Author Topic: Why should I buy a c14?  (Read 36748 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Why should I buy a c14?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
I knew I could rely on you Gary!  Jolly good show!  :rotflmao:   I'm feeling much better now.  You forgot to point out the hate of the tire pressure sensors as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
The insurance on my concours is double my voyager.  Can't imagine what it would be for a 22 year old.  You must have deep pockets for your age.

How about the versus 1000 LT?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »
Wait.... wait.... who hates KiPass?   >:(

Kirby

You forgot to hate on KIPASS.
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »
There are a few haters here and there, Kirby.  If you weren't trying to find your nuts all the time, you'd know that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
The C-14 is big, bloated, and is now getting very dated. The bike (imho) handles terribly. With that said, it is probably the best priced bike out there. St1300's are stupid money, and no one stocks them. The FJR1300 is a great package and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying it. More power and a 6th gear and it would be awesome.  BMW? Dig deep babe.
If you are not into road trips and being a college kid, I would look at the Ninja 1000.
“Why is this bike better than the FJR/VFR/k1200GT...etc” – Its not. It is a good reasonably price alternative.
>:(
Well there are just so many factors to the handling of any bike. You might want to spend a little time trying to set up your suspension if your capable. Then there's the tyres PR4GT's work exceptionally well on the C14. Then there's the craftsmanship of riding if your lacking it's easy to blame the machine.
IMHO. but you know what they say about opinions. " they're like anus's, everyone has one and everyone else's stinks."

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Big and bloated? If it was smaller I would look like Magilla Gorilla on a scooter, I like it's size lol. As far as being slow, if you need a bike quicker and faster, you must be going to track days and not riding on state roads that have speed limits... You're breaking any speed limit in America before getting out of 2nd if you get on it...
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 11:13:48 PM »
That's the spirit!

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »
>:(
Well there are just so many factors to the handling of any bike. You might want to spend a little time trying to set up your suspension if your capable. Then there's the tyres PR4GT's work exceptionally well on the C14. Then there's the craftsmanship of riding if your lacking it's easy to blame the machine.
IMHO. but you know what they say about opinions. " they're like anus's, everyone has one and everyone else's stinks."

First let me say that just because I own one, doesn't mean it gets a pass on anything. What I said was my honest opinion, sorry if i am not yes man for the Connie or If I offended.
I do have the suspension set up about as good as the stock one can get. I also have the PR4s on it. This bike has never inspired confidence for me. Its... ok, but not great. Perhaps your experience is better.I have road a mile or two in my day, but dont claim to be expert. I will say this. I have owned 2 RT, and just test road a new one today. All of them handled far superior to my connie out of the box.

This bike is dated. It should have electronic dash, suspension, Cruise control, heated Grips, and seat. It also should have a better engine that has more HP, and is better on consumption. Instead for whatever reason the Japanese keep pushing the same tired bike year after year.

In the end, I guess the jokes on me. I sat on a lot of bike today from the completely raw and unruly to the simplest of cruiser. Seems that everything is too expensive, and nobody makes exactly what I want. I was content to jump back on the connie and ride home without shame.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 04:51:46 AM »
First let me say that just because I own one, doesn't mean it gets a pass on anything. What I said was my honest opinion, sorry if i am not yes man for the Connie or If I offended.
I do have the suspension set up about as good as the stock one can get. I also have the PR4s on it. This bike has never inspired confidence for me. Its... ok, but not great. Perhaps your experience is better.I have road a mile or two in my day, but dont claim to be expert. I will say this. I have owned 2 RT, and just test road a new one today. All of them handled far superior to my connie out of the box.

This bike is dated. It should have electronic dash, suspension, Cruise control, heated Grips, and seat. It also should have a better engine that has more HP, and is better on consumption. Instead for whatever reason the Japanese keep pushing the same tired bike year after year.

In the end, I guess the jokes on me. I sat on a lot of bike today from the completely raw and unruly to the simplest of cruiser. Seems that everything is too expensive, and nobody makes exactly what I want. I was content to jump back on the connie and ride home without shame.

:finger_fing11: :chugbeer:

Offline shaggs147

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:09 AM »
It's all horses for courses I guess.  If we all loved the same thing it would be boring. When I first sat on mine 3 plus years ago I thought it was very wide and it felt like I was giving birth to it rather than riding it. I quickly got used to it and found it to be the best bike I've owned to date as it does everything I want it to very well in my opinion. Its probably neither the best touring bike or sports bike in the world, but if I tour on it it has all the toys I need and munches the miles. If I want to have a play then its fast enough, for me anyway, and I can have a lot of fun in the twisties. I can't justify having 2 or more bikes so this is the best all round package for me, and I love its presence on the road. My bike is purely for pleasure rather than necessity, so I'm not too bothered with MPG, although I find mine to be very good on the motorway anyway. If you want more toys then there are options to either modify it or get your wallet out and get the K1600. It's a bike at the end of the day, load it up with more and more toys and you might as well get a car! Get out in the rain, wind and sun, wear some decent kit, and ride the ass out of it.  ;D
It just goes to show how we get involved with our bikes though, and the personal pleasure it brings. When was the last time you sat in your car and thought " I must change the seat, suspension or tyres" not because its perfect, its just because that will do. Riding a bike is so much more personal and involved, that's why we all have our own opinions as to what's best or worst. Love it!  8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:44:45 AM by shaggs147 »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 06:04:32 AM »
This bike is dated. It should have electronic dash,

