Author Topic: Won't start  (Read 14640 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
Won't start
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »
I'm stranded at work.  It's cold, about 35 out.  I go out, whip out my key fob (which is broken and non working), hit the key and everything is normal.  Bike cranks but no fire.  It did this the last time it was cold, the bike would fire right up, and die.  Did it about two or three times, and I turned up the idle and no more probs (but it also warmed up a bit).  Now it just doesn't fire up.  As I'm writing this, I don't remember hearing that familiar sound of the fuel pump pressurizing.  But that may have been because of having my helmet on and not really paying attention. 

SO, would any of this have anything to do with my passive KiPass Fob?  The bike has 51K flawless miles on it.  I have never had any indication that it needs any type of service.  Any thoughts?  I'm stuck....  The thought of taking a cab and leaving the bike pains me!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stlheadake

Re: 08 C14 won't start
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
I hear the fuel pump, it just cranks, no start. Yes I checked ignition switch, it is in neutral just like it had no spark...

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
I don't think it has anything to do with the fobs or lack thereof.  Sounds like either fuel or ignition related.  Wish I could help more but you did say it's done this before in the cold.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
Crap that sucks. No this should not have anything to do with the fob.
Do you have a PCV installed?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
Kill switch 'off'?

(maybe you checked that by your mention of "ignition switch")

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:46:54 PM »
Kill switch 'off'?

(maybe you checked that by your mention of "ignition switch")
wouldn't turn over

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
I gave up, bummed a ride. No tools to do anything that amounts to anything. I'll call AMA OR AAA in the morning, and have them take it to the shop.

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »
Crap that sucks. No this should not have anything to do with the fob.
Do you have a PCV installed?

What's a PCV? I have an electronic cruise control but that's it.

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline tomp

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
What's a PCV? I have an electronic cruise control but that's it.
Power commander V, I would imagine.  Don't think the cruise would affect starting.  Just make sure it is off, next try.
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:06 PM »
power commander fuel controller....have had some issues in the past   

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »
Spray some starting fluid in the intake and see if it coughs. That will get you started on your diagnosis.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »
I hear the fuel pump, it just cranks, no start. Yes I checked ignition switch, it is in neutral just like it had no spark...

Sounds like fuel...

Spark plugs are fired directly from the main FI ECU, and if there was a problem there or with the plugs, you should be getting error codes on the dash. If it's a fuel or fuel pump related issue, you won't have any kind of codes or errors.

The secondary fly motor should open the throttle plates very slightly for cold start, but if there was a problem with it, you'd also get an error code...either from the TPS, or secondary fly position sensor.

Could try putting some fuel de-icer in the tank and try to slosh it around in there a bit. Other than that, perhaps the fuel pump pick-up screen is clogged up or gelled up with goop...

If the engine is turning over, and there are no errors on the screen, I'd say fuel...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Won't start
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
It's THAT kind of day. I finally got a little bit of time to work on the bike. I adjusted the valves a couple of weeks ago but due to work I had to put the bike on the back burner. Finished putting the engine together and was excited to fire it up. Ran on what seemed lik 2 cylinders, popped thru exhaust AND intake.  :(  I figured I messed up the cam timing so I took it all back apart only to find the timing to be correct. (As far as I can tell).

Checked the valve lash. It was correct.  >:(   What the heck? Am I losing my mind? Possibly. I am at a loss.

New Irridium plugs. The old ones were BLACK and had about a 0.060 inch gap. Gapped the new ones at 0.030. Am I missing something?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Won't start
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
Are all the coil packs pushed down tight into the valve cover?

Are all the coil pack plugs snapped in place nice and tight?

Are all the coil pack plugs on the correct coils?

Any fault codes or errors or anything funky showing up on the dash?

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
Are all the coil packs pushed down tight into the valve cover?

Are all the coil pack plugs snapped in place nice and tight?

Are all the coil pack plugs on the correct coils?

Any fault codes or errors or anything funky showing up on the dash?

Yes, coil packs are fully inserted.
 Yes, plugs are snapped on.
 Plugs seem to only reach the correct coil. I'll check that again.
How do I check codes?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
Thanks to all that reply.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »
Pull the tank, and dump the fuel.,. You didn't tell us anything about the machine... get thourough with what we have to work with on the web.... we aren't there, nor are we aware of wht you have done prior... it makes a big differerence when daignosining an issue from afar..... get the picture?
Get specific. We can help you, but help us help you...

Please....
And any reply from someone with less than a hundred posts on this bike needs to be taken with a grain of salt... lots of egg-spurtz out there, might want to wait for the posts from some of us that truley own, and work on these bikes... ::) ::)

Bubba? Brian? Anyone with a record of ownership and diagnosis. ????? Other than someone guessing...?
Sorry to be dising someone, but I don't play well when someone posts a positive cure, without subsequent knowledge on the issue.. sorry.

Oh, plugs don't change .030" gap by themselves.... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »
How do I check codes?

No, I just meant if there are any errors popping up on the dash while you're trying to start the bike.

Did you disconnect the ground wire for your Power Commander during the disassembly process?

In any case, disconnect the Power Commander and plug the bike's harness back in without it until you get it started and running ok.

You can't troubleshoot anything with the bike with a Power Commander installed.

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
Sounds like fuel...

Spark plugs are fired directly from the main FI ECU, and if there was a problem there or with the plugs, you should be getting error codes on the dash. If it's a fuel or fuel pump related issue, you won't have any kind of codes or errors.

The secondary fly motor should open the throttle plates very slightly for cold start, but if there was a problem with it, you'd also get an error code...either from the TPS, or secondary fly position sensor.

Could try putting some fuel de-icer in the tank and try to slosh it around in there a bit. Other than that, perhaps the fuel pump pick-up screen is clogged up or gelled up with goop...

If the engine is turning over, and there are no errors on the screen, I'd say fuel...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Rem

Thank you Rem, I'll try some deicer, and SeaFoam.  I only buy fuel from reputable stations, AND the same stations to boot!  That doesn't mean anything, but she ran like wildfire on the way in and it was 30!  I did try working the throttle while cranking thinking maybe it just needed a little 'more' fuel. 

I'm going to try the starting fluid in the morning, is it safe to spray it in the front intakes?  Honestly, I never use starting fluid, I usually use WD40. 

Now that I am processing all of this, I do have a tendency to squeeze every last drop out of the tank.  I have put as much as 5.5 gallons in, and that is to the metal stop in the tank, not over flowing.  I wonder if my wringing the tank out didn't cause it to suck up some crap?

Is the fuel pump and screen easy to get to? I haven't a clue as to where they are located. 

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »
Never MIND! Nothing is ever easy!

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler