Author Topic: What is the most comfortable tire?  (Read 33195 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What is the most comfortable tire?
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2015, 05:00:34 AM »
Damn pink, ya beat me to it.  I was wondering if there were pics of him mounting it.... tp

That's probably something better imagined than seen...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tomp

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
You're probably right.  There's already enough strange things on the interweb...  tp
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:52:38 PM by tomp »
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:34 AM »
+1.    I ain't got  money to burn but but I am getting too old to bust my  :censored:  for $20.

I hear ya, but I don't do it to save money. I do it because its more convenient. I don't like riding to the dealer, leaving the bike, having someone pick me up. And then having someone drop me off again to pick the bike up. I could just take the wheels in but, with a NoMar machine, taking the wheels off the bike is half the battle. Faster and easier just to do it myself. I've never done a GT tire but once the wheel is off the bike I can do a tire in about 10 minutes or less. Way less time than riding the 30 min to my closest dealer and back, twice.

Offline RickC14

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
+1.    I ain't got  money to burn but but I am getting too old to bust my  :censored:  for $20.

Ha ha! I just spent a grand on a Nomar with all the goodies so that I could bust my :censored:  changing and balancing my own tires. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
Ha ha! I just spent a grand on a Nomar with all the goodies so that I could bust my :censored:  changing and balancing my own tires.

I got mine loaded with all the accessories on this forum for $750 (Thank you Don!). Not going to save me a dime but I love it anyway.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2015, 10:35:47 AM »
I got mine loaded with all the accessories on this forum for $750 (Thank you Don!). Not going to save me a dime but I love it anyway.
I hear ya, but I don't do it to save money. I do it because its more convenient. I don't like riding to the dealer, leaving the bike, having someone pick me up. And then having someone drop me off again to pick the bike up. I could just take the wheels in but, with a NoMar machine, taking the wheels off the bike is half the battle. Faster and easier just to do it myself. I've never done a GT tire but once the wheel is off the bike I can do a tire in about 10 minutes or less. Way less time than riding the 30 min to my closest dealer and back, twice.

If that's what you want to do, I think you should. I hope to only go through 1 or 2 tires a year on this bike. I'll be thrilled if I get the kind of mileage out of the PR4 GT's that I hear about. (12,000 plus) After 8k religiously on Metzlers with my last bike 12k is sounding good.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:09 PM »
If that's what you want to do, I think you should. I hope to only go through 1 or 2 tires a year on this bike. I'll be thrilled if I get the kind of mileage out of the PR4 GT's that I hear about. (12,000 plus) After 8k religiously on Metzlers with my last bike 12k is sounding good.

I have 2 bikes, my son has 3 bikes and my brother has 2 bikes. I do all those bikes plus I've done a couple for friends.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
I have 2 bikes, my son has 3 bikes and my brother has 2 bikes. I do all those bikes plus I've done a couple for friends.

:yikes:  In that case, an automated machine may be in order!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »
But the BMW R1200RT which weighs *100 pounds LESS* than the Concours comes with PR4-GT now from the factory.
I owned a 2014, but let BMW buy it back due to the ESA recall. You know the reason why they come with GT tires? Because it has a whopping 450 lbs of cargo capacity, having a GVWR higher than the Connie. And most BMW RT owners typically ride fully-loaded at least half the time, according to their own statistics. Riding solo and being a light rider, there's absolutely no reason for GT tires (well within their load rating). But there's no harm either. In my personal case, being that light, the suspension is already pretty darn stiff, don't want to add a brick of a tire to that ;). Plus more expensive, harder to remove/install, and no wear advantage without a heavy load.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
I'm in the market for new PR's again. Going to try the std. PR4's instead of GT because I was told they would be a more compliant and comfortable ride than the stiffer GT sidewalls. Has anyone tried Dyna Beads for balancing? The shop is twisting my arm on this new method, plus it eliminates the nasty stick-on weights. Anyone?

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
For me, I'm not ok with having the beads in there with tire pressure sensors.   

Actually, when I was playing with my balancer, I threw one out by 2oz., on purpose. Out front. I did not notice it and took the bike up to 120 just to be sure.

I think the beads get  a lot of undeserved credit just because they dont hurt anything. But, they wont be goign in my wheels, ever.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
I picked up my new red color 2014 Connie yesterday, with a pair of new PR4's set at 42PSI fore and aft.  After putting, a little over a hundred miles on them. A very comfortable tire set.  Also, I'm grinning like a "Cheshire Cat", too. Nuff said!
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »
I picked up my new red color 2014 Connie yesterday, with a pair of new PR4's set at 42PSI fore and aft.  After putting, a little over a hundred miles on them. A very comfortable tire set.  Also, I'm grinning like a "Cheshire Cat", too. Nuff said!
nice,I ordered a set of pr4 gt for my 2012 connie should be here tomorrow.now all I have to do is wait for the ice to melt to get her out of the garage.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
Good tyres I like them on mine. Had to drive over a 30meter stretch of ice in my alley to get to the street today. They gripped better then my boots did, bike didn't slide but my boots did when I walked it first.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2015, 07:33:58 AM »
For me, I'm not ok with having the beads in there with tire pressure sensors.   

Actually, when I was playing with my balancer, I threw one out by 2oz., on purpose. Out front. I did not notice it and took the bike up to 120 just to be sure.

I think the beads get  a lot of undeserved credit just because they dont hurt anything. But, they wont be goign in my wheels, ever.

My last tire change I had forgotten my Marc Parns balancer and put the new PR4's on without balancing. I can't feel any vibrations until over 100. Either I just got lucky with the new tires or it just doesn't make that much difference at or below normal speed limits. Maybe a little of both. I'll still balance the tires when I get a chance but I have the same question about the beads. Do they really work or does just not make that much difference below 100?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
Here's what happens when you use dynabeads...

http://youtu.be/36WEn-9zs1U
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
I hate it when that happens
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »
These tires look reasonably comfortable:

Offline tomp

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
These tires look reasonably comfortable:

+1 on that.   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.