It has an electronic computer display and that is enough.  I suspect that nearly 0% of us would want to give up the two large analog dials.  That is a major positive feature.  If they wanted to make the computer display part be larger and color, fine.  If they want to ALSO add optional digital readouts for speed/rpm in the computer display, that is fine.  But leave the odometer and speedometer alone.

suspension

Too expensive, and of questionable value

Cruise control

Agreed (and it will be coming, no doubt, with the switch to drive-by-wire)

, heated Grips,

Um, the Concours has had heated grips for 6 years.  Where have you been?

and seat.

I added that (which is easy) and to me it was a waste.  Doesn't add much at all.

It also should have a better engine that has more HP, and is better on consumption.

It is the most powerful/performance sport touring you can buy.  More power is always welcome, but not if it sacrifices reliability, smoothness, quietness, or comfort (which is how this engine is designed).

Instead for whatever reason the Japanese keep pushing the same tired bike year after year.

It is called being conservative, which is what we like- it means it is a very well tested and perfected machine with high reliability, and a zillion aftermarket goodies.  Things don't have to or need to change year after year.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 06:19:12 AM »
Shall we also compare warranties?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2015, 06:24:23 AM »

Interesting that the C14 is so dated and full of shortcomings, yet you found nothing in all the bikes you looked at that could compare.  Perhaps the C14 isn't so bad after all?

Granted there are lots of gizmos it might have, but then it would cost like a BMW.  In my view what it has and does is first rate.  What it lacks can easily be added if that something you must have and have the money to pay for.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2015, 07:21:23 AM »
It's all horses for courses I guess.  If we all loved the same thing it would be boring. When I first sat on mine 3 plus years ago I thought it was very wide and it felt like I was giving birth to it rather than riding it.

That is how I felt in 2011 when I did a long demo ride on one.  Bought the Versys instead, but knew the concours would make a great touring bike with the driveshaft and adjustable windscreen and heated grips.

It took a couple thousand miles to condition my body to the stock riding position.  I'm glad I waited to see if I could adapt to the bike before trying to turn it into a cruiser. ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »
Why buy a C14? Because you want one. When I buy a motorcycle I know that unless I get killed on it, it won't be the last one I buy. When I purchased my previous bike I fully intended to only have it for 2-3 years. I had it for nearly 9.

Financial situations change, the way I ride changes, where I ride changes. The only true constant is WHY I ride. I ride because I like it. I REALLY LIKE IT. It's good for my mental well being. Period. I don't ride just for transportation. I havea car and a truck for that. I don't generally ride locally. If I throw a leg over my bike, I'm probably gonna cross a state line.

I have never heard of, let alone seen, a vehicle that was EVERYTHING I wanted in one package. When a manufacturer builds a bike that looks like an Electra Glide, runs like ZX10, handles like a Moto Gp bike, has the versatility of an ADV bike, has all analogue gauges, a stereo, cruise, all of the creature comforts, and is maintenance free, let me know.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
Interesting that the C14 is so dated and full of shortcomings, yet you found nothing in all the bikes you looked at that could compare.  Perhaps the C14 isn't so bad after all?

Granted there are lots of gizmos it might have, but then it would cost like a BMW.  In my view what it has and does is first rate.  What it lacks can easily be added if that something you must have and have the money to pay for.

Yeah... :-\ The BMWs are great bikes, but personally if I part company with the amount of dollars they command, it will need to go to costco, and haul the family around. The RT is a fantastic road trip motorcycle, if you have never owned one, you should at least try it out. But with that said. They are a bore around town, or on a day ride.

I have to admit the more that I reflect on it, perhaps its just boredom. I really wish I had incentive to buy a new bike. If they just did a refresh of the Connie like they did the FJR. I would probably jump, because after having both, it is the better package.  With that said, my Connie is kind of like Herpes. If it sits in the garage during the rainy season for $200 a month it doesn't bother me a bit to walk by it. When I do take it out it is about everything I want. My longest day in the Saddle was 950 miles and it was done on my connie. -Hence at this juncture I just cant logically get rid of it as I am not finding a "sensible" replacement.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
I really wish I had incentive to buy a new bike. If they just did a refresh of the Connie like they did the FJR.

2016 is the year I believe that will happen... or at least it is the earliest year I think it would happen (and have believed so for several years now).  I wouldn't want to bet on it though... not only because it is just speculation, but also because I am not known for being lucky.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
The Saki has to be especially good for that to happen.

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »
The Saki has to be especially good for that to happen.

And perhaps the economy. The World seems to be doing much better these days and car sales are on fire here in the states. It would makes sense to see the Japanese manufactures start keeping pace with the Europeans.

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Man this is getting more heated than a tire and oil thread! At the end of the day man, go with your gut, and remember a lot of things can be fairly easily changed on just about any kind of bike you end up with. Big thing is to get out there and ride! Set up whatever you end up with in the way you feel it should be, whether that be for comfort, speed, what ever, and have fun. Best of luck.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225