Author Topic: 2010 crotch oven fix  (Read 6466 times)

Offline GordonM

2010 crotch oven fix
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
Riding the 2010 on my commute during hot weather in traffic and at lights I find that the heat coming up from in between the tank and the front of the seat can be very unbearable for the crotch area.  The engine heat travels under the tank and exits up under the seat.  My fix which works real well is to add a 2" by 2" strip of memory foam behind the round rubber bumpers on the underside of the seat.  It seals the back of the gas tank edge and the inner shell of the seat and directs the heat back to exit out the gaps on the back of the seat.  Not real pretty, but I was getting desperate, will have to find some black foam and make it look better now that I know that it works.

Gordon

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: 2010 crotch oven fix
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
The 10's have a heat issue, I thought that was addressed for the 10 model??  ???

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »
I never noticed any seat heat issues with mine, but then I was only riding it in triple digit temps at speed in Montana, South Dakota, & Wyoming..  No stop and go traffic out there (except during Sturgis week, but I just drove around them).

Here in Oregon, no complaints if it warms the seat up.  Instead of using the juice from the electrical system for a electrically heated seat, there's more for lighting.  ;D
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
The 10's have a heat issue?  I thought that was addressed for the 10 model??  ???

I think have noticed some heat from the seat also, but I wasn't sure where it was coming from.  I only noticed it, however, when crawling or stopped, with the fans on. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:28:08 AM »
It is a motorcycle with a very large engine under your butt.......... ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jayke

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:59:30 AM »
Try some self adhesive heat insulation on the seat pan too. That's what I have on my '08.  Those open holes in the pan will allow heat to radiate up into the seat foam and on to your crotch.

If you ride long enough the heat will still soak through anyway.   You might want to consider a sheepskin on top as an extra layer from the heat. 

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »

kinda what i was thinking.
and if your creeping or at a stop light in 90s or hotter its gonna be hot reguardless.

Offline GordonM

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:00:16 AM »
I guess I should add some more information:  I am using the Kaw gel seat which does not seal as well at the gas tank and has less padding than the stock Kaw seat. 

There is a 5 mile stretch of my commute when it is faster to get off the freeway and take surface streets and the 8 stop lights involved.  The speed limit on the surface streets are 40 to 35mph.  I wear an Olympia 1 piece mesh riding suit over my work cloths in the summer.  I only have the heat problem when its above 90 degrees with the fan cycling at the stop lights.  It gets soo hot in the crotch area that I have to stand up to get my butt off the seat.  When I added the strip of foam as shown it felt like I was riding on a cool seat, Zero heat problem!

Ride your bike on a Hot! day until the fan starts to cycle, stop, leave the engine running, take off the seat and put your hand at the back of the tank and feel the rising heat.

This is the only time I ever have heat problems with the 2010 and it only involves the front of the seat.  The fairing redesign keeps the majority of heat from the radiator, motor and exhaust headers well away from the rider and I love it.

Gordon

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »

Pretty sure it ain't under my butt since I ride facing the windshield. Your mileage may vary.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
This is what you call hot riding weather....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
This is what you call hot riding weather....

:yikes:

At that temp I'm in the cage with the a/c blasting...  8)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »

:yikes:

At that temp I'm in the cage with the a/c blasting...  8)

This is the case with most riders around here except the die hards like myself...   It would be better if I was not riding a friggin 08 with heat pouring off it like I am riding the Sun.

Traffic is so bad though that with the Bike I get car pool lane so drive to work is 20 to 30 mins compared to caging it which would take 60 mins or more each way...

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
Traffic is so bad though that with the Bike I get car pool lane so drive to work is 20 to 30 mins compared to caging it which would take 60 mins or more each way...

Exactly my case, though my commute isn't as far as yours.  It is a 15 minute ride because I can use the car pool lane. It takes more than 30 minutes with the car because I can't even get on the freeway with all the traffic. Even when it's over 100 I'd much rather be on the bike than have to fight traffic on the side streets.

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
There is someone selling some insulation on eBay to put between the tank and frame. Don't buy it. You can pick it up at home depot for less. It really does work for what its worth. The tank would get scorching hot when empty in the summer time.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »
This is the case with most riders around here except the die hards like myself...   It would be better if I was not riding a friggin 08 with heat pouring off it like I am riding the Sun.

:rotflmao:
T.S.R.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
I've not noticed a heat problem with my C14 2010 version.  Pretty mild in my opinion.

On another note, I had my ECU reFlashed by Joe at Dynotronics and I notice that I don't have as many bars on the dash as I did before the reFlash.  Sooooo .... the bike seems to be running cooler, eh?
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 11:37:48 PM »

+1

There are more comfortable ways to travel

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine