Author Topic: sciatica  (Read 4871 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
sciatica
« on: December 28, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
I've heard people talk about this and chuckled but now I think I have it.  Been having some issues with my left leg and hip.  It would feel 'rubbery' is the best term I can describe it with along with alternating pains in the hip and lower femur.  It actually felt like it would collapse on me.  Weird feeling.  I thought it might be a hip/bone/socket issue but it goes away and feels fine.  After the ride yesterday, I was watching the tv and I could feel my leg tingling.  Very similar to my pinched nerve on my neck a few years back.  Anyone else had this happen to them?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Re: sciatica
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:40:15 AM »
I have narrowing of the foramen in two of the vertebrae of my cervical spine (neck). The doc said that this can cause pain, tingling, and/or numbness elsewhere in the body, seemingly unrelated to the neck. With your history of issues with your neck maybe this is something that needs to be addressed? It took an MRI and CT scan to diagnose my issue. Nothing to be done for my problem, except surgery to fuse the bones and NO WAY am I doing that! I'll deal with the occasional pain and tingling. Sitting in my hot tub for 30 mins with the jets massaging my neck does wonders for this!   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »
In researching this, it appears that not much can be done except to manage it or exercise  :yikes: .  Also, prolonged sitting (which is basically what I do) can bring it on.  I'm thinking a good chiropractor may help alleviate it and exercise.  I'm not getting surgery if I can help it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
change your diet... it means a lot... dump the sat-fats completely... fresh veggies+good lean proteins.
More water, a good vitamin regimen, and more water..
and exercise... simply walking, or a 2 mile bicycle ride makes a difference.

loosing weight helps radically... I only say that because I dropped off over %25 of my bodyweight this year.
another thing is to assess, and re-establish good posture.. we don't realize as we age, we simply do bad things with the way we sit, stand, and work... force good posture upon yourself.
I sit and mess on the puter all hunched over, and notice this GREATLY exacerbates neck, back, and leg pain... I have to mentally re-adjust, and stay on top of it.

I'm not going to even mention reduce alcohol consumption, because I know that ain't happenin' 8) 8)
 ;D
 :chugbeer: :deadhorse: :stirpot:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
I've done the fusion thing... now the problem has just moved, to what is now a weaker spot in my spine.

Get up and walk around, stretch, every hour... if you are just sitting.  I move around a lot on the seat of the bike, moving feet on the pegs... legs around... when on long highway stretches.  I always take a few extra minutes to walk around during fillups too.

If you can get your hands on a TENS unit, they are GREAT!!!! 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
It's caused by wearing headphones.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 06:42:41 PM »
Chiropractic and the prescribed stretches/exercises helped alleviate my issues.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
Yoga.  Have back issues in multiple locations.  Yoga, and diet keep it tolerable
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
Walking is good for it, it may not feel like it at first, but it does.
Sitting is going to make it worse.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 04:16:55 AM »
I appreciate the comments.  I think I'll call a chiropractor today and see what I can set up.  I don't think the headphones caused it.  I just got them.  This has been coming on for awhile now that I understand what's apparently causing it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »
Hope you find a solution soon
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
I've already set up an emergency massage this afternoon from my massage therapist that I use.   She really helped my neck when I had a pinched nerve there and she's had experience with sciatic nerve issues.  If that doesn't work it's on to the chiropractor.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
I've already set up an emergency massage this afternoon from my massage therapist that I use.   She really helped my neck when I had a pinched nerve there and she's had experience with sciatic nerve issues.  If that doesn't work it's on to the chiropractor.
Along with the tyhings I noted above, and talking to my wife about the treatments and assistance her chiro provided, she reminded me about a couple other things that made a profound difference...

Strengthen the body core muscles (stomach, and abbs) thru some painless and easy yoga.
Do not dring carbonated soda drinks... (she never did, but you may, if you do soda, it needs to be reduced).
Posture.
Posture.....
Posture....

Most dramatic change, which resulted in an almost immediate reduction of pain, was after examination, which showed a slight difference in leg length, was to add a miniscule thickness foot / insole insert into one shoe, to equalize standing leg length... it was an overnight change for her, and I totally forgot about that. He suffered for months prior to her assesment and treatment plan, and luckily at the time I had the best medical coverage I could ever want, they covered every penny of her chiro and re-coupe to what today is beginning to deteriorate again, but onle because we cannot afford the occasional manipulations, and such...

A hell of a lot is diet, and I cannot stress this enough, I ain't saying you have to go on a diet, just gotta restrict the items that have a real effect on the condition...

Stretch.
Posture  is super important, constantly pay attention to it...
Rearrange the living room and reverse the way you face the big screen, I just did, and it is the solution to my back pain already...
And get off the damned couch....

Love ya man, sorry to hear your in pain, but I fight it off every day...
Gotta start somewhere tho, sooner or later.

Getting old ain't for the weak. ;)

Dona  went to Chiropractic First inc.,  dr. Steven Dubats, Mechanicsville Va.
7281 Hanover Green dr. #2
804-746-7277

I should kiss this guy, but I ain't like that.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 08:17:34 PM »
Looks as though it was pinched under a muscle around the pelvic girdle.  Not near the spine at all.  The massage therapist pin pointed it, manipulated the muscles there (great big knot), and it feels better already.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »
^^^^great news
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 04:37:44 AM »
Actually slept without waking up in pain last night..  I'll see how it goes today.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 04:47:35 AM »
Looks as though it was pinched under a muscle around the pelvic girdle.  Not near the spine at all.  The massage therapist pin pointed it, manipulated the muscles there (great big knot), and it feels better already.

A girdle? There's your problem right there!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 05:51:17 AM »
 :doh:

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
I would probably be feeling better too if I had a female massage therapist work on anything around the pelvic girdle. :o
Glad you're getting some relief. Suffered a lot from sciatica myself over the years. 20 years of drywall installation, finishing and painting contracting didn't help, I'm sure.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Yeah, well it felt good this morning and now it's back worse...  I got smart (not really) and over stretched myself so I'm walking around like Tim Conway's old man on the Burnette show.