Author Topic: Noise on front bevel gears  (Read 33704 times)

Offline tomp

Re: Noise on front bevel gears
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »
Just tossing this out, because I don't know, but my 08, in first gear, has a rotating sound, kinda sounds like waa, waa, waa, that speeds up with acceleration, and is then no longer noticeable after I shift into 2nd.  It's done it since I bought the bike 14 months ago, and nothing has changed, sound wise.  I've put over 6K miles on it, and have always wondered if this is normal.  I read before purchasing, that grinding noises in first gear were normal, and to ignore.  Seems to lessen as the drive train warms.  I normally short shift out of first, just in case, but so far no problems. 

Am I ok, or is this something to be concerned about, down the road?   Extended warranty is out, and truthfully, I am not going to split the cases.  Just wondering if this is normal/ok to live with....tomp

FWIW, bought it at 20K miles and now at 26+K mile.  Regular O/F changes w synthetic.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »
Sounds like the torque converter is going out. My Trans am does that too. 8)

Probably just some gear whine that's harmless.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline tomp

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »
Sounds like the torque converter is going out. My Trans am does that too. 8)

Probably just some gear whine that's harmless.
  Thanks, probably correct on the gear noise.  Looked for the trans dip stick to make sure the fluid wasn't burned, but couldn't find it.  Leave it to KHI to hide the damn thing.  Wonder it the TC from an old MOPAR TorqueFlite will fit?  Those were some tough transmissions, tied to 440 6 packs and 426 Hemi's, back in the day. 

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
Received parts on last Monday and today after installing new output shaft bearings, put the engine half back together and have the engine back on her, with no oil pan on it an with the help of a motorcycle jack was very easy to install the engine back on the frame
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline tomp

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »
Perhaps easy for you, but looking at the pics you've posted, especially the last one, raises my blood pressure over  the frustration of ever having to do that to any bike.  I'm OK with a Briggs and Stratton mower engine today, but that rebuild is more complicated than the Ford  and Chevy engines I did 45-50 years.  My, how things have changed.  Post a completed pic and video showing no more of the noise the first video showed. 

Congrats on a job well done, sir... tomp
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:19:15 PM by tomp »

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »
Perhaps easy for you, but looking at the pics you've posted, especially the last one, raises my blood pressure over of the frustration of ever having to do that to any bike.  I'm OK with a Briggs and Stratton mower engine today, but that rebuild is more complicated than the Ford  and Chevy engines I did 45-50 years.  My, how things have changed.  Post a completed pic and video showing no more of the noise the first video showed. 

I will, thanks

Offline jwh20

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2015, 03:42:30 AM »
Perhaps easy for you, but looking at the pics you've posted, especially the last one, raises my blood pressure over  the frustration of ever having to do that to any bike.  I'm OK with a Briggs and Stratton mower engine today, but that rebuild is more complicated than the Ford  and Chevy engines I did 45-50 years.  My, how things have changed.  Post a completed pic and video showing no more of the noise the first video showed. 

While I certainly wouldn't suggest an engine removal and teardown as a first repair project, a job like this really ends up being a relatively long sequence of relatively simple steps.  What I like about the DIY job is that you know that no corners were cut, no bolts were improperly torqued, no gaskets were re-used, no pieces were left behind.  In other words, you have confidence in a job done right!

I think for most people the biggest hurdle is tools.  Having the right tools makes all the difference.  I generally view buying tools as an investment that does pay dividends.  Say you are looking at a $500 repair at the dealer service department but you don't have the tools.  I'd rather spend the $500 on tools that I get to keep and reuse than pay them to use their tools.  So this job ends up costing you the same money but the next job that needs those tools is a lot cheaper.  Plus you've developed your service skills in the process.  Start small and work your way up as needed.  Most of the so-called mechanics at dealers are there because they couldn't get a better job elsewhere.  Not exactly confidence inspiring in my opinion.  I know there are exceptions and exceptional dealer service departments, but they sure seem to be few and very far between.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
since I own this bike for 4 years and during that time I rode it for 46k miles (bought it with 6k from my nephew)I took it to the dealer only to program a extra FOB key and for the brake pedal recall and for a TPMS sensor under factory warranty, I performed all the maintenance required , mounting tires etc,i work on cars for living and  do not use to do any side jobs out of my work place, working on my bike is something that enjoy, but this kind of job is something that will do only once, and about to do everything as should be like to put everything back in the same place and torque every single bolt as per specifications is true, hard to find some body how do it, about tools I have most of the tools required to perform any job and if there is a special tool needed I try not to buy it because for only one time  use I prefer to save that money and fabricate the tool, for example the one to hold the SUB CLUTCH HUB that have to be torqued at 100 ft.lb and the one to hold the DAMPER CAM on the front bevel gears at 140 ft,lb
Here are pictures of those

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »

Ok here are the before and after videos
BEFORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL8YJJaf1i0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6cIa0Rslsk
AFTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtRvDifhoGY

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
No more rocks!  :chugbeer:

Offline tomp

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »
YA DONE GOOD, SIR. . .

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »
We appreciate the detail that you've shared with us throughout this ordeal. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
Much better!  :chugbeer:

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2015, 08:56:19 AM »
After one month and twenty days  finally I finished yesterday and be able to ride it, everything come out perfect, while she was apart waiting for parts I did some paint job on the tank due to rust around the filler neck, mirror covers, left side firing and left bag cover
Here are the pictures

Also installed the APE cam chain manual tensioner ( it was an other noise that bother me at cold star )

And here is she ready to ride

sailor_chic

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
Looking all pretty!

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
Ok here are the before and after videos
BEFORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL8YJJaf1i0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6cIa0Rslsk
AFTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtRvDifhoGY

Sounds so much better. Looking nice a crisp with the new paint.
Like your ingenuity with the tool construction. Old clutch disk and a old rear shock adjuster  8)   .
I'd be nervous doing a complete tear down like this. I'd have to get the camcorder out and a pile of disks for the rebuild. Memory is quite as good as it use to be. The forgetting part of my brain is working pretty good though.
Cheers

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
Thanks