Author Topic: clutch basket bad, warranty denied  (Read 33790 times)

Offline JS_racer

Re: clutch basket bad, warranty denied
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
well, the bike is home, picked up yesterday , finally, with a new windshield motor assembly and clutch basket.
had the slave cylinder seal replaced for pm at the same time, that was out of pocket, and labor on the basket was 1.4hrs. total bill was like $160 so not bad at all

no miles, started it and loaded it on the trailer for the trip home, will know more in the next few days.
i was pleased to see the tabs on the plastic were all where they should be, most times they are not installed correctly. nice to see the attention to detail.
sure hope its all good.

I should take a picture of my " should go 15k miles pr4 gt" that were on the bike for 10 days, lol they are tore up for sure.  ;D  edge to edge close to the bars.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
well, the bike is home, picked up yesterday...

Ah ha... so back ordered parts do eventually show up.

I sure hope mine were on the same boat as yours were.

Let us know how it tests out.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:51 AM »
About time for some good news Joel. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
About time for some good news Joel.

For sure,  now if the days of rain will go away.  Lol.  Figures

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hg8c6QcExrLTFjc1M3TGZjWjg/view?usp=docslist_api

That link might work for an audio file,  let me know if it doesn't.

After 6 weeks or so,  been since the first week of July,  the bike is exactly like it was,  same sounds,  ugly,  clanging. 
This blows after being told it was fixed and quiet and perfect.

Offline JS_racer

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
Your first link works.
Man, that really sucks Dude.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »
After 6 weeks or so,  been since the first week of July,  the bike is exactly like it was,  same sounds,  ugly,  clanging. 
This blows after being told it was fixed and quiet and perfect.

Hmmm..... maybe they misdiagnosed it and you do have the same problem as I do. (broken 4th gear)

I couldn't tell from your audio file what was going on, or even if I was hearing a noise or just audio distortion.

If I am hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing then it does sound higher pitched or a tinnyer than mine, either clutch basket or cam chain type sound. Tell you what, put the oem muffler back on and let me hear it again.  :o  :rotflmao:  I had a tinny sound coming out of my DR650 that had me concerned when I first got it, but I could only hear it when I was riding it down the road. It didn't make the noise when stopped. Turned out to be the license plate vibrating on the cross over bar for the panniers. Bent the plate up and no more problem noises. I wish it was that simple for you and I now.

I'm sorry to hear this (<--see what I did there) Joel, it does suck. I hope yours turns out better than mine (simpler).
My situation has really got me depressed. Once mine is fixed I'll probably get rid of it as I'll never trust it again more than a state away from home.
Trouble is, no matter what bike I consider as a replacement, there is something I don't like about it. It might be different if there was a new special heavy duty gear set that they were putting in my bike, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be the same parts that proved to be inadequate in the first place. That doesn't inspire me to take off on a long trip. Just the thought of removing all my farkles to trade it in is depressing.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
I hear ya Marty,   no distortion,  engine Rev is smooth,  this was taken above the oil fill location.  Anything not smooth sounding is ugly noises and not suppose to be there. Not distortion,  hope that makes sense.

Seriously questions about should keep mine too. I have spent tons and tons in maintaining and going way above the average guys maintenance.  To only get told my bike is worn out?  Guess there is a limited milage warranty,  no clue what it is,  but is this noise a fight too?
My bike flies,  handles like a dream,  and feels as good as day one thanks to all the effort and attention to detail from my independent mechanic.  Sure would suck to start over

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
a link for reference http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19841.msg245493#msg245493

OK I brought my C14 home today, without the plastic installed as I wanted to do some things while it's all off.

My fourth gear was replaced under warranty. One tooth came off and every time it came around there was that "Knock"
that I heard. So far I can only say that it sounds much better. I have only ridden it from the end of the trailer and then into my garage
so I won't have a complete report for awhile.

While I was at the dealer I took a cell phone photo of the broken gear before the dealer sends it off to Kawasaki (?).
He gave me the tooth or cog if you prefer.

When I purchased this bike new (2010 Model) in March of 2011, the first ride home from the dealer was only 40 miles. Two blocks from my house I heard a loud POP followed by a click click click as I traveled the remaining blocks. I managed to put a 5/16 machine bolt (not a pointy lag screw but a flat ended machine bolt) right through the back tire. I've carried that bolt in my tool bag ever since (approx 43,000 miles) and have not had another bolt in tire incident since. I plan to do the same thing with the broken fourth gear tooth as obviously the mighty mad powuh of Kipass needs some mechanical voodoo assistance. Wish me luck!

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2015, 09:41:02 PM »
a link for reference http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19841.msg245493#msg245493

OK I brought my C14 home today, without the plastic installed as I wanted to do some things while it's all off.

