Author Topic: Question about traction control and if it would have helped in this scenario.  (Read 3235 times)

wcgreen

Been mulling over if I want to purchase a Gen1 or Gen2 when I buy in September.  Love the color and look of the 2008, but thinking back about my worst wreck on my Vulcan, and wondering if the Kawasaki traction control would have made a difference?  Not certain if I understand the scenarios that ABS saves your butt and those where traction control would save your butt.  Since it will be used as a commuter for 5 years, I am thinking I may need to wait for the extra funds for a Gen2.

Bout 11 years ago, I was in downtown Galveston when it started raining.  20 minute rain, then hot= very oily TX roads.  Oak tree hanging over the road obscuring the traffic light.  Hit the brake... fishtail... let off... try again.... back end starts around on me....cars already flying thru the intersections... grab my GF and kick the bike out.  Mangled up one side of the bike pretty badly, but driveable.  No broken bones just lots of road rash.  Tried to drive the bike back to the hotel... hit trolley car tracks running parallel down my lane... bike jerks, kicks back end around and off the ground and down on top of us.

Long story short... is this the sort of scenario where ABS, Traction Control, or both might have saved my butt?  If so, I need to focus on the Gen2.

Thanks!
B

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
ABS would have helped with the first one. Traction Control would have helped for the second one. Not sure if you still would have stayed up or not, but you would have had a better chance of staying up with them.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

wcgreen

ABS would have helped with the first one. Traction Control would have helped for the second one. Not sure if you still would have stayed up or not, but you would have had a better chance of staying up with them.

Thanks for that!  I know I at least want ABS, but not sure about the traction control.  I've done some reading on it, but still not totally clear where it is most beneficial.

Offline jwh20

Thanks for that!  I know I at least want ABS, but not sure about the traction control.  I've done some reading on it, but still not totally clear where it is most beneficial.

If I had to choose, I'd choose ABS vs. TC.  ABS will help stop you from hitting something hard.  TC will most often stop you from a low-side crash.  But both is better than either one.  The prices of the Gen2 bikes has really come down.  I know that there are lots of crazy asking prices out there but I just picked up a 6K mile 2012 for cheap.

Having owned both an 08 and a 12 now, it's amazing how similar they are.  The 08 seems to be a bit more powerful, but the ABS on the 12 is amazing.  I have a gravel driveway and I tried to lockup the brakes without any success.  I also tried to spin the rear wheel in the gravel, no way!

wcgreen

If I had to choose, I'd choose ABS vs. TC.  ABS will help stop you from hitting something hard.  TC will most often stop you from a low-side crash.  But both is better than either one.  The prices of the Gen2 bikes has really come down.  I know that there are lots of crazy asking prices out there but I just picked up a 6K mile 2012 for cheap.

Having owned both an 08 and a 12 now, it's amazing how similar they are.  The 08 seems to be a bit more powerful, but the ABS on the 12 is amazing.  I have a gravel driveway and I tried to lockup the brakes without any success.  I also tried to spin the rear wheel in the gravel, no way!

Thanks for that.  Yes, I am still seeing insanely high asking prices considering some of the deals around.  When folks are asking for 9k for a 2008 and you see 2012s going for $7800, something's off somewhere.  It sounds like, since I will be a bike-only rider for at least 3 years, I need to do whatever I can to get a Gen2... just sounds like a wiser investment.

Offline PH14

I would say that correct technique would help more. You obviously stomped on the back brake, causing the fishtail, then you let off, which invites a high side. Yes, ABS would have helped. For the other, knowing the road service and riding accordingly would have prevented it.

Both ABS and traction control are wonderful things, but I put more emphasis on proper riding technique more, even with ABS and traction control. 

If you can afford it, go with a Gen 2. I am happily riding my Gen 1, which I bought because I didn't want ABS and the associated linked brakes. They have thankfully improved them, but I didn't want the first year of it. That and I hate linked brakes on anything with the name "Sport" in it.

I don't say any of this to criticize, but to point out that even if you had ABS, stomping on the rear brake will not give you the braking you need, the front brake, along with the rear, properly applied,  will give you better braking. I truly believe ABS, while being a great thing, has caused the demise of braking skills, skills that will help you even with ABS.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
The 08 seems to be a bit more powerful

But it isn't...  (it might, however, weigh a bit less if it was a model without ABS)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I would say that correct technique would help more. You obviously stomped on the back brake, causing the fishtail, then you let off, which invites a high side. Yes, ABS would have helped.

Actually, in this case, the linked brakes would have helped just as much if not more.  My assessment was the same as yours- he stopped on only the rear brake or mostly the rear brake (either being a bad move).

Not that it is popular to point out how linked brakes CAN prevent some bad stuff, but with some people/situations it can...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

Actually, in this case, the linked brakes would have helped just as much if not more.  My assessment was the same as yours- he stopped on only the rear brake or mostly the rear brake (either being a bad move).

Not that it is popular to point out how linked brakes CAN prevent some bad stuff, but with some people/situations it can...

That is true, linked brakes would have helped. I had it on a Goldwing and it was fine, I just didn't want it on the C14, especially the first year of it.

Offline jwh20

Thanks for that.  Yes, I am still seeing insanely high asking prices considering some of the deals around.  When folks are asking for 9k for a 2008 and you see 2012s going for $7800, something's off somewhere.  It sounds like, since I will be a bike-only rider for at least 3 years, I need to do whatever I can to get a Gen2... just sounds like a wiser investment.

A seller can ask whatever they want but you won't see 08's, ABS or not, actually selling for $9K!

Offline RBX QB

...  I have a gravel driveway ...  I also tried to spin the rear wheel in the gravel, no way!

TC works great when you make a wrong turn and end up miles into a logging road, too...
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
TC works great when you make a wrong turn and end up miles into a logging road, too...

Not so well going up a steep hill on gravel & getting surprised when the power cuts out.  First time scared the crap out of me.  Subsequent times on that hill TC is turned off.  Don't get me wrong- I love TC.  Just not for slow speed, steep hill, loose surface all at once. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990