Author Topic: What happens if I remove my oil filter when the bike is still full of oil?  (Read 8320 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
  It's not a dry sump.
It is if you don't have enough oil in it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline nacademus

I should have answered my own question here instead of subjecting myself to this. I didn't intend on making "Another epic oil thread"-nor did I intend to incite bickering or snide remarks among other forum members. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

For anyone who has ever pondered the repercussions of replacing a filter while filled with oil, only about a half-cup of oil dribbled out after the filter was spun off on my vehicle. I replaced the stock filter with a Purolator PSL14610.

Thanks everyone that helped.

Here is the diagram I used to postulate my understandings prior to trying the removal.

Offline nacademus

"Oil coller" 

lol

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
It is if you don't have enough oil in it.

:battle: ;)

I detected no abnormal snideness nor bickering in this thread.  This is a normal set of replies as far as I'm concerned.  We make fun of each other and generally have a good time for the most part.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Yeah, it can be a rough crowd.  ;D   I do not think any of it was directed at you really, it is just that you said the magic words.... which are usually any words in English at all. Sometimes I think things were better back when the Internet was printed on newspaper and rebuttals were in the form of 'letters to the editor', which were printed days or weeks later and never, ever on the front page.

But on the bright side, you got a new filter on your bike, a bunch of people had fun (or at least what passes for fun I guess) and the Earth got a bunch more rotations behind it. And on a personal note, I think a few strategically placed 'Easy Boys!' would have gone a long way to making this a better thread (read: it would have made me chuckle).

Brian

I should have answered my own question here instead of subjecting myself to this. I didn't intend on making "Another epic oil thread"-nor did I intend to incite bickering or snide remarks among other forum members. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
I used to postulate

I still do, if the mood strikes. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
What happens if I remove my oil filter when the bike is still full of oil?

oil spill.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

sailor_chic

Working in the oil business, I have fears of those pics.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
:battle: ;)   
I shall consider myself duly publicly flogged. Even though Gibbs considers it a sign of weakness, I apologize...no rudeness was intended.  :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.