Author Topic: Veteran rider seeking advice on the reliability of the C14 from owners  (Read 32341 times)

wcgreen

Hi folks!

I am new here and wanted to get some good advice from experienced owners of the C14.  A little about me...  I have always been a cruiser guy.  I've done 4 cross country solo drives on the Vulcan 1500 and the Suzuki M109R, but never on a sport tourer.  I am 6'5'', with very long legs, about to turn 50, and heading to grad school in Tuscaloosa, AL as a teaching assistant next August.  My wife and family must remain in Jacksonville, FL due to custody issues with her ex.  I was looking to sell my F150 and just use a bike as my only transportation.  I've been a bike-only guy before, but at 50, maybe not too smart these days.  So, I am looking to get something used, in my budget, which is not very big, and use that bike daily as much as possible, as well as a monthly trip to Jacksonville for the next 36 months.  All that said, what is the reliability like on the C14?  I would likely have to get a bike with 35-50k on it and could I expect it to go another 35-50K with only oil and tire changes?  Just trying to get an idea of what I could expect, and what to avoid.  Would it be possible to spend 5k on a C14 and get three trouble free years out of it?  I welcome all your input!
Thanks!
Billy

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Veteran rider seeking advice on the reliability of the C14 from owners
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
Welcome wc, the answer to your questions is yes. You should be able to find a very good used c14 for 5-6k. A plus would be if the valve clearance check could be documented. Kaw will warranty this bike for nine years so yes, it is stone cold reliable. As with any vehicle there are some usually minor problems arise, easily fixed by warranty or owner. If you're planning a weekly run home, get a radar detector.  ;)

wcgreen

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Great! Thank you for that!  I appreciate it!  From what I can see, the type of folks that own these and sell them are pretty good at staying on top of things and treating the bike well... for the most part, seems like a responsible group.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Would it be possible to spend 5k on a C14 and get three trouble free years out of it?

Yes. The 08's re starting to show up for really good prices. There was a guy on here recently that picked up an 08 for $3500 bucks with about 35k miles on it.

You'll see people asking as much as $8500 for them, but they're showing up fairly often in the $5500-$6500 range, at least in the areas I'm watching.

They're pretty reliable....I can't think of anything to even bother warning about, other than to make sure any bike you purchase comes with both keyfobs;).

Rem 8)

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
Great! Thank you for that!  I appreciate it!  From what I can see, the type of folks that own these and sell them are pretty good at staying on top of things and treating the bike well... for the most part, seems like a responsible group.

You probably shouldn't put me in that group!  I am about as irresponsible as it gets.... :P  Just ask my wife! :o
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 03:42:40 PM »
You'll find much better deals further north this time of year...

Cheapest C14 I found (in the east) on a quick Craigslist search is in southern PA.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcd/4759376698.html

Bet you'd get it for $5500 or less, and with only 43k miles on the clock, it's just barely broken in;).

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

wcgreen

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
You'll find much better deals further north this time of year...

Cheapest C14 I found (in the east) on a quick Craigslist search is in southern PA.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcd/4759376698.html

Bet you'd get it for $5500 or less, and with only 43k miles on the clock, it's just barely broken in;).

Rem

Good news.... I will likely be purchasing closer to the summer if not the summer, but all of this sounds very good.  I am pretty much sold on the C14... just a matter of do I want to sell the F150 and be a bike-only guy in school... or wait a little longer, till the fall and get a higher mileage one while keeping the truck.

wcgreen

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
Yes. The 08's re starting to show up for really good prices. There was a guy on here recently that picked up an 08 for $3500 bucks with about 35k miles on it.

You'll see people asking as much as $8500 for them, but they're showing up fairly often in the $5500-$6500 range, at least in the areas I'm watching.

They're pretty reliable....I can't think of anything to even bother warning about, other than to make sure any bike you purchase comes with both keyfobs;).

Rem 8)

All encouraging bits of info!  I'm sold on the C14

Offline tomp

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
Only you know your needs and finances, but if you can, get a 14 and keep the truck, too.  Trailer the bike behind the truck to AL, and then use the bike as often as you can.  The truck will be there when you may need it, too.  You need to ride one, to make sure you fit well.  Pegs can be lowered and seats and bars can be raised,  to make for a better riding experience. 

I'm 5'10"/30" inseam, and the bike fits me fine.  The 14's are very fast, but will cruise at 45-60MPH all day long if necessary, with out a bit of complaint. 

With a tail box, you will have plenty of carry room for those trips home.  Good luck, but remember that bike prices are lower in the winter, so better deals could be made now, not next summer/riding season.  tomp

Make sure you take Rem's advice and get both FOBs with any bike you buy.  They don't come cheap. . . .
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »
Hi folks! I am new here and wanted to get some good advice from experienced owners of the C14.

Welcome!

All that said, what is the reliability like on the C14?

You probably can't get much more reliable than the C14.  It is a very solid bike, made in Japan, based on extremely well tested designs, and is MEANT to be reliable.  3 year factory warranty and extendable to a total of 9 years... that speaks volumes.  Used or not (unless it was horribly abused), it is an excellent choice.  Not just reliable, the C14 is a powerful, comfortable, affordable, feature-full, and very customizable motorcycle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
Welcome!

