Author Topic: I'm Scared to lean now...  (Read 45625 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: I'm Scared to lean now...
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 07:19:58 PM »
LOL...yes, there are times when I do it but I try not to make a habit of it. My best friend rides for the Sheriff's Dept. out here and is they're top instructor and he makes us look ultra-conservative when we ride. You should see that guy split lanes...CRAZY! Anyway, there are times when I do it but ONLY when things are getting congested in my area and I'm starting to feel "boxed in"...then I'll split but I ALWAYS make sure the person in front of me sees me (usually they'll move left or right a bit, depending on which lane they're in).

I move to the front at lights when I can because I don't EVER want to be taken out from behind! I'll even move up until there's no more room to move and sit between cars while waiting for the light to change...had some pretty interesting conversations while waiting! I've "nicked" one mirror when creeping up to the front but the guy in the car was really cool!

I ride between 70 and 80 mph and try to stay around 80...I want to make sure I'm hitting the gaps in front of me and leaving what's behind me, behind me! If it means splitting at those speeds then I do it. I'm sure that's why I made my "new friend" yesterday ::)!

What's funny (or scary) about that is there are guys PASSING me while I'm at those speeds and doing between cars! So I'm guessing the guy that got pissed at me decided I was his target for the  day even though there were others doing it faster than me...maybe I need to ride faster ;)!
We have similar styles of riding, but I have one rule when on my bikes. No cages are allowed past me. I guess if you think you can come around in your cage, you can try, but I've never seen it done yet.
Unless it's a Policeman.
The grass isn't always greener.

elp_jc

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »
It is the one thing I believe is absolutely outside of my control or ability to influence- a deer strike.
Wrong. Don't ride when they're most active (around dawn and dusk), and you automatically reduce your chances of hitting one by over 90% ;). And same logic applies to reduce other risks: commuting (intersections/traffic), night, rain or bad weather, etc., dramatically increase probability of an accident. Remember riding is not dangerous; crashing is... especially if you hit something solid. If you must go somewhere under any of those conditions, the smart thing to do is drive instead.

OP, did you crash with the OEM tires? They're not bad, but not great either. I'm going to wear them out, but am more careful than it they were Michelin Pilot Roads, for instance. Since you can touch a peg, I assume you had some track training, and look where you want to go, etc. But in addition, you also need to scan the road carefully, especially on unfamiliar territory. I only push the envelope on familiar roads, but still leave room for safety (late appexing is a good technique, since you can see more of the curve). And only do it on tight to medium curves (60 mph max), where I lean hard, but speed is not great. I NEVER push the envelope on sweepers, since you need triple digits to lean the bike hard, and at that speed, you have much less of a chance to save the day. And much more likely to have a very bad injury (or worse) if you crash. My last and only spill was over 15 years ago, and on Bridgestones (stock) too. On a Hayabusa. Same thing: hit some sand I failed to detect early enough. Tires were crap, but it was my fault for not slowing down (trying to catch up my group) on an unfamiliar road. And for not scanning the road for debris. Fortunately, I could ride the bike home. And only scrapes and bruises. After that, learned to trust my tires with track school. And later learned that being able to push a bike to its limits dramatically increases your chances of not having an accident in the first place. And also the confidence of knowing you can deal with locked tires (before ABS), slides, etc. That was at Superbike School; very helpful. When you start sliding, you don't have time to think. Your reflexes are your only chance of saving the day. And you have milliseconds to do the right thing. A very common accident scenario is hitting sand at the edge of the road. But the reason for that is not being able to lean the bike more so you don't get there in the first place. So yes, not being able to lean your bike until you drag a peg makes you more likely to have an accident, even if you ride like a grandma. Sooner or later you'll need to do that, but won't be able to. Hope you can overcome your fear OP. If I couldn't ride fast and lean hard (I only ride on trips), wouldn't ride at all. Hope to be able to do that for a long time ;D. And yes, always do it as safely as possible, meaning weekdays, clear weather, good lonely roads, flat terrain with great visibility, full gear, new bike, etc. But it's still dangerous. On the other hand, cancer almost killed me (proving even living in a bubble could kill you ::)), so rather go out doing what I like... if that's my fate. He he. Good luck.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2015, 02:45:52 AM »
We have similar styles of riding, but I have one rule when on my bikes. No cages are allowed past me. I guess if you think you can come around in your cage, you can try, but I've never seen it done yet.
Unless it's a Policeman.

+1 Cars are not allowed past me, unless it looks like an imbecile on a mission. So I guess 98% of Germans are allowed. Seriously, gauging other drivers is the key, and there's no shame in letting someone pass, but never, NEVER let an idiot come close to you. If he's behind, increase distance. If he manages to get in front, turn at the first chance. It's never worth it trying to teach reason to somebody at the risk of not coming home that evening.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2015, 04:24:14 AM »
Seriously, gauging other drivers is the key, and there's no shame in letting someone pass, but never, NEVER let an idiot come close to you. If he's behind, increase distance. If he manages to get in front, turn at the first chance. It's never worth it trying to teach reason to somebody at the risk of not coming home that evening.

Very sound advice and exactly how I ride.  If I suspect someone is acting even slightly stupid or distracted, I will do everything I can to get far away and quickly- moving from the lane, accelerating away, dropping back, whatever necessary.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2015, 04:28:20 AM »
Don't ride when they're most active (around dawn and dusk), and you automatically reduce your chances of hitting one by over 90% ;).

