 07:25:23 AM »
Today,... I thrashed her mercilessly down some twisties from Sevenoaks to Crawley via Edenbridge.
May do the same on the way home.

At the weekend I cleaned the brake calipers and took her for her annual inspection which she passed with zero faults.
Had to fit the original Scud-Launcher for that and GOD IT'S QUIET.
I couldn't hear the engine with my earplugs in.

Was a relief to refit the 2 Bros muffler.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline rhetoric

« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »
Nothing, but I'm really distraught about all my old connie forum post count being gone, so I thought I'd make at least one.  Here it is.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
I didn't get wet, but last night I did run quite a few miles on wet roads. so today, I yanked the cans and did a Neverdull polish job. I use my battery powered drill and a rubber pad that i use to hold down the Neverdull material.
 Talk about getting into the chrome, deep polish in, soft cloth rub off, beautiful. 10 yrs old, and they look brand new, no rust at all, and as shiny as they can get.
Considering the cans are the only chrome on the bike, making them look good is important.Everyone ride safe out there.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
Filled her with gas, fixin' to load her up today, taking off for Minnesauna tomorrow at O dark thirty.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Nothing, but I'm really distraught about all my old connie forum post count being gone, so I thought I'd make at least one.  Here it is.

And you 'upped' your count very well, my friend.  Spent it in the right place.

What I did today was to ride to work in the rain, worked on MacBooks, iPad2s, and printers, and now look forward (Not) to riding home in the rain.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=mkx&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline BrianM

« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
Took the bike out for the first real ride.  I'm clearly used to smaller bikes because on 55mph highways, I was cruising in 4th gear.  Bike peed oil all over my left foot (and the bike in general.  Stupid inside corner of the valve cover gasket is bubbling/spitting...  hoping it's just not seated, and not cracked/torn/pinced (I'll look tomorrow).

Also did 90% of the work on making a new shorty windscreen, will finish tomorrow.  It's "resting" on the bike after baking in a hope that it moulds itself a little.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »
It's tomorrow....    damnit:

Guess no riding this weekend unless a local dealer has one in stock, anyone wanna give me odds?   >:(

Finished up the shorty shield though (well, "finished" as in I'm not doing more to it until I get a few hundred miles of riding in with it):