Author Topic: Noise on front bevel gears  (Read 33682 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Noise on front bevel gears
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
Oh crap! It looks like your bike exploded and littered parts all over your garage!    :o

Good luck man!!!

Yessir...big job indeed. Good luck with it.

Last bike I split cases on was an 06 Kawi 636 to replace 2nd gear. Not fun...lol.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »
Hey, I would not fault anyone for [not] buying the warranty; normally these bikes are very robust and reliable. In fact, yours is only the third one I know of that had to have the engine taken out / cases split: the first one was internal engine damage while the owner was riding the bike hard (not saying it was his fault, just pointing out the condition when it happened). The second one was down for having spit the teeth off of fourth gear- that took up several tables while waiting for parts. Yours is the third that I have heard of. Best of luck with it.

Brian

Ok things are getting complicated, after removing the drive gear unit found that is ok but apparently the noise is coming from the output shaft bearing, I recorded a video and there can be heard
Now i'm very sorry that I did not bought the extended warranty when I had  the offer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzBjEkUkUk
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »
Our pal Cognosticator, had to have a tranny rebuild also... a few years ago...it was covered with a warranty, but again, it still needed a split down.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Finally I be able to remove the DAMPER CAM nut, I did fabricate the tool to hold it and use a impact gun, in the following pictures you will se the damper cam in place with the nut already removed and in the second one you will se the bearing behind damper cam and you will be able to see the steel balls damage

2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 05:43:15 PM »
Pretty obvious what caused that bearing to fail. ::)

You used it too much when it was new. ;D

Bummer Dude. Glad you found it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
Pretty obvious what caused that bearing to fail. ::)

You used it too much when it was new. ;D

Bummer Dude. Glad you found it.
I asked my self the same question many times but can't find the answer, bike has 52000 miles, I bought it from my nephew with 6500 miles and since that I did all the required maintenance include oil change and filter using synthetic  oil initially using MOTUL STER and after MOBIL ONE, riding it to work during week days 48 miles daily

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 08:20:28 PM »
Tough to tell from the parts diagrams but it looks like that should be internally lubricated by crankcase oil (motor oil). ?? Everything under that engine side cover should be lubed internally. ?

It looks like that shaft is retained by a locking ball from the top, inside and behind that bearing. Any chance of removing the shaft with the engine cases still together?

Notice how I refrained from a whole series of 'Easy Boys!' in everything above, out of respect for this poor gentleman's plight.

The good news is that it looks like your problem may very well be limted to that one bearing, not that that will make getting it out and a new one in easier. At least it does not look expensive, other than labor.

Brian

I asked my self the same question many times but can't find the answer, bike has 52000 miles, I bought it from my nephew with 6500 miles and since that I did all the required maintenance include oil change and filter using synthetic  oil initially using MOTUL STER and after MOBIL ONE, riding it to work during week days 48 miles daily
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »

Probably nothing you did.  Perhaps your nephew let it run low on oil or used some horribly inappropriate oil or didn't change it appropriately early in life causing stress that showed up later?  Maybe it was just bad luck with a single ball manufacturing flaw leading to later failure failure which started messing up the others.  You might never know.  Sometimes it is amazing things last as long as they do.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »

I would say the only way that bearing got cooked was from a substantial loss of oil while running- probably a story your nephew would know but never tell. Maybe the filter got holed or wasn't installed right.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »
Tough to tell from the parts diagrams but it looks like that should be internally lubricated by crankcase oil (motor oil). ?? Everything under that engine side cover should be lubed internally. ?

It looks like that shaft is retained by a locking ball from the top, inside and behind that bearing. Any chance of removing the shaft with the engine cases still together?

Notice how I refrained from a whole series of 'Easy Boys!' in everything above, out of respect for this poor gentleman's plight.

The good news is that it looks like your problem may very well be limted to that one bearing, not that that will make getting it out and a new one in easier. At least it does not look expensive, other than labor.

