Author Topic: Excessive heat on 2008 models  (Read 32250 times)

Offline mlouris

Re: Excessive heat on 2008 models
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »
Hi Guys,
I found pics of these mods on a forum. He claims it helped a lot. It makes sense as it seems the hot air gets trapped in the rear of the fairing, and this would increase air flow. For the lower fairing, a bigger hole would allow more heat to escape. He said it worked great, but the engine noise increased, which he said he liked. I think it would be cool to do some cheese grater slots in the lower fairing to match the upper fairing. If anyone has done this please post pics.

Mike

Offline koval68

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »
<snip>..... and you must wear protection.
...and you should!
I've owned many bikes over the last 30 years and "excessive heat" coming out of the motor never bothered me. Well, maybe there's one exception...BMW K1.
Besides, I don't ride wearing t-shirt, shorts and sandals.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »
I wear long jeans and high top boots when I ride, so far I haven't noticed anything that is bad. If I do I will order the foam blocks from Zteve

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
I have a friend w/ Zteve's product and they seem to help.  Much of the time, the bikes that are passing more heat to the legs have the original foam pieces incorrectly installed. 

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area, and have no complaints about heat on the legs since I adjusted the factory foam.  I also added insulation under the glove box because it was cooking the phones that I used to leave in there.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
+10000 LT1

My stock "heat panels" look a lot like ZSteves.  In fact a lot of C14 riders ask me if I have Zteves blockers.  I am 90% sure that the stock panels are incorrectly installed or are completely missing if you are having heat issues.  I lived in Atlanta through 2 summers of 100+ degrees and Atlanta parking lot traffic on I-75 and I-85.  No real issues with engine heat, just the "melt your face off under your helmet" heat from the roads, other vehicles and not moving in 100+ degrees.

I do however, have the cook your inner thighs heat from under the tank.  I am planning the heat reflective material to put under the tank hoping this helps.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline Shoe

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »
The stock 08 has heat shields similar to those offered on ebay. They are not as visible. However, a set of these shields from ebay should provide additional help. I may fabricate my own.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »
Anyone ever seen the movie "World's Fastest Indian"?  I've been thinking about just wrapping my leg with some asbestos tile.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
Anyone ever seen the movie "World's Fastest Indian"?  I've been thinking about just wrapping my leg with some asbestos tile.

Indeed! And make sure to fill in the cracks on your tires with some black shoe polish for tech inspection!!  ;)

Great movie.  :thumbs:

Offline booger

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »
I only notice it when I ride barefoot or with sandels :rotflmao:

Offline gflint

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
If you do not mind the illegality of the operation, removing the cat will cool things down quite a bit.  It also lowers engine temps in traffic situations.  Having a catalytic converter 1/2 an inch from the oil pan is not a good design.

The heat really does not bother me unless I ride in flip-flops and shorts.  But worse than the heat is my toe get beat up from shifting.  Every now and then I ruin a flip-flop when I put my foot down before coming to a complete stop.  I have to stop at the next convenience store to get new shoes.  When I ride bare foot the footpeg tickles too much.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 01:07:51 PM »
What heat?  Just don't ride with the "paraders" and wear ATGATT and there is no heat issues. 
Ride in parades or shorts and sandals?  Prepare to cook your ankles
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline gregg59

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »
I have a pair of heat panels from Zteve on my 08.  They helped my shin & ankle.  I can tell when when the gas tank is less then half full - gets a little warm (before and after the heat panels were installed).  I plan to add some reflective insulation under the tank when I run extra wires under it.

Gregg
08 C14

Offline jettcity1

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »
I have an '08 and I am in the pacific northwest. Mine is a hot one and i have installed foam to help but it simply puts the heat in other places, mainly electronics and battery areas. I know what happens to sensitive electronics and heat and this bike supposedly has 3 on-board computers.I took out the foam and simply apply barbecue sauce to my right leg evenly and savor the roasted smell. This bike is a hot one but i have ridden others that will slow roast you evenly and thoroughly. Its a good thing its not warm up here in NW Wa. state very often or i would surely melt on this thing. Leave the heat blockers off and put up with it, i would not want to roast something else.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:19 PM »
What heat?  Compared to an air cooled bike, these bikes run cool.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
What heat?  Compared to an air cooled bike, these bikes run cool.

+1...

Try riding an oil cooled Gixxer around in the summer, then you'll stop complaining about Connie heat...  ::)

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations for the reflective insulation for under the tank?  I was looking at the thermo tec stuff that auto zone sells.  Any opinions on that.  I was also thinking about wrapping the header as well or maybe just the cat.  I ride in alot of stop and go traffic and I can definately feel the heat coming off the cat when its hot outside. 

Offline xKLR

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
What heat?  Just don't ride with the "paraders" and wear ATGATT and there is no heat issues. 

ATGATT? Is that some sort of thermophile DNA restriction site?

-RC

Offline gflint

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
I got some insulation material at Home Depot for under the tank.  Silver foil on both sides, plastic bubble material in between.  Maybe 3/16 in thick.  Has worked well for three years.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 04:59:22 AM »
ATGATT? Is that some sort of thermophile DNA restriction site?

-RC

Possibly....All The Gear All The Time
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bob

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:37 AM »
Possibly....All The Gear All The Time

Yeah that's it. The down side of ATGATT is when you crash, because you pass out from heat stroke!  ;D