Author Topic: a C14 owner can never have too many of these  (Read 6530 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
a C14 owner can never have too many of these
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »
Fresh FOB Batteries!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline rwnielsen

Re: a C14 owner can never have too many of these
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
All Hail the Fob  :hail:

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:16:28 PM »
Finally had to replace mine about a month ago. 2012 bike so the batteries lasted quite a while for me.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
 :finger_fing11:

Finally had to replace one about a year ago before, or during, a trip to W TN for my 2009.

Still have both original FOBs.  Very proud of myself for not losing one!   :D
The one I carry every day has been dropped, soaked in a downpour in multiple downpours, and washed.   ;D

Mad Powahh, indeed!!   :banana  :banana
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
My passive fob is always on my keychain.  I have had to use it a few times because I forgot the FOB in the house and didn't want to walk back in to get it.  Might as well just have a key bike if you only used the passive fob.  ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Organdonor

• Benjammin'
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »
I just replaced both of mine this spring, first time. The bike is an 09 leftover I purchased new in 2011. She's going in tomorrow for the dead TPMS sensor batteries. Specifically why I bought the ext warranty!
Ben Jammin'
New London, CT
Current: 09 C14 ABS & 2 KLR650's
Past: 87 CBR1000F; 97 CBR1100XX Blackbird; 07 GL1800

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:29:57 AM »
I gave up and put the fob in the compartment on the tank.  Kept getting to the shed to remember the fob was in the drawer in the kitchen. 
08B 73.5K miles

Offline JerBear

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
I just replaced both of mine this spring, first time. The bike is an 09 leftover I purchased new in 2011. She's going in tomorrow for the dead TPMS sensor batteries. Specifically why I bought the ext warranty!

You may want to strongly reconsider having them changed under warranty, the new type they use are potted and as far as I know can not be serviced (battery replaced)  They may be a better life unit but when they go to hell replacing them on your dime is pricey.  It cost me ten bucks and two or three hours of grunting to solder my new batteries into the original sensors and they work good as new now for the past year.  Plenty of info on the forum to replace the old batteries.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
Ask them to save the old sensors for you. More than a few folks here would love to buy them from you. The dealer will have to keep them initially in order to get reimbursed from Kaw for the cost, but if you ask them nicely, they may save them for you instead of throwing them in the dumpster after their warranty audit.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
Ask them to save the old sensors for you. More than a few folks here would love to buy them from you. The dealer will have to keep them initially in order to get reimbursed from Kaw for the cost, but if you ask them nicely, they may save them for you instead of throwing them in the dumpster after their warranty audit.

I was under the impression that the dealer had to actually send the parts back, no?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
When I worked for American Honda, the DSM came out every month or 2 and did a warranty audit including parts and the hours of labor. After the audit was completed, we trashed the defective parts.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 12:53:25 AM »
If you leave the fob within range of the bike when parked, it's going to eat the battery, since the system never goes to 'sleep'. I checked the battery on my 2015 bike, which I purchased the day it arrived, and it was quite low. Replaced it with a Panasonic, which is considered the best brand of such batteries due to having a hash-tag pattern on the '-' side, making better contact. We'll see how long it lasts when kept away from the bike. But will check it again in a year. Bought a lot of batteries, since they're used on many other gadgets, from heartrate monitor bands/watches, garage door openers, etc.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 03:45:38 AM »
If you leave the fob within range of the bike when parked, it's going to eat the battery, since the system never goes to 'sleep'

No it doesn't.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 05:53:41 AM »
If you leave the fob within range of the bike when parked, it's going to eat the battery, since the system never goes to 'sleep'.

I believe when the ignition is off, the bike only checks for the fob when you press down the ignition key.  So if the ignition is off and you are not pressing the key down, it shouldn't matter where the fob is (well, except for reasons of security).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »
I believe when the ignition is off, the bike only checks for the fob when you press down the ignition key. So if the ignition is off and you are not pressing the key down, it shouldn't matter where the fob is (well, except for reasons of security).
That makes absolute sense indeed. Not the same system used in cars with keyless ignition. Service manager told me that was the explanation for the low battery on my bike, but guess my chemo-ridden brain's common sense didn't kick in. Sorry about that. Besides, if that was the case, the bike's battery would also drain quicker (which happens on cars), and at least on my bike, that doesn't seem to be the case. I deactivated the blinking red LED (flashes for 24 hours), which doesn't draw hardly any juice (I have no use for it), and my battery quickly charges completely after a week or 2 sitting idle.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
I deactivated the blinking red LED (flashes for 24 hours), which doesn't draw hardly any juice (I have no use for it)

It doesn't pull hardy any power, but it acts as an excellent "warning: alarm" deterrent to people who might otherwise mess with the bike.  So I think it is a great feature.