Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113283 times)

Offline txfatboy

Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
Update....... a few days ago I pulled her out of the garage, pulled the lower panels off to check for leaks/loose bolts/ etc. and then gave her a much needed bath and shine. Then for the next three days I road her to the NASCAR track in Fort Worth and back (little over an hour one way). Love the hywy pegs and cruise control.
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
Well I didn't do it today, but finally got the pictures downloaded. 

Homemade heat shields and Snarf's highway pegs.

...and a good time was had by all.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
Actually - yesterday.  Put on 230 miles - Tulsa to OKc in the cool of the morning and back to Tulsa in the evening.  Managed to miss almost all of the rain on the return trip.  10 minutes after pulling into the garage all hell broke loose - couldn't see the house across the street thru the rain.  Now have definite list of next mods: 1) Snarf's Highway pegs  2) Murphs "Knee Saver's"  3) Bar risers.   My knees need a little more space to be comfortable with more miles between stops.  Also noticed that when I relaxed at cruising speed my elbows were almost resting on my legs.  Bars up a little and pegs down a little and I'll be good for a lot more miles.

On the return trip I pushed a ways past the posted 75mph speed limit to stay ahead of the storm.  Some stretches of a few miles in a row at 95 (where "both" lanes were clear) only less than 85 when traffic required it.  My old cruiser did NOT inspire confidence at 85+ - the "tombstone" fork mounted windscreen induced unwanted steering input...   None of that with the Connie!  Did notice that where the asphalt was older there was occasionally a little light wobble when running in the part of the road compressed by years of traffic - sort of like my old bike had on grooved concrete. 
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
I figured out how to adjust the clock (damn daylite savings time)...I finally got tired of remembering that it was really an hour later than the clock
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
Changed the oil and filter, replaced the stock (air) filter with a K&N, went for a ride to test it out. Good!
2014 C-14 Red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
I put a less used(by about 100k miles) rear Kaw shock on, yesterday. Also, a 110/80 PR3 came from Dennis Kirk, what a nice guy.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
I installed a CeeBaily Euro Tour screen. I have to say that I am quite impressed. The screen is not that much bigger but the difference is huge. Far less wind coming in and what is getting around the screen is much calmer and smoother.

My wife said that with the stock screen it felt like her helmet was being sucked off her head -- there was that much of a low pressure area in the back. She says it is totally different with the CB. We were riding that other day and it was a bit warm and I left the screen down. When we stopped and I mentioned how nice it was to be able to keep the screen down on hot days, she was not even aware that it was all the way down.

Great product.

voileauciel

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »
Hey tonedeaf: per chance do you have a link to where you purchased this screen? I was thinking of swapping shields, and this sounds interesting.

Didn't really do much for the Lady today, except what she wanted me to do...took her to the office, and on the way there, opened her up a little more than usual.

Man that felt good.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2011, 06:13:03 AM »
Got Murph's "Kneesavers" installed and took a quick spin.  Knees and hips now happy!
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
I installed a CeeBaily Euro Tour screen. I have to say that I am quite impressed. The screen is not that much bigger but the difference is huge. Far less wind coming in and what is getting around the screen is much calmer and smoother.

My wife said that with the stock screen it felt like her helmet was being sucked off her head -- there was that much of a low pressure area in the back. She says it is totally different with the CB. We were riding that other day and it was a bit warm and I left the screen down. When we stopped and I mentioned how nice it was to be able to keep the screen down on hot days, she was not even aware that it was all the way down.

Great product.
Cee Baily seems to have this shield thing nailed down. Put one on my C-10, it works much gooder than the Clearview and crazy gooder than the stock. Nice to see folks build a d*mn fine product. Enjoy yours.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

voileauciel

« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
Went out to Lowe's today and got some grade 8 stainless screws and aluminium nuts to finally tighten up my continuously rattling front fender. Never going to put rivets in there again!

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
Reinstalled the Rear Wheel with my new PR2 tire. Cleaned my CB Ultra Tour Windscreen and allowed the Connie to chase ground squirrels in the parking lot.  ;D

Daisy hates Squirrels and Connie gave her back up ...

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
Drained, flushed and refilled the clutch cylinder. The fluid that came out was a nasty color, and at only 19000 miles. The difference in shifting was very noticeable.

I know that to most of you guys, this is a very simple procedure, but to a novice like me, it's a little intimidating. All the while thinking, 'will it ever run again? Am I going to have a catastrophic failure on the way to work? Will I DIE! 

Every thing worked out well, time to tackle the brakes next.  :o
"Always take the long way home."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
I mounted up a PR3 110x80zr18 today. Had other stuff to do, so could not test it out. Should be a different feeling up front, coming off of the Wang size Pilot GT.

Oh, and fresh oil also. I have a 4k mi trip coming up in a coupla weeks.
America's Seaplane City

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »
Flushed x 3 and changed my 2008 Connie's radiator coolant with Honda pre mix coolant.

(I believe it the first coolant change for her as .. a lot of small white debris came out)

Found loose exhaust header nuts.  >:(   one was finger tight - 2 more were just loose - the other 5 were tight)

Enjoyed learning how to pull the plastic off to get to the radiator / recovery tank.  :'(

Thankful for 1/4" drive and T handle.

Very thankful I reviewed Fred's DVDs before doing the deed ....

Took me almost 3 hours in the hot sun ... man I hate laying - working - siting on concrete  (a lift would have been nice)
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Bought and installed hwy pegs and ordered new throttle cable.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Johnj

« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
Relocated the overfill bottle, with one from a ZX1100, to behind the right side cover.
Practicing the dark art of turn-signal usage since 1976

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »
Changed oil, filter and rear brake pads.
Also, broke the left rear foot peg bracket changing out foot pegs.  :(

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
Mounted Angel ST's... oil filter guard... moved HID's... all in preparation for Spearfish, SD trip... leaving Wed.  :hail:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
Finished the install of the ZZR shock, Drilled two more hole in my  Race Tech emmulators for better handling and chopped my windscreen.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....