Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113369 times)

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
Congrats!
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
Replaced the rear right side axle seal, spacer, washer and axle nut. Some scoring on washer and some uneven wear on the spacer that runs inside the seal. (Very small grease leak but I replaced it anyways as the scoring on the washer seemed to cause the rear axle nut torque valves to be all over the place)

You can see the scoring and uneven wear on the rear spacer.

Also installed a techmount universal plate and ram mount with a Garvin 255W (Old Car GPS).

Now need to go for a ride.

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »
Nice little writeup up the two things I want to tackle next, fuel gauge resistor and adding a power outlet.  Thanks, Manworkinghere.

You're welcome.  Glad to give back to someone after I have learned so much from others here.  Like other members say, 'Without pictures, your wonderful explanation is hard to follow.'  So I tried out www.blogger.com to post up pictures the best I could.

Please let us all know how you come out on your own projects!
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »
Ordered Galfer rotors and pads... hopefully I'll be installing them next weekend.  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »
Relocated the helmet lock to above the license plate for better excess ability.  Cost 3,88.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
Put 365 miles on her, I love my Connie.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline croach1776

« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2011, 09:30:11 PM »
Replaced the final drive oil. Old Oil had 12K miles on it and it was nearly black. Is this normal.
Charles K Roach Jr
COG#9094/CDA#319/50K/IBA#42837
AMA#2704431
Ya Cant Lose What Ya Never Had - Fatty Roach

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »
Rode it 92 miles so I could watch it turn 60000. Then I changed the oil.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
Replaced the rear right side axle seal, spacer, washer and axle nut. Some scoring on washer and some uneven wear on the spacer that runs inside the seal. (Very small grease leak but I replaced it anyways as the scoring on the washer seemed to cause the rear axle nut torque valves to be all over the place)

I do not have that washer  part (2nd one over from the left)  on my bike.
92049 is the seal (last on the right) which I have but where did you get the new washer from and in what order/position does it go?
Could you tell me the part number please from the link below?
Grease leak?  Are you putting grease in there somewhere?  The only grease I know of that would come out  there would be from a failed seal on the sealed bearing. Maybe you should replace the bearing(s).
http://tinyurl.com/6l3ye9j

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

I do not have that washer  part (2nd one over from the left)  on my bike.
92049 is the seal (last on the right) which I have but where did you get the new washer from and in what order/position does it go?
Could you tell me the part number please from the link below?
Grease leak?  Are you putting grease in there somewhere?  The only grease I know of that would come out  there would be from a failed seal on the sealed bearing. Maybe you should replace the bearing(s).
http://tinyurl.com/6l3ye9j

Mike

Mike

2008 C14. I bought the bike used and there was dirt and grease on the spacer / oil seal interface. After I first took it apart to clean and inspect I noticed the rear axle washer was scored and the spacer was worn uneven and had corrosion on it (see photo). (note: previous owner lived near the Pacific Ocean). Bearing looks okay, spins smooth but tight, but I may replace them in the future.

92210 Nut
92200 Washer
92152 Spacer
92049 Seal

See Parts Manual (Page 125)

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
haha!  That explains it.
I assumed it was a C10.  I thought this thread was for C10 only.
Thanks for clearing that up.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
Installed a ZZR shock I got from Steve Roby. Thanks Steve, brakes are next. 

Jack

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
On Saturday, 7/16, I rode over to a COG Wrench session at Larry's house.  Larry is a generous host!  He helped bleed my front and rear brakes, adjust clutch fluid level, and change the rear gear oil.  We also stripped out obsolete wires from the previous owner's CD/CB player I removed earlier.

I was able to help Cary perform the Fuel Gauge resistor project on his 2005 C-10.  I brought my extra resistors along to share.  He was the only other C-10 present.

I took a few pictures of the work but not enough of the friendly attendees: Steve and Donna with son, Ian; Bob, Cary, and Larry, our host (with Sue).

https://picasaweb.google.com/manworkinghere/WrenchingSession71611?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMbI-8KUt-vv9QE&feat=directlink
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Dan

« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2011, 09:43:07 PM »
Rode the palloway mtnz... in sd Ca..
 :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »
What I did for mine was I parked it in a no parking zone after entering FL from a 7006 mile ride =)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »
Installed mf knock off levers, and they look and feel great.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »
Added front tip-over bars with highway pegs and KB handlebar risers from Murphs today.  Also have the fender extender to install later on this evening.  The tip-over bars are probably the most aggravating thing that I have installed on the bike to date.  I dread having to take those things off when it comes time to remove the plastics next time!  Maybe there is an easier way but I just don't have much clearance to bolt/unbolt the bars from the brackets.  I'm not sure if I'll be happy with the looks of the bike with the tip-overs and the risers but I wanted the highway pegs just to be able to stretch out and the risers to take a little strain off of my back and neck.  I figured the tip-over bars will come in handy next time I decide to drop it anyway....lol.

Now, If I can only talk myself into that 7th gear mod.  This latest order from Murph would have almost covered the 7th gear!   :(
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline syntor

« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »
Get a 5/8 ring and open ender and bend the ends. Makes taking on and off Murphs tip over bars heaps easier.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »
Get a 5/8 ring and open ender and bend the ends. Makes taking on and off Murphs tip over bars heaps easier.

Thanks Syntor.....great idea!  I think I've got a cheap one that I bend.

Marlan
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks