Author Topic: 2015 C14 Chat/Changes  (Read 10907 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2015 C14 Review links...
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:47 AM »
There was mention elsewhere of a possible catalytic change and also ECU programming related to at least the first gear change, but also possibly emissions.  So far I haven't seen anything definitive about it, so it still seems more like a rumor.  My concern is, while *nobody* cares about some possible internal catalytic change (talk about meaningless), a change to the ECU programming could greatly affect compatibility with the Guhl flash and maybe also a [non-autotuning] PCV.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
...a change to the ECU programming could greatly affect compatibility with the Guhl flash and maybe also a [non-autotuning] PCV.

I don't think it would greatly effect anything. Outside of the STP map changes in the Guhl ECU reflash, the changes in fueling were very minimal, so to make a Guhl ECU flash work on a 2015 with a slightly changed FI ECU wouldn't be any more work than simply copying and pasting.

As far as a PCV is concerned, it shouldn't effect anything at all. The PCV doesn't care what is in the ECU...it only modifies the signal between the ECU and the throttlebody assembly, nothing more.

I'd bet the FI ECU changes have more to do with the new linked braking action than first gear improvements...but that's just my own guesstimate;).

Rem :o

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 08:07:47 AM »
I don't think it would greatly effect anything. Outside of the STP map changes in the Guhl ECU reflash, the changes in fueling were very minimal, so to make a Guhl ECU flash work on a 2015 with a slightly changed FI ECU wouldn't be any more work than simply copying and pasting. As far as a PCV is concerned, it shouldn't effect anything at all. The PCV doesn't care what is in the ECU...it only modifies the signal between the ECU and the throttlebody assembly, nothing more.

OK, that is good news, then, as long as Kawasaki hasn't played anything tricky on us.  I had thoughts of "as long as we are in here messing around, might as well change the DRM/passwords/etc, which could make things a pain for Guhl.  Seems like a low probability, though.

I'd bet the FI ECU changes have more to do with the new linked braking action than first gear improvements...but that's just my own guesstimate;).  Rem :o

I think your guesstimate is pretty dern good.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »
Too bad they didn't fix the high beam indicator (make it dimmer). WHen using the high beams, that things is like a blue laser, burning into my eye.

I detailed my fix for that excessively bright high beam indicator way back in 2009 on the original forum before they erased it and all the tech stuff that was posted. (Supposedly to prevent a big legal battle)
I'll look around for my original instructions on the fix.  There is a very specific value resistor you need to add to the back side of your dash panel. Pretty easy fix.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 03:30:21 PM »
We would be most grateful..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »
We would be most grateful..

Sorry Jim,
  The text is gone and I have no notes on the size of the resistor.  The indicator is an LED and I 'believe' the resistor is something very low, like 56 Ohms installed inline with the
Red supply wire at position #1 of the indicator/Display connector as described on page 16-104 of the hard copy 2010 Service manual.
  I'll remove the heat-shrink tubing from my resistor if I'm ever back in that area. I had to try several different values to get the indicator dimmed but not off.  As it is, my indicator is visible in daylight but not blinding at night. Mine is on a lot since I have the headlamp modulators installed. 
I will add a picture here:

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
Thanks, Mick.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2015 C14 Chat/Changes
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2015, 07:32:41 AM »
I have split off the stuff not about 2015 reviews into this thread.  The other/original thread is here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18571.0

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2015 C14 Chat/Changes
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »
As supplied by fartymarty, the only change in gears (all else is the same, including final drive):

2008-2014 1st gear = 3.333 (50/15)
2015 1st gear = 3.538 (46/13)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:48:44 AM by maxtog »