Author Topic: Modified my saddlebags, not in a good way  (Read 13097 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Modified my saddlebags, not in a good way
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
Some kind of stickers is more like my price range. I've seen a few of my rattle can paint jobs. I better stay with decals.

Matt

I'm in the same boat. I once tried to rattle can an IMS plastic tank for my Suzuki DR650. I thought the Krylon "plastic" paint would work. Not so much.

Offline Silverbullet65

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »
Go to Walmart and buy one or two cans of plasti dip matte black spray paint...$6 a can and peels off if you don't like it....trust me you will love it!
I sprayed my cases matte black with this and they look way better and my bike is silver.
Safety is no accident

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Go to Walmart and buy one or two cans of plasti dip matte black spray paint...$6 a can and peels off if you don't like it....trust me you will love it!
I sprayed my cases matte black with this and they look way better and my bike is silver.

Never tried plasti dip. I imagine you could mask off an area if you just wanted it on a specific place. Or maybe not. Might peel off when the mask is peeled.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4598

I really like that look, and would even do it on my Neutron Silver 08...

I also agree about using the Plasti-Dip, I plan on doing my bike in total black-out this year, just for the helluvit... it's cheap, I got a gun and compressor, and the components are cheap... it allows me to do my rims in black also... I'm pretty psyched about doing it as soon as we have "warmer" weather....

as for immediate fix, I'd just go to Wally-mart, and buy a yard of gloss black Con-Tackt paper, and do a stripe on the bag along the seam, where the damage was... It is removable. Trying to spray match black paint is a guessing game, there are more "shades" of black than you would imagine... when trying to color match some minor scratches on my old Kz1000Ltd, I went thru almost 15 different bottles of "black", and still never got a perfect match...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
After looking over the thread Maxtog linked to, the bed liner stuff doesn't look that bad. Actually looks pretty good and will help cover my shoe scuffs as well. How is the canned bed liner stuff to spray? I pretty much suck at spray painting so need this to be as easy as possible.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 05:17:23 PM »
Trying to spray match black paint is a guessing game, there are more "shades" of black than you would imagine... when trying to color match some minor scratches on my old Kz1000Ltd, I went thru almost 15 different bottles of "black", and still never got a perfect match...

It is amazing how difficult it is to match just about ANY paint color.  The human eye is very good at spotting even slight variations.  Add to that glossiness, reflectivity, metallic effects, viewing angles, etc, etc and it is a big, irritating mess.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
I've painted bikes with the bed liner spray. I like it. FWIW, I prefer the Rustoleum brand. It seems to be the most consistent and has a tighter "wrinkle" than some of the others.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
I've painted bikes with the bed liner spray. I like it. FWIW, I prefer the Rustoleum brand. It seems to be the most consistent and has a tighter "wrinkle" than some of the others.

Does this stuff need all the same surface prep as regular paint? Does it want to run like regular paint? I'm thinking about doing this to cover my scuffs but would hate to end up with a fugly mess that's worse than the scuffs I have now.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
It does require some prep but nothing like regular paint. I did some sanding with 220 to get the big scars out then hit it with 320, wiped it down with lacquer thinner and shot it. Pretty painless
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
How does it hold up to your heal hitting the right bag when throwing a leg over? Mine is permanently scuffed from my foot hitting it a 1000 times over the last 55,000 miles.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
I didn't do it to my C14, I did it to other bikes

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
How does it hold up to your heal hitting the right bag when throwing a leg over? Mine is permanently scuffed from my foot hitting it a 1000 times over the last 55,000 miles.

This is why I always face the seat and lift my leg up and over and THEN turn to face the front.  My boots never pass over the bags, and I have zero scuffs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »
This is why I always face the seat and lift my leg up and over and THEN turn to face the front.  My boots never pass over the bags, and I have zero scuffs.

+1
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
I'll have to try that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 05:02:55 PM »
My leg doesn't move enough to get on like that. I usually step on the peg and swing my leg over the bags. Usually miss the bags.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
My leg doesn't move enough to get on like that. I usually step on the peg and swing my leg over the bags. Usually miss the bags.

I will admit that because I have short legs, I am more flexible that way than most people.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »

Matt

Me neither, I have zero flexibility. What I do now is mount it like horse. Left foot on the peg then leg over. I hit the right bag less often now but still do it now and then.

elp_jc

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »
My leg doesn't move enough to get on like that.
Mine neither. But I simply grab the inseam of my pants and safely cross the foot over the seat without touching anything. Zero seat or bag scuffs that way ;). Plus with a seatbag permanently on my bike, couldn't swing a leg over the seat/bags even if I was somewhat flexible (short of a dancer being able to do the full split. Ha ha ). I wouldn't stand on a peg (horse-style) unless bike is on centerstand. Giving your leg a 'hand' to cross over is the easiest and safest strategy IMO. Hope this helps somebody.