Good point.  Every time I have had a near-deer experience, it has been at dusk or soon after.  Don't  know about dawn, since I don't "do" dawn :)  Anyway, I can't always easily avoid that few/several hour period (pre-dusk to post dusk).  I have seen activity outside that period, so I am not sure it is as high as 90%, but the concept seems valid.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2015, 04:53:48 AM »
I don't "do" dawn :)

I did. It wasn't bad. ::)

8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2015, 05:14:13 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2015, 05:18:50 AM »
I did. It wasn't bad. ::)

8)

:banana :banana :banana      Waking up at the crack of dawn.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »
I don't drive at night 90% of the time and when I do, I'm on high alert for forest rats.

When riding on the highway, I keep a nice pace to stay out in front of the traffic, and unless I know
the curvy stuff really well, I slow down the pace

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2015, 08:11:50 AM »
...I don't "do" dawn :)...

Used to do it from the other side all the time when I was younger...  (...up 'til dawn)   ;D

Not so much anymore... :-\

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2015, 02:29:36 PM »
:banana :banana :banana      Waking up at the crack of dawn.

OMG- Geeze, I completely didn't even make that connection (about my crazy early posting... which was still considerably after dawn, you should note).  I fell asleep in the living room chair AGAIN and woke up at 6 instead of the normal 7:30 in bed.  I decided to just stay awake.

Offline postrucks

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Wish it wasn't so but I've been down twice in the last 4 years, the latest just before Christmas 2014. I was making a right turn onto the on ramp of the freeway. Not even leaned over hard just moderate, which is what freaked me out-going down while riding moderately. I ride everyday and I'm still not over it, I think it just takes time. Heart rate goes up with lean angle! What I'm trying to do is learn something from the experience and keep positive. One good thing that has come out is I've been reading Keith Code's book " A Twist of the Wrist". In he explains that the throttle is the rider's most valuable suspension control and chopping the throttle in a turn is going to upset the suspension causing the bike to loose traction. That's what I did, chop the throttle as the bike started to slide. Staying on the throttle or letting off slowly may have not helped but I think it wouldn't have made it worse. It's a survival reaction that's hard to overcome. I don't claim to be a expert but I'm trying to learn from them and apply that learning.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
Just..... Cannot..... Resist.....

Well I think we are going to need a nuclear grade Easy Boys! on this one....

And I still want full credit for not asking if 2014 was an extra Merry Christmas.

Brian

Wish it wasn't so but I've been down twice in the last 4 years, the latest just before Christmas 2014. .....

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline postrucks

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:54 PM »
B.D.F.! I should known, the king of "easy boys" Rereading it does sound kind of....shall we say unfulfilling :o

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Ten years ago I laid my Honda 919 down in order to keep from being a hood ornament. Sweet young thing driving Daddy's Lexus was busy with her cell phone and pulled out in front of me at a light. Banged me up pretty good, but nothing broken. In retrospect, I wasn't focused on the intersection and her and I didn't play the "What if?" game at that time -- and I paid the price.

I've become much more conservative in my riding style since then (the stock rubber on my 2012 Connie certainly does not inspire confidence) and I'm okay with that, but I'm looking for a few curves here and there and an empty road to practice on.

I'm almost 60, so I don't bounce real well these days and I really don't want to even find myself where I might bounce off the pavement -- so I ride judiciously now.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »
Ten years ago I laid my Honda 919 down in order to keep from being a hood ornament. Sweet young thing driving Daddy's Lexus was busy with her cell phone and pulled out in front of me at a light. Banged me up pretty good, but nothing broken. In retrospect, I wasn't focused on the intersection and her and I didn't play the "What if?" game at that time -- and I paid the price.

I've become much more conservative in my riding style since then (the stock rubber on my 2012 Connie certainly does not inspire confidence) and I'm okay with that, but I'm looking for a few curves here and there and an empty road to practice on.

I'm almost 60, so I don't bounce real well these days and I really don't want to even find myself where I might bounce off the pavement -- so I ride judiciously now.

Just a suggestion...if you still have the oem tires, dump 'em.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
Just a suggestion...if you still have the oem tires, dump 'em.

I thought about it, but I think I'm going to just wear them out with the chicken strip in the middle. I have less than 500 miles on the bike. I live in the Mississippi Delta where a curved road is the precursor to a construction zone. Reeeeally boring riding here, which means heading to Arkansas for at least a few twisties.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »
I understand. When you do you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You'll know when it's time.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2015, 04:44:05 PM »
I thought about it, but I think I'm going to just wear them out with the chicken strip in the middle. I have less than 500 miles on the bike. I live in the Mississippi Delta where a curved road is the precursor to a construction zone. Reeeeally boring riding here, which means heading to Arkansas for at least a few twisties.

Eupher, I went 20 years between bikes so the chicken stripe on my stock tires was about an inch wide :-[ ... I couldn't get the confidence to push her over. Now, a year and half later, my stripes are about an 1/8" from the edge of the tire so I have definitely become more comfortable and confident in the bike. Point is, it does get better :thumbs: ... just takes time. My stock tires last 8,000 miles before I changed them.

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »

I know that feeling..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.