Author Topic: Time for brake fluid flush- what is the best brake fluid?  (Read 23243 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Time for brake fluid flush- what is the best brake fluid?
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 03:40:12 AM »
There are so many comments I have all at once, they are crashing into each other in my brain. I simply cannot select my favorite so I will not respond. Other than to say I hope you 'rig' heals up and ten minutes is a lot of 'pumping frenzy', at least from what I have heard.

But as far as the hydraulics on a C-14 goes, you will have more time to firm up your lever at your leisure if you just buy a power bleeder in the first place.

Brian
Even the name on the bottle..... :rotflmao:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2015, 03:42:30 AM »
this is why I drop by once a week instead of once a day since a couple of months.
I think it's kind of handy to have an autosearch function.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:45 AM »
What's not to like?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2015, 05:40:54 AM »
10 minutes, wow!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 05:45:07 AM »
Couldn't do that.  My hand (easy boys) would have died at 30 seconds and I would have died from boredom.  A word of advice, never ever ever let the master cylinders get empty whilst bleeding the brakes and if you are bleeding the clutch, about half way down in the master cylinder is all that I let it get down to before I add more.

I changed my hydraulic fluids toady after reading this thread. It had been 22 months since the last change. Went pretty smoothly with my Motion Pro bleeder but extra work was involved as I had to remove the ZSteves heat shield as it was blocking access to the clutch slave bleeder valve. I also had some black powdery residue in the bottom of the clutch res and a little in the brake res. I drained the bowls and wiped it out. After that I couldn't get "traction" from the brake lever, the lever would not firm up and no fluid would move. I didn't think wiping the bowl dry with a paper towel would let air in but apparently I was wrong. I noticed tiny bubbles coming from the bowl orifice as I pumped, so I engaged in a pumping frenzy and more and more bubbles came out and after about ten minutes of this the lever firmed up rock solid.
Here's my bleeding rig:

This does not surprise us.... :rotflmao:

this is why I drop by once a week instead of once a day since a couple of months.

I'm here uncountable times every day.   I think I'm  :censored: :loco: :nuts: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 05:46:10 AM »

Yeah, it is probably painful seeing someone spend 10 minutes searching through threads to find things to help someone else.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 08:47:03 AM »
I have not found it to work on this bike. Nor any of the other conventional methods. And the hand pumps (Easy Lather!) will not pull and hold (Easy!) a vacuum for long enough to do it either.

Bleeding any of the three hydraulic systems on this bike proved to be exasperating for me. It will work but only mostly and then after a fair amount of torture. What you have left is soft brakes, a variable clutch and in general, lousy hydraulics due to the small amounts of air that I, and quite a few other people going by the posts, could just not get out of the systems. So I am not saying manual bleeding of the hyd. systems can not be done, just that it can not be done well enough to leave the brakes and clutch 100% functional..... like they were when the bike was new. A power bleeder easily and quickly gets all systems to 100%, every time.

But I got to say that Bob (Lather) has me re-thinking all of this. I mean 10 minutes of furious pumping? Lots of bubbles, left things hard at the end? What's not to like about all of that? By comparison, the power bleeder is downright boring. :o

Brian

So, Brian, please educate me. Since I have yet to change my brake fluid, am I wrong in assuming that one can simply gravity bleed the calipers like you can on the American made relics I had?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »
Is 'adequate" your standard for brake performance?

It's my standard for everything.

Not that I was the one being asked of course..just sayin'.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
I understand what Brian is saying but my first experience bleeding the brakes and the clutch on my C14 using the MP bleeder went without a hitch and I had very good brake and clutch feel, hard all the way around.   ;)

On my second attempt the brakes went perfectly again but not so the clutch!

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18451.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:05 AM »
Me too- adequate should always be good enough. Though I find it is tough to find anniversary cards with that word anywhere on them....?

You know, something like "To my darling wife and so many years of adequate marriage."  Yep, that would be the word I would choose first.

:rotflmao:

Brian

It's my standard for everything.

Not that I was the one being asked of course..just sayin'.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
Me too- adequate should always be good enough. Though I find it is tough to find anniversary cards with that word anywhere on them....?

You know, something like "To my darling wife and so many years of adequate marriage."  Yep, that would be the word I would choose first.

:rotflmao:

Brian

Bread and water might be adequate for dinner that night and in the weeks to come. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
Me too- adequate should always be good enough.

LOL...every single time I hear that something is adequate, I can't help but think of News radio. Phil Hartman was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOxpuKXhlss
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2015, 10:42:04 AM »
Adequate is NOT what I strive for, however, it beats the  :censored: out of inadequate.

In addition, it's all a perception issue. I find the performance of the C14 to be exceptional, a Moto GP pilot such as Mr. Rossi probably has higher expectations for his motorcycle. 

Everything in excess, moderation is for Monks.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
LOL...every single time I hear that something is adequate, I can't help but think of News radio. Phil Hartman was awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOxpuKXhlss
HEH Heh heh  ;D ..he said adequatulence;D

Adequate ... however, it beats the  :censored: out of inadequate.

In addition, it's all a perception issue.

..and thus my earlier response;)