Author Topic: Why should I buy a c14?  (Read 36750 times)

Offline PirateRiderBen

Why should I buy a c14?
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »
Okay folks I'm seeking your valuable and sage advice. Currently I own a Vfr 800 (1998) and a 2007 triumph Tiger 1050ABS. I love both bikes but, at 22 years old, there are many bikes that interest me. I'm probably not the typical college aged fellow when it comes to bikes and I have never and do not plan to own any Harley's or crotch rockets. I like comfort, refinement, and performance. There's various little nit picks with the bikes I own now but every bike as some little things. What I want to know is how does the c14 stack up in a SPORT touring world? I live in NC so I have a plethora of twisty roads to choose from. Yes I know this bike is pretty heavy, but I've seen people do some pretty wild things with heavy bikes. I am 6'4" and 225. I don't drag knees but I do like to ride pretty spirited. I am also trying to get into some longer trips as well as increasing the time my long term lady friend rides along with me. What are the pros and cons of the c14? What should I be aware of looking at used bikes? BUdget is 7 thousand or less which includes any mods that it would need right away like a seat or suspension.  Why is this bike better than the FJR/VFR/k1200GT...etc.

Thanks!

-PRB
2013 CB500F    -     2007 Tiger 1050 ABS - 1999 VFR800

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Why should I buy a c14?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
I like comfort, refinement, and performance.

Then you have come to the right place

There's various little nit picks with the bikes I own now but every bike as some little things. What I want to know is how does the c14 stack up in a SPORT touring world?

Many believe the C14 is the best sport touring bike available, and certainly the best value.

What are the pros and cons of the c14?

Depends on what your exact factors are and what is important to you.  To me, the pros are the high reliability, best warranty of anything you can buy (both initial AND extended), low maintenance and maintenance costs, dual main analog dials, great comfort and refinement, smoothness of engine and transmission, lots of nice amendments, nice styling, large number of accessories, low insurance rates, good performance , good handling, lots of storage, and great value.... among other things.  The cons are being heavy and tall, smaller fuel tank size than ideal, and the lack of integrated cruise control.  Other people will likely have different lists.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
hi PRB, welcome to the nut house.
I can't (and I think nobody can) tell you what's best for you, but from your description, it looks like you wouldn't do a mistake buying the C14. It's a great bike for those things that you're describing, and based on my ex- (5' 4'') and my current (5' 8'') girlfriend, they prefer the C14's rear seat over that on the K1600, the R1200RT and the FJR. The reasons they mentioned were seat comfort and seating position on the two beemers, and the wind blast on the FJR. Apparently the C14 offers the right combination of seat cushioning, leg position and visibility-vs-wind blast. Sorry, no experience with the K1200GT, but I drove the 1200VFR and it's really good, I just cannot stand the stupid automated gearbox and I don't fancy touring without an electrically adjustable windshield, plus it's simply expensive.
The one point in which you should focus when test driving a C14 is the bending angle of your knees, since you seem to be a tall guy.
Performance wise, you'll be blown away. I drive the BMW S1000RR for at least a couple of thousand miles every year and I tried the ZX14R, so I know what a fast bike is, and the C14, while two leagues below them, is still pretty quick.
What to look for when shopping for a used C14? I don't know. Mine is 6 years, 60 000 miles old, and there's nothing wrong with it. Tires, oil, fuel, and soon the second valve check. That's it. Recalls have been made, and I would sleep sound if I sold it to my best friend.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:35:57 AM »
PRB, where in NC are you located?

Also I can't add much more to what has already been said, but I will say, go and test ride all of the bikes that intrest you and pick the one that moves you!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:18:21 AM »
The C14 should 'move' him the best.  This is a C14 forum, I'm certainly not going to recommend any other bike.. ;) ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:26:40 AM »
The C14 should 'move' him the best.  This is a C14 forum, I'm certainly not going to recommend any other bike.. ;) ::)
That depends....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 04:40:54 AM »
Depends on what?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
My recommendation is to find an example of each ST bike you are interested in.  If you can get a test ride, take it.  If not, put the bike on the center stand and sit on it for at least 30 minutes and pretend you are riding.  They all have slightly different ergonomics.

IMO, the Concours is the most sport oriented out of the choices.  When I first got mine it felt very big for me and I almost wimped out and put risers on the bars.  I decided to give it some miles and I am glad I did because I really like the stock riding position. 