My fourth gear was replaced under warranty. One tooth came off and every time it came around there was that "Knock"
that I heard. So far I can only say that it sounds much better. I have only ridden it from the end of the trailer and then into my garage

While I was at the dealer I took a cell phone photo of the broken gear before the dealer sends it off to Kawasaki (?).

When I purchased this bike new (2010 Model) in March of 2011, the first ride home from the dealer was only 40 miles. Two blocks from my house I heard a loud POP followed by a click click click as I traveled the remaining blocks. I managed to put a 5/16 machine bolt (not a pointy lag screw but a flat ended machine bolt) right through the back tire. I've carried that bolt in my tool bag ever since (approx 43,000 miles) and have not had another bolt in tire incident since. I plan to do the same thing with the broken fourth gear tooth as obviously the mighty mad powuh of Kipass needs some mechanical voodoo assistance. Wish me luck!

Man, that is one robust looking gear. Can't imagine what would cause that to fail.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »

wow... bad metalurgy....
I would have been asking why they didn't replace the mating gear also...as it was likely compromised, maybe invisibly, but no way to know...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2015, 05:32:01 AM »
wow... bad metalurgy....
I would have been asking why they didn't replace the mating gear also...as it was likely compromised, maybe invisibly, but no way to know...

I was thinking the same thing
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2015, 07:29:54 AM »
wow... bad metalurgy....

They did, I just didn't ask to take a photo of it, they replaced
  13262-0793    GEAR,INPUT 3RD&4TH,20T&22T with 13262-0793    GEAR,INPUT 3RD&4TH,20T&22T
as well as replaced 13262-0726    GEAR,OUTPUT 4TH,34T (prev photo) with 13262-0750    GEAR,OUTPUT 4TH,34T

...as well as a page long list of gaskets, O rings, seals, oil and filter etc.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »
Glad to see they got it sorted. Took 'em long enough.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2015, 10:28:06 AM »
Glad to see they got it sorted.
Thanks Jimmy!

Took 'em long enough.
The gear was on back order, and I wasn't pushy, I didn't do the squeaky wheel thingie. I knew (OK,hoped) it was going to be warranty work and and I realized that out of financial necessity it would be low on the service department's priority list. Despite the dealer bashing (stealership talk) the truth is we really need them to stay in business (OK, most of them anyway) and our hobby/predilection (what ever this is that we do) would be up the creek without them IMO. I really appreciate their interaction with Kawasaki on my behalf, and the weekly update calls  :thumbs: . Many on here talk tough and give advice about what they would do and give the impression that they would go in banging on the counter demanding their bike be fixed post haste. It wasn't their bike in the shop with the innards spread out all over, it was mine. I'm more of a carrot person than a stick person I guess. I don't complain about my hamburgers looking a little lopsided either, lest I get this. At least that's how I start off in the beginning. Regardless, I want my dealer to stay in business and be happy (as I honestly believe he wants me to be) as most of the dealers in the area are getting bought up by one corp. and if this keeps up there won't be much competition in the area.

I'll do more follow up in a few weeks.

Joel (JS_racer), you're up! What tell you got for us?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
They did, I just didn't ask to take a photo of it, they replaced
  13262-0793    GEAR,INPUT 3RD&4TH,20T&22T with 13262-0793    GEAR,INPUT 3RD&4TH,20T&22T
as well as replaced 13262-0726    GEAR,OUTPUT 4TH,34T (prev photo) with 13262-0750    GEAR,OUTPUT 4TH,34T

...as well as a page long list of gaskets, O rings, seals, oil and filter etc.

good
they were proactive at least.
glad to hear that, so mnay places just don't take that extra step..

nice you got it fixed,  best wishes, and Kudos to your service guys...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Glad to see they got it sorted. Took 'em long enough.

Probably didn't help that I bet they have ever seen that happen before on a C14 (because it is a rare bike with an even more rare failure).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »
Probably didn't help that I bet they have ever seen that happen before on a C14 (because it is a rare bike with an even more rare failure).
True dat. All my Kawasaki bikes have been bullet proof.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »

who knows? do you think everyone that owns a C14 comes here?

id wager to say less than 10% of C14 OWNERS, and even less than that of C10 owners, spanning 20 years of production, don't have a clue this site exists, or care to participate... because why? no problemo...
with that said, the owner experience, coupled with the database, and made publically accessable thru the "interweb", has folks surfacing... if you bought an '86 in '86, you may be old enough to say.. meh, internet? whazzat... or ""I don't do face book..."

times change kids, some don't even own a computer, just abfew years ago we wanted to go "online only" for Concourier, and we found it was not viable...