Author Topic: Time for brake fluid flush- what is the best brake fluid?  (Read 23244 times)

Offline katata1100

Time for brake fluid flush- what is the best brake fluid?
« on: February 07, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
My C14 is almost four years old with original brake fluid, so a flush is way over do.
What is the best fluid I can get? When I say best, I am talking about DOT 4 with the highest wet and dry boiling points.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Time for brake fluid flush- what is the best brake fluid?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
I use genuine Kwackers brake fluid.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:18:48 AM »
Four years? Get on it man and don't forget the clutch. Be VERY careful with the clutch so that you don't get any air in the system, you'll be sorry if you do.

I've been using this with good results.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:03:35 AM »
Four years? Get on it man and don't forget the clutch.

Meh- mine is almost 4 years old now and I haven't done anything with the brakes or clutch either.   Nor the coolant, spark plugs (their schedule is beyond silly), or vacuum sync.

I think maintenance wise the only thing I have done is tires, adjust the throttle play, replace the engine oil/filter twice, and the final drive oil once.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:07:20 AM »
Meh- mine is almost 4 years old now and I haven't done anything with the brakes or clutch either.   Nor the coolant, spark plugs (their schedule is beyond silly), or vacuum sync.

I think maintenance wise the only thing I have done is tires, adjust the throttle play, replace the engine oil/filter twice, and the final drive oil once.

What color is the fluid in the reservoirs?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:59:39 AM »

I'm on the same maintenance schedule as you are :thumbs: Served me well on all of my bikes that I've owned over the last 30yrs. If it ain't broke.......I've learned that in the long run it only makes a difference to your wallet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:56:17 AM by maxtog »
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »
I'm sure that you all know by now that brake fluid is hygroscopic right? So it's really not a good practice to leave the old fluid unchanged for too long.

Brake fluid is cheap so I doubt that it's going to hurt your wallet much. 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
The same goes for coolant.
That being said, my 2010 Connie has the original coolant and brake fluids in her since new. I'll get around to swapping them out before Spring I suppose. I might even do it today. I'd say about a 5% chance. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »
What color is the fluid in the reservoirs?

I have no idea!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
I'm sure that you all know by now that brake fluid is hygroscopic right? So it's really not a good practice to leave the old fluid unchanged for too long.

Brake fluid is cheap so I doubt that it's going to hurt your wallet much.

Yeah, but I keep reading all the stories about how hard it is to change.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »
Yeah, but I keep reading all the stories about how hard it is to change.

Bleeding the front and rear brakes is VERY easy, at least it was for me the two times that I did it. I used a Motion Pro bleeder valve, worked like a charm. The clutch on the other hand wasn't so easy, at least not the second time I did it.    :o

Offline katata1100

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
The valvoline stuff, like the rest of the stuff on the store shelf has a dry boiling point of 480, wet 311.  The best I have found since starting this thread is Redline Brake fluid, which has dry point of 604 and 400 wet point. They claim this:
"Blendable with DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 fluids, RL-600 increases ABS cycle times for more responsive and consistent pedal feel".
As soon as brake fluid is put into the brake system, it absorbs water. Apply the brakes hard and some of that water will boil. The rider compensates by squeezing more on the lever. It is very possible to get to the point where squeezing more does...nothing! Also, the water is corrosive. In time, that Dot 4 fluid will turn (ie; have the same performance) as a DOT 3 fluid, and continue to spiral down. By starting with a higher performing fluid, I hope to be able to go longer with out a change (four years though, is too long).
Brake fluid is one of those things that you don't notice until you change it then you notice a big difference. In every vehicle that I have changed brake fluid, the brakes felt better, before, felt like a wood stick.  The fluid in my daughters Toyota looked like an old urine sample and the brakes had an on/off feel before the change.
For those who have ancient brake fluid, I strongly suggest changing. You will notice that it takes less effort on the lever, better feel/progression. I just put on a new pr4 on the front and have some DP pads coming tomorrow. I want my bike to be tip top for spring/summer

