Author Topic: When is a tire worn out or how worn is this tire?  (Read 11674 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: When is a tire worn out or how worn is this tire?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
Anyone tried the Shinkos? I have used them on my XS650's and just put a set on the Roadstar..

190 50 17 $143......
Shinko 016 Verge 2X Radial Rear Tire

Experience the new standard in motorcycle tires from Shinko, the DUAL COMPOUND 016 VERGE 2X! With Shinko tires all new dual compound technology you'll get the best of both worlds, superior traction when needed, with all the mileage. Sipes added for better wet grip and even wear. The full steel belted rear tire and Aramid front tire will provide high speed stability and strength.
Best of both worlds with new DUAL COMPOUND for superior traction AND mileage
Siping allows for added wet traction and longevity
Full steel belted rear tire and Aramid belted front for high speed handling
Tread profile designed for quick transitions and more lean angle

I've had no issues with Shinkos and would not hesitate to put them on the Concours if I found myself a thousand miles from home in need of a tire.  I run Shinkos on two of my bikes and will probably put them on a third when it needs tires. 

I choose to run PR4s on the Concours because of their rain capability.  The Concours is my go to distance touring steed and I want to be confident in the rain.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline clogan

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »
Anyone tried the Shinkos? I have used them on my XS650's and just put a set on the Roadstar..

190 50 17 $143......

Experience the new standard in motorcycle tires from Shinko, the DUAL COMPOUND 016 VERGE 2X! With Shinko tires all new dual compound technology you'll get the best of both worlds, superior traction when needed, with all the mileage. Sipes added for better wet grip and even wear. The full steel belted rear tire and Aramid front tire will provide high speed stability and strength.

I recently installed a Shinko Verge in a 200-50-17. After 1600 miles, I really like it. Especially when front AND rear, to my door, were less than the price of the rear only PR4.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »
I recently installed a Shinko Verge in a 200-50-17. After 1600 miles, I really like it. Especially when front AND rear, to my door, were less than the price of the rear only PR4.

PR4GT's are super great.  But one they they are not is cheap.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »
That tire is done man, especially if you ride any faster than a granny. And do yourself a favor and change BOTH. Rubber deteriorates with age, and each heat cycle. Even if the front looks good, it's not going to be nearly as good as new. I learned that lesson the hard way decades ago, after a front washout, and ended up costing me more than 30 times the cost of that tire. And was lucky to come out unscathed, or it'd have been much worse. NEVER SKIMP ON TIRES. They're the only thing keeping you from the ground. Never forget that ;). Good luck.

Offline Organdonor

• Benjammin'
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
You have a few more miles. I think I'd change it soon. Be careful in the wet. Here is a comparison I pulled off the net....

I used to wait too long, too. No longer.

Ben Jammin'
New London, CT
Current: 09 C14 ABS & 2 KLR650's
Past: 87 CBR1000F; 97 CBR1100XX Blackbird; 07 GL1800

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 05:23:38 AM »
That tire is done man, especially if you ride any faster than a granny. And do yourself a favor and change BOTH. Rubber deteriorates with age, and each heat cycle. Even if the front looks good, it's not going to be nearly as good as new. I learned that lesson the hard way decades ago, after a front washout, and ended up costing me more than 30 times the cost of that tire. And was lucky to come out unscathed, or it'd have been much worse. NEVER SKIMP ON TIRES. They're the only thing keeping you from the ground. Never forget that ;). Good luck.

+2

People need to take note of this point: Tires are the most important component of your bike

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Leo

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »
My practice was this:  As soon as I had any doubt in a tire, I would replace it.  Even if it had 1/2 the tread.  By the time you start to worry, something has changed.   Replace it.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:22 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  Since  there is still lots of tread on the edges, my plan is to avoid straight roads   ;)   (and have a replacement on hand, I change my own)
08B 73.5K miles

Offline JerBear

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 07:07:55 AM »
Now THAT is a very good idea!  Frugal AND fun!
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Bike Habit

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
+2

People need to take note of this point: Tires are the most important component of your bike

Quoted for truth! One thing I do not skimp on is tires! Be it cage, or bike, I put the best tire I can buy on it! An extra $100.00 is an easy decision for me....YMMV!
Ban Owners, not Breeds! American Pit Bull Terriers are Great Family Pets!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »
My practice was this:  As soon as I had any doubt in a tire, I would replace it.  Even if it had 1/2 the tread.  By the time you start to worry, something has changed.   Replace it.

Good advice.  In my case, I don't pack on the miles.  I had significant tread left, but the tires were getting old (> 3 yr) and hard and I was getting nervous.  Of course, my TPMS batteries were also going to crap, so it was time for that too (under warranty, so I was charged even less for new tire mounting).  It was time.

Similar thing happened on my car.  I had at least half my tread left, but the tires were very high performance models that were > 5 years old and turning into bricks that would not stick.  (I live 4 blocks from work, so I ride my bicycle every day, and I live in the center of lots of shopping,  most trips are usually short).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
It's still holding air isn't it? No cords showing? Good to go!

Haha. I agree!

I finished a rear tire off on a trip one time, and did the last 500 miles with the white stripe down the middle.

I was alone though...

I might not be so reckless with the wife on the back.

Always carry a plug kit...always.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 06:36:49 PM »
Always carry a plug kit...always.

Me too.  And I am about 99% sure I would never be able to use it correctly/effectively.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
Me too.  And I am about 99% sure I would never be able to use it correctly/effectively.

Years ago, before I had my first C14, I was riding a Kawi Z1000, and a Kawi ZX10R before that...and had to plug rear tires on both of them on the side of the road. First time was with an old fashioned ATV plug kit and CO2 cartridges. Worked like a charm, and put another 300 miles on that day (after limping to a gas station to properly inflate the tire). With the way liter-bikes eat rear tires, you're often riding them with a bare patch in the center, and they puncture very easily. A friend of mine with an 05 R1 went through 7 rear tires one season;).

Getting a rear flat tire on a motorcycle isn't all that big a deal imho...however, the front one may be a different story. Haven't had that happen yet.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »

190 50 17 $143......

I have a Shinko Raven on the back of my C14, 5500 miles so far & probably another 1500 to go. At $104 I can get 2 rear Shinko's for the price of 1 PR4. They handle just as good as The PR4's in my opinion & you can check the lack of chicken strips on mine  :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »
I have a Shinko Raven on the back of my C14, 5500 miles so far & probably another 1500 to go. At $104 I can get 2 rear Shinko's for the price of 1 PR4. They handle just as good as The PR4's in my opinion & you can check the lack of chicken strips on mine  :chugbeer:

Thanks for the first hand info, I like to think I'm fast but I'm not "that fast".  I'm pretty sure I don't need ultra rubber while keeping my pace within sane limits on the local roads.  With "too many motorcycles"  no one bike gets all that many miles a year.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline texrider

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
I've got a set of Verge 2X on the shelf as my next 14 tires, the rear is 200/50 so we shall see how it goes. Looks like nice tires.
2014 Valkyrie

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »

Just wondering if you've had PR4's on your bike?