Author Topic: Knife sharpener trick  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Knife sharpener trick
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
Never knew this. I'm going to give it a try first chance I get.

http://youtu.be/zleVA9yxdm8

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Knife sharpener trick
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
+1!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »
You can do the same thing with the bottom of a coffee mug- the unglazed ring of the ceramic makes a fantastic abrasive. Unlike the car window, the cup will actually remove metal and restore an edge (the window thing is more like stropping) and of course, you can do the cut thingy inside, while sitting down. Not to say that you could not do the window thingy inside, while sitting down but it would probably leave tire marks in carpet(s) and annoy the wife.... more than using her favorite cup for knife sharpening will.

Brian

Never knew this. I'm going to give it a try first chance I get.

http://youtu.be/zleVA9yxdm8
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
That works great! I just tried the cup thing sitting at my desk.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »
And I'm going to go outside and sharpen my knives and sword on my wife's car windows......before she get's home.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »
I have to assume she did not take her car windows with her? My wife usually takes them when she is away from home.

Now I have a mental image of you dragging a sword over an imaginary piece of door glass in the driveway. I hope you realize that when the neighbors speak of "him" they mean you, right?

Brian

And I'm going to go outside and sharpen my knives and sword on my wife's car windows......before she get's home.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
I think I read about that in the book '1,001 fun things to do while sitting at your desk'. It was #429 if memory serves. I have been waiting to try out #843 but I cannot convince anyone else to do the 'other' part for that one....

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »
That's what I like about this place...

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Now I have a mental image of you dragging a sword over an imaginary piece of door glass in the driveway. I hope you realize that when the neighbors speak of "him" they mean you, right?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Don't you worry about them Jim ......................It'll be yer Suffolk DNA coming to the surface  :hail:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
You do know that sharpening stuff at your desk, at work, can put your co- workers off, right? I mean they see you sharpening the knife and all but then they wonder what you are going to use to dull it up again....

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
I can see Jim sharpening his sword with a beer mug maybe but not his wife's imaginary car window.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 04:54:43 PM »
....when the neighbors speak of "him" they mean you, right?

We're all kind of like internet neighbors here right? I think "HIM" would work for us as a nickname for ..well you know, the guy here whose name rhymes with "HIM"

That's what I like about this place...

I thought HIM would like it.  ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:37 PM »
HIM who has the sword.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
It's NONSENSE!  I just tried it on the back window of my wife's Miata. She is NOT gonna be happy with me when she sees it.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »
Put the top down and she'll never notice.  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
Whose top?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 05:43:43 PM »
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
Now see that is where you are going to send people down a silly path (not serious stuff like we're talking about). A beer mug, or anything made of smooth glass, will not work to sharpen steel. A coffee mug works because it is unglazed ceramic on the bottom, a material both rough and much harder than steel.

So to all you guys out there busily dragging your swords across a beer mug (yeah, that sounds like a euphemism....), it ain't gonna' work no matter how much fun you are having doing it.

Brian

I can see Jim sharpening his sword with a beer mug maybe but not his wife's imaginary car window.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »

Don't you worry about them Jim ......................It'll be yer Suffolk DNA coming to the surface  :hail:

What can I say, Charlie... ;D   Aside from my sense of humour...  English blood runs hot.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »

Brian......................It must be a Friday night thing but I genuinely RAFLMAO at the image of HIMJIM dragging the 250lbs of sword down the drive past his microbrewery, his sausage making machine and front garden sculpture made from the left-hand wing of a B36 balancing on the HIMJIM front lawn at a jaunty angle on its main wheels and jet engines those big old props casting shadows across the HIMJIM drive in the evening sunshine to find the imaginary wife's windows to work with.............It got so bad I had to phone HIMJIM up to ensure all was OK...............When he answered  you could hear the excitement in his voice as he announced the arrival of his wife returning from work....................................As I hung up I knew the man had found his Friday Nirvana and left him in a state of bliss running his sword repeatedly across the thin glass lip of his wife's window orifice ............................ :popcorn: