Author Topic: Why should I buy a c14?  (Read 36749 times)

Offline aristarchus

• 5 Years of 2 ZG14's experience, over 120,000 miles
Re: Why should I buy a c14?
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
No other bike gives you as much utility as the Connie.  Safe, fast, panniers, pillion comfort, sexy.  Buy a good used one and get to love it.  Then buy a new one, no miles.  That's what I did.  Been on this model for 5 years now and it will be the only bike I'll own.  30 years of riding, my life is a series of bikes - 17 so far.  Can't wait for the 1452 cc model, you know it's coming to mirror the ZG14 that just came out.  :)
hpc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »
Agreed!   8)

Welcome!!   :chugbeer:
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline tomp

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »
Meh,
About the only time I slow down is to check the shorty-shorts.  ;)  ;D

Early 70s?  Good for you, man!!
Long career on 2 wheels!   :thumbs:

My pillion has so far been clear of mentals and skank.  8)
Started riding in 69, and have been continually on two wheels since then.  Motorcycles, pistols, and music/drumming have been my passions for my entire adult, and before, life.  The C14 was my last purchase, I believe #60, only two wives though, both Hawt, and so different.  Should have kept #1.  Oh well, live and learn.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »
No other bike gives you as much utility as the Connie.  Safe, fast, panniers, pillion comfort, sexy.  Buy a good used one and get to love it.  Then buy a new one, no miles.  That's what I did.  Been on this model for 5 years now and it will be the only bike I'll own.  30 years of riding, my life is a series of bikes - 17 so far.  Can't wait for the 1452 cc model, you know it's coming to mirror the ZG14 that just came out.  :)

+1

Nor reliability!  (mad pow-ah of KiPass, I've never been left walkin')

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »
So, let me get this straight, the 14 is broken in some where between 500 and 91,000 miles.  Mine is at 27K now, should I still need to be changing the oil every 500 miles and be checking for flecks of metal in the filter?

FWIW, there are KLR owners who have changed O/F 3-4 times by 500 miles, always looking for flecks and never exceeding 4K RPM.  Had two, rode the snot out of them both, from day one, and changed the oil once at 500 miles.  Amazingly, the oil still looked new, and had no flecks in it.  Kawi's break-in regimes are inconsistent yet the final results are normally the same, a good running, non oil burning, enjoyable bike.  Broke in a Ninja 650 and KLX 250S the same way, with the same positive results.

I believe we worry too much about the little things, flecks in the oil, for one...

How many miles did you put on those bikes before parting with them?

Most folks don't keep a bike long enough for breakin to matter to them.  It is the subsequent owners that may have to deal with it, but then again many bikes take 20 years to hit 20,000 miles.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Ginger Ninja

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
Also 22, bought my 2011 a year ago and have not looked back once. Comfortable, smooth, reliable, and FAST!!! Done 20,000 miles on it and still enjoy it like the day i got it.   

Offline PirateRiderBen

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »
Well, just to dig this thread up again. Ive gone a year on my little Cb500F (Still have the Tiger 1050) and I'm selling it soon. I've come right back to the Connie 1400. Hard to shake them.
2013 CB500F    -     2007 Tiger 1050 ABS - 1999 VFR800

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2016, 07:05:03 PM »
Well, just to dig this thread up again. Ive gone a year on my little Cb500F (Still have the Tiger 1050) and I'm selling it soon. I've come right back to the Connie 1400. Hard to shake them.

Welcome back
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »
I have a friend a couple hours away who has offered me a test ride, which I graciously accepted. That should be happening some time later this week. I will be graduating college in December and depending on where I settle at after school, I may make some changes.

!. How did the test ride go?
2. Did you graduate?
3 Where did you settle? Still in NC? ..somewhere near twisty roads I hope.

While you've been riding since your OP, the FJR has become more competitive to the C14, but then that's just the new models.
Probably won't go wrong with either a C14 or FJR as both are good bikes, but if you can find a used C14 with a valid warranty/valid extended warranty in force then I'd look hard at that over unwarranted bikes with lower miles on the ODO. Depending on the miles of the used bike in question and the usual used bike inspections (drop damage, strange noises, clunky shifting, oil leaks) I'd ask to see some documentation showing that the valve adjustments have been performed, ever.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »
Now that time has passed, I think an FJ-09 is a valid choice also.  Fast and sporty, but comfortable, lighter and way cheaper.  Wonder how it reads for insurance?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline tomp

« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
Now that time has passed, I think an FJ-09 is a valid choice also.  Fast and sporty, but comfortable, lighter and way cheaper.  Wonder how it reads for insurance?
Unsure on the FJ, but I went to buy an FZ-09 last year, and Progressive wanted $1000 a year for me at 65, with no tickets or wrecks.  State Farm wanted $1400.  Needless to say, I didn't get one.  The FJ would be a great ADV bike.  Looked at one with a few hundred miles on it, but didn't get it.  Went back and it was gone... tp

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
Good.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PirateRiderBen

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2016, 09:40:10 AM »
Sex appeal matters to me, and the FJR is just...plain. A great bike and they sit nicely, but it doesn't speak to me. The Concours just has curb appeal that only is matched to me by the K series BMW's.

Same with the FJ-09, maybe I'm just not a Yammie-Haw type of fellow.

Snatchy is one of the biggest issues with the Tiger. Totally manageable, but I wouldn't buy a bike with that known issue again.

My 80 mile test ride last summer on a '12 Connie was great. The owner had the absurdly large Horizon HeliBars which were a bit too close and tall for my 6'4" frame and long arms, and the stock seat left something to be desired but I have yet to meet a stock seat I liked so I wouldn't hold that against the C14. The smoothness of this bike is amazing. I thought my VFR and Tiger were smooth till I rode the C14. Its like a turbine underneath you. 90mph in 3rd gear with the screen up and had no idea, only running like 5k RPMs!

Offline PirateRiderBen

« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »
In other news, I graduate in May, and plan to relocate back to the western side of NC. keeping my fingers crossed for the right job opportunity.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
Snatchy is one of the biggest issues with the Tiger. Totally manageable, but I wouldn't buy a bike with that known issue again. [...]My 80 mile test ride last summer on a '12 Connie was great. The smoothness of this bike is amazing. I thought my VFR and Tiger were smooth till I rode the C14. Its like a turbine underneath you. 90mph in 3rd gear with the screen up and had no idea, only running like 5k RPMs!

And if you think it is nice stock.... reflashed and with a Throttle Tamer, it is amazing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
Its like a turbine underneath you. 90mph in 3rd gear with the screen up and had no idea, only running like 5k RPMs!

That is exactly how I described my ZX12R to everyone for years "turbine smooth". The motor so impressed me that I went back to Mama Kaw for a C14 over every other brand. Best decision I could have made! Have not regretted it for a second! :banana
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline PirateRiderBen

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »
Gosh folks, I have to apologize. I've done it for a second year in a row.

Found a too good to pass up deal on a 2008 BMW K1200S. So that followed me home, delaying my C14 purchase for at least another year, maybe 2.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
 :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »

Found a too good to pass up deal on a 2008 BMW K1200S. So that followed me home, delaying my C14 purchase for at least another year, maybe 2.

Oh, shame on you.... the Concours is so much better!
But maybe it will be gen 3 then when you look at it again....

Have fun!

Offline tomp

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »

The K is a great bike, and I know you will enjoy it.  Be careful, as the K's performance feel is so understated, it's very easy to find yourself waaaaay over speed limits, with no sensation of speed.  I turned down buying one just for that reason.  Feels very different from the C14, but handles much the same, with the K being a little more nimble and neutral feeling, at least to me.  tp