Author Topic: Service (and break-in) questions  (Read 16424 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Service (and break-in) questions
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
But the tank isn't in the way of anything...and there's nothing under it but frame...all the engine top-end work is done from the sides of the bike.

I guess you could pull the tank if you didn't want it to get scratched while working on the bike, but it's removal isn't required, not that I'm aware of at least.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here....that's always possible.

Rem

Sorry for the condescening remarks on my part, Jim told me I needed to chill and have a bourbon, and it didn't kick in till later...doh....

Basic maintainence safety, if it ain't there, you can't damage it.... or have a fire/blow the bike up, if you need to apply heat to remove those biotching brace bolts that are glued in...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
That is to say, their arms are long enough, but their big heads hit the tank before their hands can reach the middle cylinders?  ;D

BRILLIANT! 
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
Depends..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
Depends..

Bwaaahaaaaa

I just had an image of you, sittin on the couch, yelling. " honey, can you bring me another beer.... and another pair of Depends...?"

Bwaaaahaaaa

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
First off, any service to the top end requires removing the fuel tank, it takes 3 minutes to do, and not doing it.... well, its just plain stupid not to.

Basic maintenance safety, if it ain't there, you can't damage it.... or have a fire/blow the bike up, if you need to apply heat to remove those biotching brace bolts that are glued in...

There, now isn't that second answer better. I knew we could count on MOB to fix this thing. Well done MOB!  :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »
There, now isn't that second answer better. I knew we could count on MOB to fix this thing. Well done MOB!  :thumbs:

Ya see, I was in a "transitional phase thang"... trying to be a more understanding, kinder, gentler sort of person...
http://youtu.be/3PeyiU3uWJ8

Just making light of this, I always loved this part of the movie.... 8)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »

Ya see, I was in a "transitional phase thang"... trying to be a more understanding, kinder, gentler sort of person...
http://youtu.be/3PeyiU3uWJ8

Just making light of this, I always loved this part of the movie.... 8)

Hard to believe that movie is two decades old now...sheesh...where has the time gone?...lol. I still love it now as much as I did back then.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:54:19 AM by elp_jc »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2014, 04:13:35 AM »
One thing about this forum you'll need to get used to...diatribes, convoluted answers, curmudgeonly answers, no answers, and humor.  You'll get your information but sometimes in a roundabout way.  There's really no difference between a 13 and a 14 except color.  Up to you to decide which one is right for you.  I think that there is a 13 for 10,900 at Ultimate Cycle in Richmond, VA., at least there was last Friday.  Haven't seen it.  The dealer, Pete, told me about it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:32 AM »
Like Jim said they are basically the same bike, so for me I'd take the 13 shipped with no scratches. Black versus Balck, well I'd take the Black. 200 people sitting on it or one tech. Hopefully the shipper doesn't scratch it in transition. Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike no matter witch one you choose.
Cheers, Doug.   :finger_fing11:

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2014, 05:17:49 AM »
I know what I'm doing :P.
     At the risk of being ignored, if you know what you're doing, why are you wasting your time asking us what we think about what you're going to do? If one asks a question, one should be prepared to accept the answers one gets. Good, bad or indifferent, if we're going to make this forum work, we have to get along (sort of) or at least make it appear as though we are. There is give and take, agreement and dissension on a multitude of topics (as I'm sure you already know) and yet, for the most part, mutual respect for the differences of opinions. Just my $.02 worth. 
     I ride a C10 so I'm probably looked down upon by some C14 owners and that's fine with me. Life is life, and you ain't gonna change it. Kinda like siblings. We are one big family, yet, all different. I'll get off my soapbox now. Ride hard & ride safe. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
I ride a C10 so I'm probably looked down upon by some C14 owners and that's fine with me. Life is life, and you ain't gonna change it. Kinda like siblings. We are one big family, yet, all different. I'll get off my soapbox now. Ride hard & ride safe. :chugbeer:

Look down....never!  I used to own a 2002.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
Yeah that remark by MOB stumped me too. Of course, if we were to go by what he says, 1/3 (OK, that's a guess, but I look around at rallys) of us shouldn't even own C14s because of our height/inseam challenges. It could be that those big guys (for which the stature challenged Japanese obviously designed this bike) are so bulky that they can't reach the middle cylinder heads unless that tank is removed. That is to say, their arms are long enough, but their big heads hit the tank before their hands can reach the middle cylinders?  ;D
Happy Holidays!

Removing your helmet before working on the bike always seems to help.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2014, 06:23:11 AM »
 :doh:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
The only new Connie anywhere close is a black '14 at the only dealer in town, but has been in the floor for a year, and had scratches on the bags.

Unfortunately, just about every one that sits on the floor will have scratches on the bags because people don't know how to properly mount a large bike with panniers.  Mine was an intera-dealer transfer, crated, so I lucked out.  Sometimes those scratches can be compounded out, especially if they are very light.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 06:59:54 AM »
Removing your helmet before working on the bike always seems to help.    ;)

;) :-X

elp_jc

Deleted.
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:54:42 AM by elp_jc »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
I was asking comments about the DEAL, not the bike. I know the C14 is the bike I want (THAT was what I meant), even though the BMW K1600GT was the intended replacement for the recalled 2014 RT, with the $26K BMW gave me back. This will be my cheapest bike in over a decade, so a compliment to Kawi. And yes, I can tolerate any RELEVANT negative comment just fine. But being called a troll is high-school crap (plus all the other irrelevant comments). Life's too short to put up with that crap on ANY forum, and that's what ignore lists are for 8). And no, I'm not going to ignore you for that. Have a good one.