Since you will be looking at older bikes, read the reviews on the years (generation) you are considering.  All these big engines throw off a lot of heat.  The later generations do a better job of keeping the heat from the rider. 

For me the Concours can be quite warm in the summer because of all the wind protection. 

Good Luck.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 05:12:33 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 05:18:21 AM »
Right..

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:20 AM »
In 2007 I "upgraded" from my 99 VFR to my 08 C14 because both the wife and I were reaching the age where comfort was becoming more important than sport on our two annual long road trips. After approx.  140,000 miles on each bike the C14 has passed the VFR for my favorite all around bike over many in 45 years of steady riding. On a scale of 1-10
Sporty/Fun To Ride:
99 VFR  8
08 Concours 7

Long Distance comfort:
99 VFR  6
08 Concours 8
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:03 AM »
I live in N NV, have access to much better roads than you got in NC (like Sierre Nv range, PCH, etc) and the bike with PR4's, doesn't disappoint in handling. In fact, I almost never ride my old, sportier katana 1100. If you don't think you'll ever do a tour, it might be overkill. The only time the bike feels ponderous is maybe in stop and go traffic.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »
I am 6'2" and all of my previous bikes have been sport bikes. Trust me you will not be disappointed with a C14.

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
Haha don't pee in Jim's wheeties guys!

To answer the OP, all I can say is I love my connie. I came from riding dirt bikes as a kid and then a Vmax later on, which I drag raced for several years pretty competitively. Even with the added weight of the Concours, It can haul tail. It isn't as fun from red light to red light, but much better at highway speeds and in the twisties. The modern features on it are great too, adjustable windshield, fairings that block rain/wind from almost all of your body, tons of storage space, heated grips, etc. I feel like I have finally come into the 21st century with this bike haha.  I also live in NC, eastern part now and about to move to the Boone area in a couple months, which is where I normally end up on trips and I love the way the bike handles up in the mountains.

I would say, see if you can test out a few different types before pulling the trigger. Other than a few little issues that I am working to resolve, I have no major complaints with the Concours whatsoever. Comfortable, FAST, and practical (you can actually carry stuff with you when commuting or on trips).

Best of luck man
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 12:17:58 PM »
I wanted the C14 before it hit the dealer's floors.  I bought it un-ridden and fell in love with it at first sight.  Only bike that gave me goose bumps seeing it in the flesh.  I've had it since Aug of 07 and haven't regretted a single damn day of ownership.  It will be the last bike I own.

If you have to ask why you should buy it then you haven't made up your mind.  Not going to convince you to buy it.  You have to want it.  If you don't have a burning in your soul for it then it ain't for you.  That's how I feel about this bike.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:14 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
 ;D

Offline Spanky

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
The C-14 will be more comfortable after you farkle it to your liking. It will also be more of a bike in the tight cornered mountain roads of North Carolina. She handles very well for her weight, but only you can decide if the extra weight is a factor for you or not. Most your age would consider this bike big and heavy. Prior to the 14, I only owned lighter weight bikes and it did take some time for me to adjust to the added weight in the corners. That being said, I agree with others that this is the best all around motorcycle I have ever owned. I have an 09 with 50k on it. Many of those miles have been in your neck of the woods. Just can't beat the roads down there. You do have to work a little harder on the tight roads, but once you get used to it, the C can cover some ground and surprise more than one sport bike if ridden well.

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »
The C-14 is big, bloated, and is now getting very dated. The bike (imho) handles terribly. With that said, it is probably the best priced bike out there. St1300's are stupid money, and no one stocks them. The FJR1300 is a great package and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying it. More power and a 6th gear and it would be awesome.  BMW? Dig deep babe.
If you are not into road trips and being a college kid, I would look at the Ninja 1000.
“Why is this bike better than the FJR/VFR/k1200GT...etc” – Its not. It is a good reasonably price alternative.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
The C-14 is big, bloated, and is now getting very dated. The bike (imho) handles terribly. With that said, it is probably the best priced bike out there. St1300's are stupid money, and no one stocks them. The FJR1300 is a great package and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying it. More power and a 6th gear and it would be awesome.  BMW? Dig deep babe.
If you are not into road trips and being a college kid, I would look at the Ninja 1000.
“Why is this bike better than the FJR/VFR/k1200GT...etc” – Its not. It is a good reasonably price alternative.
You forgot to hate on KIPASS.