Author Topic: How much should I leave for a tip and the new math...  (Read 7732 times)

Offline Conrad

How much should I leave for a tip and the new math...
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:14:18 AM »
We went out to Longhorn Steak House for dinner last night with some friends. Good meal, good service, and good drinks.

The bill came and I look it over. Total for the two of us, including tax, is $77.72. Everything is right and I glance down at the bottom at the 'suggested' tip amounts. 

"Suggested tips amounts are based on total including any tax."

20% - $17.54
18% - $15.79
15% - $13.16

Say what?  :o 

I left $15.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: How much should I leave for a tip and the new math...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:22:47 AM »
Other than the computer generated math error  :o, what the hell are they including the tax as a tippable charge for? I would have asked for the manager and the server to my table for an explanation and in turn explained to concept of 'theft by deception' to them. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:40:35 AM »
I don't include tax on the amount to tip on.  Never have, never will.  I start at around 20% and go down from there depending on the service.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »
I don't include tax on the amount to tip on.  Never have, never will.  I start at around 20% and go down from there depending on the service.

Whip out your calculator and check those amounts above, Jim. Even if you, incorrectly, include the tax in your calculation those amounts are wrong.

I didn't want to raise a stink about this in front of my wife and friends while we were at the restaurant (I'm famous for doing this already) but you can be sure that I'll let Longhorn know about this via the survey they'd like me to take online.   

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:02:03 AM »
You didn't say anything about having to do math this early in the morning..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »
Did you keep a copy of the receipt?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »
Did you keep a copy of the receipt?

Yep, I have it sitting right here in front of me.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 07:13:44 AM »
I wonder if the Steak House has a facebook page that could be posted to. Not that I'd know how.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
but for chain food steak, the joint is acceptable   ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 07:58:15 AM »
Interesting. I agree with you Gary generally but in this case, it seems that more and more people are either 1) not leaving a tip or 2) leaving a totally inappropriate tip. So perhaps Longhorn is including that 'helpful' little crib note as a nudge to people who I guess have no idea of how things are supposed to work.

As far as the tip, sounds right to me Conrad. 20% is what I shoot for and it is easy enough to zone in on.

Brian

Other than the computer generated math error  :o, what the hell are they including the tax as a tippable charge for? I would have asked for the manager and the server to my table for an explanation and in turn explained to concept of 'theft by deception' to them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »
This has got to be deliberate. Those number are coming from a computer. I would not take it out on the waiter and would have left a 20% tip like you did (assuming the service was good) but would have mentioned it to the manager. What's up with your badly programmed point of sale system?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
The bill came and I look it over. Total for the two of us, including tax, is $77.72. Everything is right and I glance down at the bottom at the 'suggested' tip amounts. 

"Suggested tips amounts are based on total including any tax."
20% - $17.54 = 22.56%
18% - $15.79 = 20.31%
15% - $13.16 = 16.93%

Correct math:
20% - $15.54
18% - $13.98
15% - $11.66

I'm going to have to check the math the next time I go somewhere that has those suggested tip amounts.

Here in the Hudson Valley, we had a Meet & Greet at a diner.  They provided us with separate checks.  They included the tip without any indication that they had done so on the receipts.  Now, granted, our group was big enough for them to include the tip - as per the note on their menus - but to do so without any indication?  The diner has since gone out of business, so I guess we weren't the only unhappy customers.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
Looks like they added $10 to the bill before calculating.
Percentages are based exactly on $87.72
That's just plain crooked.
I would call management, however I bet they know they are doing it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
Just blast them on Yelp.  They will get the point that way.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
I like Longhorn Steakhouse and have one 1/2 mile from my apartment. Maybe I'll go there for dinner and see if they do it too.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »
Total for the two of us, including tax, is $77.72.

I left $15.

I was under the misguided opinion that I was a good tipper at roughly 20% (before tax!). I was somewhat incredulous at the last place I ate at when they had a 25% in the list of suggested tip percentages. I guess that wasn't as nearly so outrageous as purposely bad math. Generally I just move the decimal point over one place to get ten percent and then double it and round that number up or down to the closest whole dollar amount for addition ease. That works for me most of the time, I'd say roughly five percent of the time I get really bad service or exceptionally great service and I adjust it accordingly. I'm not sure of the tax rate (8.25%-9.0%?) in the Longhorn location you chose, but I probably would have only put out a $14 tip. 
If I have to start tipping at 25% I'll stay home and eat PB&J.

I'm actually sorry to hear this, as I like Longhorn Steakhouse. I eat there almost every time I travel to Chicago. Despite living in a major urban area of Texas, the closest Longhorn Steakhouse is almost 90 miles from my house.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »
I was just curious if it was happening in more than one location.
That link I posted isn't even a good example.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »
I think perhaps some of you guys are not tipping correctly.... and by that I mean physically, mechanically correctly. Get yourselves a couple of rolls of one- dollar coins and a small tube of cyanoacrylate (Super Glue). Now leave the tip 'correctly' and leave the restaurant slowly, looking back at your table often. Hijinks and hilarity will ensue but keep moving.... always moving toward the door. And maybe not go back to that restaurant for a while.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com