Author Topic: Will a 2015 OEM windscreen fit older models?  (Read 4163 times)

voileauciel

Will a 2015 OEM windscreen fit older models?
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »
Hi!

I tried asking a dealer this question and they refused to answer, claiming liability prevented them from recommending a newer part on an older model year bike. I like the look of the new vented screen and wanted to try one out on my 2012, but I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same.

Anyone have a 2015 windscreen they don't want/need? I'd happily buy it off you. PM me and we can work out a deal.  :D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Will a 2015 OEM windscreen fit older models?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »

Yes

I tried asking a dealer this question and they refused to answer, claiming liability prevented them from recommending a newer part on an older model year bike. I like the look of the new vented screen and wanted to try one out on my 2012, but I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same.

From what info has been gathered, yes, it will fit.

Anyone have a 2015 windscreen they don't want/need? I'd happily buy it off you. PM me and we can work out a deal.  :D

I think there might be one 2015 owner on the forum?  I don't think you are going to have much response to that request :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:41 AM »
Anyone have a 2015 windscreen they don't want/need? I'd happily buy it off you. PM me and we can work out a deal. :D
That could be me, but Patrick from CopperDawg hasn't even sent me a sample to check color matching on my green bike, so it'll be a while. If his 'sport screen' is what he promised it to be, I wouldn't have use for the stocker anymore... but will have to try it to know. The good news is I can't use the bike due to my leukemia, so it's still sitting with 50 miles on the clock, with the screen like new. But have to say it's not perfectly clear; all screens in my mew bikes have had some swirling that it's unnoticeable while riding, but there, so you know. They could be buffed out, I guess, but have never tried it; cleaning the shield would put them back on IMO, as careful as you might be. Have a great week ahead folks.

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Just aside from suspension. How are you liking the new screen with the vent?
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »
Thanks for the info.

+1 Good question.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.

He has a 2015, so he has never driven one without the vent.... not much to compare to.  Well, I guess he can compare it riding with it open vs. closed.  I would be somewhat concerned that all that additional weight will make it more wobbly and such.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
How are you liking the new screen with the vent?
I've only ridden with it in the lowest position, and opening and closing it made no difference whatsoever. Guess it's only effective while the screen is raised. The bad news is you need to get off the bike to open it, which is just stupid. And you need both hands or risk breaking the plastic. Tried just pushing the tab, and it made ugly noises. Had to push it out (screen needs to be raised) with my hands, while standing from the side. Keep in mind the screen fully retracts when ignition is turned off, so engine has to be running, OR you need to press the screen switch immediately after turning ignition off to stop the auto-retract feature. Hope this helps.

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
elp_jc

Sorry to hear you are having health problems.

Thanks for the info on the screen, sounds very cumbersome system. The idea would be to change the vent whilst riding to fine tune the buffeting.!!!?? (And wind flow)

elp_jc

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
The idea would be to change the vent whilst riding to fine tune the buffeting.
Indeed. And I'm used to stand on the pegs, and extend forward to raise/lower the manual screen of my departed BMW K1200RS. No way in hell you can SAFELY open the vent while riding on this bike. Not even close to reaching it. Even the stock screen lowered completely, it's too much coverage for me since it still too noisy even with earplugs, so waiting for CopperDawg to get the new green paint so I can order one. And will probably put the 2015 screen for sale. Definitely not worth the $700+ it'd cost to order directly from Kawasaki IMO.

And thank you for the good wishes. I'm hanging in there. This leukemia is highly treatable indeed... provided you make it to the end of the treatment. THAT is the challenge, when your immune system is down to zero, catching all kinds of infections and crap. I've been lucky so far, and not taking any chances by staying home, but have a long way to go before my blood count can get better... if it does. Should know in about 2 months. Always very positive, happy, and will never stop fighting no matter what happens, so not really worried about the future. But hope I'm one of the ones who make it at the end :). Take care.

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
Ouch, a tough few months ahead. Sounds like you have good attitude.

It's good to have the forum to keep being involved, whilst not been able to ride.

Hang in there. :)

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
I'm hanging in there. This leukemia is highly treatable indeed... provided you make it to the end of the treatment.

hang in there, brother. prayers for you so you can get out there and ride the wind with that awesome bike.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:23:11 AM by maxtog »