Author Topic: Dollar Shave Club  (Read 10029 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Dollar Shave Club
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Anybody ever buy from Dollarshaveclub.com?

Or do you know somebody that has?...Friend, brother, co-worker, girlfriend with a goatee??...LOL>

Or have you ever bought razors in bulk from Dorco? As I understand it, this is where the DollarShaveClub.com razors come from.

Any comments or experience, good or bad?

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Dollar Shave Club
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
I use this and don't buy replacement blades anymore...

https://www.thegrommet.com/blade-buddy-razor-blade-sharpener-black

Seems to work pretty well for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »
That looks pretty cool.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
Bought a Braun a few decades ago and never looked back.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
Are you sure?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MichiGlenn

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 06:12:57 PM »
I've used dollar shave club for a year or so. Can't complain. Their cheapest has a flimsy feel to it but shaves well. I use the four blade one and like the feel better. Haven't tried the deluxe 6(?) blade one because I don't see the point of it.
2001 Concours
1977 Honda CB750K (sold)
1978 Honda CB750k (long gone)
1972 Honda CL175 (a fond memory)

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
I use this and don't buy replacement blades anymore...

https://www.thegrommet.com/blade-buddy-razor-blade-sharpener-black

Seems to work pretty well for me.

I do pretty much the same thing, except I run my blades "backwards" about a dozen times across my forearm or thigh after every shave.  Once a week, I run it backwards across an old leather belt (strop), again about a dozen times.  Blades stay sharp and I never get nicked.  The only drawback is the lubricating strip is gone.  I change blades after 3 months just because, but could probably go forever.  I bought a bunch of Mach 3 disposables a few years ago when they were on sale cheap and with coupons, paid next to nothing for them - a lot cheaper and the same blades as the non-disposable blades.  You can pop the blades off the cheap disposable handle and use them on the non-disposable handles (I prefer the heavier non-disposable handles).

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »
I almost responded that I had joined this club but then I realized it was the wrong one- I joined the $10,000 dollarshaveclub  :-(  If I 'save' any more money wet shaving, I will not be able to afford gasoline for the bike.

And I want full credit for NOT respond to the girlfriend with the goatee remark.  (!!!) I have two jokes and seven thousand comments about that and will still proverbially turn and walk away.    :rotflmao:

Brian

Anybody ever buy from Dollarshaveclub.com?

Or do you know somebody that has?...Friend, brother, co-worker, girlfriend with a goatee??...LOL>

Or have you ever bought razors in bulk from Dorco? As I understand it, this is where the DollarShaveClub.com razors come from.

Any comments or experience, good or bad?

Rem
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »
....... never mind. I digress.  (Put the possibilities are endles) 
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »
Why do they always put the lubricating strips on the back side of theblade? Shouldnt they be in front of the blade?
I heard of an outfit that cryogenically freezes razor blades. A disposable will last for a year.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:54 PM »
I haven't shaved since 1988. I must have saved a small fortune. I wonder what I spent it on
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:38:01 AM »
I haven't shaved since 1988. I must have saved a small fortune. I wonder what I spent it on
Wine, women and song?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:02 AM »
I mostly use an electric shaver but I use the razor about once a week.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »
Wine, women and song?

Probably.  I think I may have wasted the rest.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 08:57:55 AM »

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
And I want full credit for NOT respond to the girlfriend with the goatee remark.  (!!!) I have two jokes and seven thousand comments about that and will still proverbially turn and walk away.    :rotflmao:

Hahaha....I suppose I should have been more careful with my words huh?...lol.

The goatee has nicknames I can't repeat on here...so I'll just stick with goatee...lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna try the Dorco razors soon...I think.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 05:46:02 AM »
The dollar shave club is a good idea, but the blades and razor I saw from them were made in China, deal breaker for me, as with anything, I pay a bit more, $5.00 for blades made either in Japan or Germany. My razor was also made in Germany and its a almost a work of art.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 06:32:36 AM »
Sideways ONTOPIC (kinda'): probably the easiest way to save money is to pick up a real, old skool, double edge safety razor, new or vintage. The cheap ones being hawked all over the place (TV ads, they are in WarMart, on-line, etc., etc.) are actually getting very good reviews. Then buy blades; the best value I have found are Gillette 7'O'clock green or yellow packaged blades, made in Russia, about $18 per 100 delivered. Two sides to each blade, so that is a lot of edges for $18 The very best blades I have found are Feathers made in Japan but they are closer to $30 / 100. Still, two shaving edges for $0.30 is not bad and the blades are truly amazing.

There is another new group out there selling handles and cartridges for something like $1 or $2 per cartridge.

The cost to produce vs. the cost to buy of modern cartridges is either ridiculous or outstanding, depending on which side of the fence you are on (consumer or manufacturer). The first time I saw shaving cartridges locked up in anti- theft electronic boxes: first I laughed then I looked at the price and about fell down in the aisle.

Brian

The dollar shave club is a good idea, but the blades and razor I saw from them were made in China, deal breaker for me, as with anything, I pay a bit more, $5.00 for blades made either in Japan or Germany. My razor was also made in Germany and its a almost a work of art.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »
I started last year with the 7 O'Clocks and now use the Feathers exclusively.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
I probably use the same razor for a year or so.  I shave immediately after a shower.  I use some triple whatever razor from Gillette.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077