elp_jc

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
As Conrad said, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs moisture. And it needs to be replaced every 2 years TOPS, and that's regardless of mileage folks. Brake fluid is so cheap and easy to change that neglecting it could render your brakes useless when you might need them the most. The water in the fluid rusts your expensive brake components, especially on ABS-equipped bikes. Not only that costs thousands of dollars to replace. But the most important factor is YOUR SAFETY (and maybe others'). Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity; take it seriously, and don't neglect your #1 safety feature: your brakes ;). Have a good one.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
Thanks for the warnings.  I will add brake fluid replacement (possibly also clutch) to my Spring to-do list for sure.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
It looks like the Redline is the fluid to go with. There are a few fluids with marginally higher (maybe a couple of degrees) of boiling point (like Stoptech), but they are almost double the cost of Redline (which I think is a lot).
A 16oz bottle of Redline will cost $17 delivered ground (from Jegs, best deal). I think (hope) that two bottles might be enough for the C14.  That's $32 vs about $10 for the stuff at Autozone (read the labels, all the dot 4 stuff has the same specs whether it be Valvoline, Castrol, or whatever.
For those who never change brake fluid, uh, it is "broke"! Swap it out with new fluid and you be amazed how much better the brakes are, honest. My fluid is 4 years old, two years overdue in being flushed out. You don't have to race to notice it.Load up the bike with all my stuff for a long road trip and all it takes a couple of hard stops to get the fluid boiling.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
Thanks for the warnings.  I will add brake fluid replacement (possibly also clutch) to my Spring to-do list for sure.

:popcorn: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

go to autozone, buy a bottle of DOT compatible brake fluid for $4, and change it.... and change it regularly... or, you can send me $79.95, plus shipping and handling ( a mere $27.49, s&h per 4 oz bottle), and I will send you the bestest.... now, you'll need 4 bottles, so get out the calculator... and do it times 4... including shipping (and don't forget your hazmat fees....per bottle....)

or just buy a Quart at the Zone, and get it done..... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) 8) ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:31:21 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
It looks like the Redline is the fluid to go with. There are a few fluids with marginally higher (maybe a couple of degrees) of boiling point (like Stoptech), but they are almost double the cost of Redline (which I think is a lot).
A 16oz bottle of Redline will cost $17 delivered ground (from Jegs, best deal). .....You don't have to race to notice it.Load up the bike with all my stuff for a long road trip and all it takes a couple of hard stops to get the fluid boiling.

really?, dam, I was taking my life in my hands while hauling a harbor freight trailer, about 300# load, behind my C14, from Lake Erie, down to Johnson City to the NR this year, at times doing triple digits?  I gotta be more careful....

I've only boiled brake fluid once.... when my rear brake locked up because of the lack of my recall being done, and a pebble locking my rear brake ON for  7 mile high speed jaunt, before I said "sumpin's wrong..." and truley it took 7 miles... before the disc was glowing, no pads, and "damage" was done...

no big dealeo, kaw replaced it all.... but ANY Dot fluid rated 3/4 or 4, is adequate... and will never boil.... you really gotta hold the levers down continually to accomplish that.  Boil that is... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »

really?, dam, I was taking my life in my hands while hauling a harbor freight trailer, about 300# load, behind my C14, from Lake Erie, down to Johnson City to the NR this year, at times doing triple digits?  I gotta be more careful....

I've only boiled brake fluid once.... when my rear brake locked up because of the lack of my recall being done, and a pebble locking my rear brake ON for  7 mile high speed jaunt, before I said "sumpin's wrong..." and truley it took 7 miles... before the disc was glowing, no pads, and "damage" was done...

no big dealeo, kaw replaced it all.... but ANY Dot fluid rated 3/4 or 4, is adequate... and will never boil.... you really gotta hold the levers down continually to accomplish that.  Boil that is... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

What's your point?
Also, you say "but ANY Dot fluid rated 3/4 or 4, is adequate".
Is 'adequate" your standard for brake performance? And, while any DOT 4 fluid is fine for the C14, the bigger question is : for how long? That DOT 4 fluid that might be four years old is more like a DOT 2 fluid.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »

:popcorn: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

go to autozone, buy a bottle of DOT compatible brake fluid for $4, and change it.... and change it regularly... or, you can send me $79.95, plus shipping and handling ( a mere $27.49, s&h per 4 oz bottle), and I will send you the bestest.... now, you'll need 4 bottles, so get out the calculator... and do it times 4... including shipping (and don't forget your hazmat fees....per bottle....)

or just buy a Quart at the Zone, and bet it done..... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) 8) ;)

+1, same stuff works GREAT in track bikes too, and believe me we heat some brake fluid out there
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine