Author Topic: Stock exhaust mid pipe  (Read 3701 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Stock exhaust mid pipe
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »
So I like delkevic and realize that 14" oval is only $208.  But, I'm in the reuse re purpose frame of mind.

I've got this D and D sitting around, sounded great on the last bike it was on, thinking about mating it to the stock mid pipe (getting an adapter made) and one of those nice stainless heat shields to cover the mating. 

I assume the part I see on the mid pipe is a heat shield right?  Does it separate from the actual pipe with no welds?  What is the size of the actual pipe?

Even a pic might tell a lot.  Have NOT had this part - just thinking out loud.  Thanks for any info....

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Re: Stock exhaust mid pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »
I think this pic shows where I am going with this.   Will probably also use a small hanger like delkivic uses as well.   

I do have the ability to get the adapter (with two female ends) made.  However, none of this is worth it (for my abilities) if the stock mid pipe can't be used - or if it looks like absolute crap with no ability to be polished. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
I assume the part I see on the mid pipe is a heat shield right?

Not sure what you are looking at (since I can't see your face) but all except the 2008/2009 have a heat shields on the midpipe.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
I see.  So the mid pipe visible on my 08 is the actual pipe?  Wow, very fat!  I assumed the visible portion was an outer sleeve. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:36:54 AM »
I see.  So the mid pipe visible on my 08 is the actual pipe?  Wow, very fat!  I assumed the visible portion was an outer sleeve.

there is an outer polished/chrome plated pipe, and an inner smaller pipe... pull the muffler and measure the inner one.
iirc it's 2-1/2"

but dont hold me to it...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:26:52 AM »
I just went to the garage and pulled my stock '08 muffler/midpipe off the shelf.  Looking with a flashlight into the front of mid pipe,  it is 2.5" single wall pipe for the first 8.5 inches where it then steps down to approx. 1 3/4"-1 7/8" I.D. double wall pipe.  You can probably see where it changes color from the heat difference at that point on the outside.  It is also welded to the muffler.  Hope this helps.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:25 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I assume there are more stock pipes out there than need for them so no loss to humanity if I mangle mine up right?

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:21 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I assume there are more stock pipes out there than need for them so no loss to humanity if I mangle mine up right?

True,  but size and UNGODLY weight would make shipping $$$$.   Might want to find one close to home before chopping. 

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »
If I go a chopping it will be mine over the winter.  If it doesn't work,  a quick call to Delkevic and just go that route for 2 bills.