Author Topic: Fork tube discoloration  (Read 7472 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Fork tube discoloration
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:37:44 AM »
I removed the front wheel to get the tire replaced and found that the front of the fork tubes are discolored. Has anyone else experienced this?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Fork tube discoloration
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
That's what comes of washing a bike.

I've not seen that before. I'll look when I get home.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:55:29 AM »
I hadn't noticed before because the front fender kind of hides that area.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
Uneducated question... when the bike is sitting on the ground, is that discolored area behind the fork seal? The way I'm interpreting the picture, with the wheel off your bike the tube is fully extended without any load on it, meaning that the spot would normally be hidden by the seal.

I'm not sure how much movement there is on the forks without a load, so I'm just guessing.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
Good question! 

To be honest, it my very well be above the seal when the bike is in it's "normal resting state". I had the front end raised when I pulled the fender.

I will find out later today when I put the front wheel back on.

sailor_chic

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
That sure does seem like that would be a lot of sag to cover that discoloration. Guessing that would  be 40% of your suspension gone from just resting!  (?)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
I am going to guess it is just some of the fork seal wearing into or wearing off the outer metal plating ever so lightly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
I'll run it and see what happens.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
Photo shows wheel off, and the witness line still has color around it..

Hmm you got extended GTPP? Id querry the dealer on this one, and if they don't step up, scrub it down with 600 grit wet dry paper and fork oil, wipe it dry, and see what it looks like. Mine don't look like that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:34:07 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »
Nope, no warranty. We'll see what it looks like after i ride it a bit.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »
I removed the front wheel to get the tire replaced and found that the front of the fork tubes are discolored. Has anyone else experienced this?

I overhaul about 25 sets of forks per season, and I've never seen that type of discoloration before. Weird.

Bad bottom bushing maybe...

I don't think either of the two seals will cause that.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but did you try wiping it off with a solvent or anything yet?

I often use small diamond files and/or Scotchbrite pads to touch up marks and spots on fork tubes, but this is a new one on me.

Subscribed.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
I tried lacquer thinner then some Mother's Magbrite polish, no joy.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
I think it's from using it too much when it was new. :finger_fing11:
The grass isn't always greener.

jirod

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:33 PM »
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that something has been eating away at the hard chrome plating on your fork tube. Dirty seal? Bad bushing? Bad plating to begin with? If you have acces to a wide enough micrometer you might be able to measure or feel the wear. Google 'chrome plating motorcycle fork tubes'.
Good luck and safe riding.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »
That looks like a wear band on the fork lowers, as another poster already mentioned. If you look closely, and it really is wear, you should be able to see the circumferential grinding marks in the surrounding material disappear in that discolored band; that would be the wear from the lower fork bushing.

If you bought the bike used, it is possible that fork is dry and all the fluid leaked out during the previous owners(s) ownership. Unfortunately, it is tough to tell if there is fluid, or how much fluid there may be, in an upside down fork.

If it is wear, and there is still chrome left over the entire fork lower leg, the diameter loss will be inconsequential. But the fork will have to be re- filled with oil, the seal replaced and very probably, the fork lower bushing replaced also. This can all be done by a motorcycle suspension shop.

The great news is that there are a some C-14's out there that have been parted out and you may well find a used but [not damaged] front fork, or pair of front forks. Be careful when buying used forks though as they are the leading end in most motorcycle crashes. You can also use the first generatino ZX-14 forks, which show up from time to time as new take- offs at a very reasonable price; I have a set on my C-14 that were less than $400 and they are brand new forks. The forks are the same with a few differences; the ZX forks have a compression damping adjustment which the C-14 does not, the ZX has a much lighter spring, and the ZX forks are gold anodized. Otherwise, they are a direct fit and really quite easy to change.

Brian

I tried lacquer thinner then some Mother's Magbrite polish, no joy.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 10:37:04 PM »
Thanks for all the input.