Author Topic: Ridin' "Jetsons" style soon a reality?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Ridin' "Jetsons" style soon a reality?
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
A surprising number of small companies around the world are vying to be the first to bring flying cars to customers, and many are predicting that 2017 will be a turning point for the industry.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/18/luxury/flying-cars-aeromobil/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool&iid=obnetwork

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Ridin' "Jetsons" style soon a reality?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
A bigger fan you could not find than me. Every time I find myself in traffic I fantasize about pulling back on the wheel and leaving it behind. But I don't believe this will EVER even come close to main stream. Perhaps a Saudi prince or 2 with disposable billions and more importantly the power to change his country's regulations just for him could be a buyer. But for the rest of us, never mind the buy in cost, government is NEVER going to let this happen. The regulations and approvals required will never converge. And cities will never allow the risk of people flying into and landing in a congested area.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
I can see the first one every used... taking off... turbo prop spinning away... and a birds, gets smacked up in it... bird nuggets sprayed all over the road on to windsheilds...  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
For $340K, I could have a pretty nice car and a pretty nice airplane. Or a POS car and a NICE airplane.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
The wright brothers crashed very early on too, and look where we are today

edit:  not to mention the trillions of daily ground crashes of regular cars (which will continue until the hardware and software is perfected they drive themselves)

and there were closeminded folks that SWORE man would never go into space or land on the moon.  I'm surprised Tesla hasn't jumped on this bandwagon yet, but I learned in the business news today they've been throwing resources at battery powered train technology  for the green crowd in California  ;)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:05:55 AM »
This will bring texting and driving/flying to a new level.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:18:35 AM »
No worries...Google has you covered.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 05:41:20 AM »
That's what I'm afraid of..  And of course their car will tattle on you as well if you treat it mean or exceed any speed limits.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
Flying cars are nothing new. There have been successful models in the past.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »
Flying cars are nothing new. There have been successful models in the past.

whats new is these guys are putting them into production.  Can't have our politicians and CEO's going all the way to the airport to board a private 5-star corporate jet