Brian
Brian, that is correct, it is internally lubricated by crankcase motor oil, the only way to remove that bearing is splitting the engine apart , bearing is hold in place by two engine half ,that bearing cost around $57.00 and the other one at the other end that is a needle bearing is $23.00, one of the most expensive parts is the liquid gasket to seal the two engine half and almost the same price of the big bearing,, total between gaskets bearings and new oil and filter will be expending around $300.00, I wondering how much will be the cost if you have to pay for that job at  the dealer

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 12:29:46 AM »
Probably nothing you did.  Perhaps your nephew let it run low on oil or used some horribly inappropriate oil or didn't change it appropriately early in life causing stress that showed up later?  Maybe it was just bad luck with a single ball manufacturing flaw leading to later failure failure which started messing up the others.  You might never know.  Sometimes it is amazing things last as long as they do.
Maybe it was just bad luck

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 05:00:17 AM »
OK, then the really huge question is what happened to that oil supply? That shaft was lacking oil for a long time, perhaps since new, and the corrosion was not due to any single loss of oil but a chronic lack of oil. Makes me think something is amiss or perhaps even missing internally. Are there oil pipes in the top of the crankcase half to direct oil to the various shafts and bearings? If so, could one be missing, crimped closed or bent so it is not putting oil onto that shaft?

Just a thought but you may want to track down how that transmission is lubricated in the first place and look for flaws in that system or this problem will repeat itself I believe.

Brian

Brian, that is correct, it is internally lubricated by crankcase motor oil....

<snip>

Offline texrider

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 05:50:27 AM »
Flood bike?
2014 Valkyrie

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Did you look at the procedure for pulling that bearing before you compeletly tore the bike down?

I just "glanced" at the FSM, and it appears that bearing can be pulled from the exterior, after removing the bearing retainer plate and the 3screws that hold it on... or maybe I'm missing sumpin here.

Wow, looking a second time, the 2 pages showing this offer zero explanation as to that shaft removal... 9-11 & 9-12

Seeing as those pieces live below the split line, but you still gotta pull the other tranny shaft and shift mech out prior... doesn't look fun.
I surely would not have disassembled my engine outdoors for this job....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
OK, then the really huge question is what happened to that oil supply? That shaft was lacking oil for a long time, perhaps since new, and the corrosion was not due to any single loss of oil but a chronic lack of oil. Makes me think something is amiss or perhaps even missing internally. Are there oil pipes in the top of the crankcase half to direct oil to the various shafts and bearings? If so, could one be missing, crimped closed or bent so it is not putting oil onto that shaft?

Just a thought but you may want to track down how that transmission is lubricated in the first place and look for flaws in that system or this problem will repeat itself I believe.

Brian
Brian, I will find it out when I split the engine apart, here is a diagram of the oil flow and you will see that there is a passage that lubricate the output shaft
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/801820/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Abs.html?term=engine+lubrication&selected=3&page=334#

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
Did you look at the procedure for pulling that bearing before you compeletly tore the bike down?

I just "glanced" at the FSM, and it appears that bearing can be pulled from the exterior, after removing the bearing retainer plate and the 3screws that hold it on... or maybe I'm missing sumpin here.

Wow, looking a second time, the 2 pages showing this offer zero explanation as to that shaft removal... 9-11 & 9-12

Seeing as those pieces live below the split line, but you still gotta pull the other tranny shaft and shift mech out prior... doesn't look fun.
I surely would not have disassembled my engine outdoors for this job....
As you can see in the page that I will post at the bottom, the first picture shows the place where the output shaft goes at and there is a pin that fit in a grove that the bearing has , in top of that that bearing goes in the middle of the two halves so there is no way to pull it out until the engine halves been separated
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/801820/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Abs.html?page=401#manual

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
Yep, you are right. And yours must be plugged in some way, perhaps defective from new? If that proves to be the case, you may want to address that issue with Kawasaki- I do not believe they are legally responsible (but I am not a lawyer), although clearly there is a lack of oil in your port (Easy Boys!- there, I said it!) and if it was due to manufacturing defect(s), they may take a bit of pity on you; after all, that is one nasty fix, labor- wise.

Brian

Brian, I will find it out when I split the engine apart, here is a diagram of the oil flow and you will see that there is a passage that lubricate the output shaft
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/801820/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Abs.html?term=engine+lubrication&selected=3&page=334#

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »
Ok I am back, last weekend did not work on bike because was out of town, finally be able to pull engine down and split it apart, here I have some pictures

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:27:13 AM by gildaguz »

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »
And here I recorded a video of the faulty guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBxgqVOLnsM

Offline tomp

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
A bearing of lost hope.  No help for it.  How long did it take you do get the engine to that state of disassembly?  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...