You probably can't get much more reliable than the C14.  It is a very solid bike, made in Japan, based on extremely well tested designs, and is MEANT to be reliable.  3 year factory warranty and extendable to a total of 9 years... that speaks volumes.  Used or not (unless it was horribly abused), it is an excellent choice.  Not just reliable, the C14 is a powerful, comfortable, affordable, feature-full, and very customizable motorcycle.

Thanks!  I'm hearing nothing but confirmation that when I do purchase...it's gonna be the C14!

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »

Thanks!  I'm hearing nothing but confirmation that when I do purchase...it's gonna be the C14!

You won't go wrong mate! I've clocked up in excess of 100 000km on mine, still runs like new, except once for a bad battery and warped front brake discs...it's been absolutely trouble free. This is the only bike I've ever owned with that kind of millage on it....speaks volumes about reliability and longevity! Go for it...you won't regret it!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 04:42:10 AM »
There really isn't anything that's inherently wrong with the bike.  Things wear out, things get replaced.  The biggest nitpicks, according to internet rumour, the KIPASS starting issue and front brake rotor warpage.  The engine and drive train are pretty solid and so was the C10, it's predecessor.  I have 60k miles on mine and plan on keeping it until the Kaws come home.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

wcgreen

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »
Thanks guys.... Sounds like what I have been looking for and the best solution.  Can you give me an idea of how often you go through tires and average cost?  I know changing the oil on my M109R was a PAIN!!  How is it on the C14?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »
I have a 2010 with 52,000+ trouble free miles. Only maintenance has been oil, tires and 1 valve check. I go through a rear tire about every 8,000 miles and 12,000 or so on the front. Oil change is very easy and I do my own tires. Easiest bike I've had to put the wheels on and off. Valve check is a giant PITA. I had a dealer check mine at 27,000 miles and they were all in spec and cost $350. If they have to put new shims in then the cost goes up because then they have to remove the cams. This bike has never left me on the side of the road, ever.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 11:22:26 AM »
Thanks guys.... Sounds like what I have been looking for and the best solution.  Can you give me an idea of how often you go through tires and average cost?  I know changing the oil on my M109R was a PAIN!!  How is it on the C14?

The OEM ties on the C14 suck.  But many opt for Michelin PR3's or PR4's and report 10K or more miles out of a set.  My 08 came with PR2's which I'm very happy with also.  I don't know how many miles they have on them but the bike only has 10K.

Oil changes are super easy.  Spin off oil filter, drain on the bottom of the engine, you don't even have to remove any body panels.  Rear drive oil is also very easy, 5 minute (or less) job.

#1 issue seems to be the KIPASS but that just because people lose the things.  I know I'll get flamed for this but I LIKE the KIPASS system.  Works great and you don't ever think about it.  That's the way it should be!

A common trouble is the camshaft sensor o-ring which can leak a minor amount of oil.  Not a serious problem but it is easy to fix with an oversize o-ring.

Beyond that, the C14 is nearly bulletproof.  The engine is a de-tuned ZX-14 engine so you know it's just loafing most of the time.  I'm very happy with mine, massive power, great handling, good storage, good wind/element protection, comfortable riding position.  The only upgrades I have on mine is bar risers and a Cee Bailey windscreen.  Both came installed from the PO and I like them both.  I had a Vance & Hines CS-One exhaust but it was too loud so I took it off and picked up an OEM muffer.  I know, that's blasphemy here but I like quiet more than I like "cool".

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 03:29:19 PM »
The engine is a de-tuned ZX-14 engine

I wouldn't say it is "de-tuned".  It is tuned exactly for what it is meant to do- be smooth, quiet, efficient, shifting torque lower, and to be very reliable.  And it has variable valve timing that the ZX doesn't have at all.

That isn't "de", it is just "different" tuning for a different type of bike for a different set of criteria.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:46:55 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 03:59:32 PM »
I wouldn't say it is "de-tuned".  It is tuned exactly for what it is meant to do- be smooth, quiet, efficient, shifting torque higher on the spectrum, and to be very reliable.  And it has variable valve timing that the ZX doesn't have at all.

That isn't "de", it is just "different" tuning for a different type of bike for a different set of criteria.

I took it that he meant it was a lower HP version of the 1352cc engine, since the ZX14 is such a well known model.  All you said was very true, and I agree that the engine performs exactly as intended.  The most exciting engine I've ever owned was in a ZZR 1200.  Loads of fun over 100MPH, not so much under that speed. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »
I have a 2010 with 55,000+ miles on it. Oil changes, tires and a couple sets of brake pads. It will be 4 years old in January. Still under warranty until January 2017. These bikes are very solid and trouble free. I have had 3 of them. I have had a couple sets of warped rotors replaced under warranty between the 3 bikes. Good luck! I am trading in a 2012 Yamaha FJR 1300 towards a 2012 Kawasaki Concours this week. That'll be C-14 #4.
Joel from Maine.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
Bullet proof. Heavy, but absolutely bullet proof.
Mine hits the rev limiter almost every time I ride it.
Just get a Lawyer and tire supplier on speed dial. At least if you roll like I do. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.