Well, salesman called that the deal was on, but only today. He never replied with the broken-down total to make sure no crap fee was being sneaked in, and banks are about to close, so I'm sure it'll be done Friday. Will probably go visit the dealer so I can scrutinize the bike with a fine comb, and be ready to do the deal on Friday if bike could be made perfect, either with buffing or part(s) replacement. Will keep you posted.

I do appolgise about the troll thing, it was a bad choice on my part, and admonitions have and are noted. You are new here, and that is no excuse for my actions, it was poor timing, and judgement by me. With this said, I have been here a long time, seen a lot of similar flameouts, and am a longtime proponent of both the C14, and the C10, and being a past Technical Editor of COG, who bought the C14 out of pocket, for the purpose of being able to assist, and carry on the transfer of technical assistance the group has grown with; just saw the epically long posts as a diatribe so to speak. Again, I'm sorry. If you hang here long enough, and get to know us a bit better, you will know what I am saying.

As for your dealers pricing, and his "deals", he needs to get realistic. He's sitting on old stock, and trying to make a generous profit at the expense of getting in new in new stock. I don't beat up a dealer for trying to recoup costs, but in reality, they should have sold those off a long time ago.. its all on the dealer, if they don't "sell" bikes, they just have a place you can "buy" a bike..  in my opinion, the dealer on old stock, and especially when it has cosmetic damage, needs to write it off, move it out the door, and become a dealer of higher level statute within KHI.
When you mention the salesman going to "the boss" to get a pricing, he's blowing you a line of $#!+ he ain't going to the boss...
You need to go to "the boss" and tell him exactly what you are willing to pay, and stick to it on a 1 or 2 year old showroom bike... most dealers have no idea the way salesmen rip them off... let's see, the word "comission" ever come to mind? The dealership owner doesn't get "commision" but he sure as hell doesn't realize how screwed he gets paying it to apathetic employees...

I'll suggest calling the people we know at Ultimate Cycle, in Richmond Va, and get the bottom line price otd ( out the door means the total, bike, prep, shipping, TAX and Title, the TOTAL figure you'd write a check for) and id be surprised if Pete can't beat everyone accross the USA. Hands down.
He wants that old stock off the floor, at all costs. And he will do a breakeven pricing to assure his status, and his supply of NEW stock will be delivered when he requests it.  Kaw is funny, when a dealer with let's just say, 10 bikes of the previous year, and maybe 3 bikes of the prior year, are sitting on your floor...
They are not gonna forward brand new stuff to you without money down, from the dealership, to sit like what was demonstrated by their prior history. On the other hand, a dealer that has maybe 2 prior bikes sitting, and a track history of stock movement, will get their attention, and get the new stock as soon as its available...
Prices came down drastically this year on the new C14. Intended to provoke the outlets to sell off old stock. If those outlets refuse to sell, at a reasonable price (I.e. invoice plus a minimal profit) they will own them, and won't get the new bikes.... and eventually will shut down... because they were greedy, and lathargic in their sales.

I hope this is helpful. I believe the prices you were quoting  from the dealers could be chopped by about  8-9% easily, and they still would profit. Now, would I go to those same  dealerships for service? Mehhhh prolly not, even if it was warrenty service, and I surely wouldn't trust them.

When I made mention of riding before buying, it wasn't meant to be an insult. I bought mine 7/7/07 without ever throwing a leg over, luckily this bike fits my stature perfectly, we have been luckily able to co-erce big K to come to our National Rally from that point on, and bring mega bikes for members to ride and decide if they fit. It was a wise thing, and provoked by a few of us here, and they keep on doing it, knowing it is important to make sure people actually fit the bike. The C14 is a tall, and heavy bike, and wheeling it around, or moving it can be a challenge, low speed querky surface manouvers are even more dangerous, my comment that it ain't for everyone was not unjustified... we have a CDA list that proves this (connie droppers annoynmous).

Within the first 5 years of the C14 production, I can say I saw about 15 to 20% of buyers sell off, simply because the bike didn't fit them, and many of those people spent a bunch of money trying to make it fit. When you add up lowering links, seats, bar mods, shocks, tires, etc  it can get to $1k real fast...
And then they sell it, and that money was a waste, because the next person may neer had needed those things...

I say this all, having owned, serviced, tech'd, and ridden this bike for 7-1/2 years.

I do hope you get a good price, and I do hope you're happy with whatever transpires.

Merry Christmas.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »
I bought mine 7/7/07 without ever throwing a leg over, luckily this bike fits my stature perfectly,

I sat on it many times at the dealer but wasn't able to test drive it (they might have let me, but I would not have done so, since it was just too tall to control).  Thankfully I am happy with it, although it is always a handful and sometimes I think I am crazy for ending up with something so big.  But it was a huge risk.

The C14 is a tall, and heavy bike, and wheeling it around, or moving it can be a challenge, low speed quirky surface maneuvers are even more dangerous, my comment that it ain't for everyone was not unjustified... we have a CDA list that proves this (connie droppers anonymous).

Within the first 5 years of the C14 production, I can say I saw about 15 to 20% of buyers sell off, simply because the bike didn't fit them,

Yep.  When you are a small person, the C14 is quite a challenge at low speed.  But once you get a taste of the power and sophistication/comfort, trying to switch to something wimpier will be difficult.

and many of those people spent a bunch of money trying to make it fit. When you add up lowering links, seats, bar mods, shocks, tires, etc  it can get to $1k real fast...

Indeed it does.  Lowering links, lower seat, bar mods, boot mods, easily $1k... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  There is a conspiracy on bike height anyway, so it really doesn't matter WHAT sport touring bike (or most any modern sporty bike), it would need the exact same initial mods for smaller people.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc