Author Topic: Veteran rider seeking advice on the reliability of the C14 from owners  (Read 32343 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Veteran rider seeking advice on the reliability of the C14 from owners
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 07:40:28 AM »
wc, best of luck to you.

wcgreen

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 08:05:10 AM »
wc, best of luck to you.

Thank you :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 06:13:11 PM »
Sounds like you need an econobox, pull up your boot straps and get school done.  Bikes are toys.  You could buy a reliable econobox for what you would pay for a concourse.  Sounds like that is the sacrifice you will have to make for the future of your family.

I put myself through school while holding down a full time job and supporting a wife and two babies. Took 10 years and a lot of sacrifice, but it Paid off.  I road a $500 motorcycle  and we had an old econobox to carry the family. 

Sell the truck.  Have your wife drop you off at school and use a bicycle to get to class.  Have her visit you, rent a clunker for the weekend to visit your parent, or take the bus and study during the trip.

Good luck.  Make it happen if you want it bad enough.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline katata1100

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
How reliable is the connie? Not the best example but...
Years ago, there was an extended warranty company called warrranty gold (now out of business, another story). What I liked about them was that you could type in your car and they'd give you an instant quote. Call it underwriting for extended warranties, but it seemed accurate.
A honda crv was cheaper than a Kia sportage, a camry was was less than an audi, you get the idea. A vehicle that has a predicted higher rate of repairs will cost more.
Enter the c14. It comes with a three year warranty, unlimited miles. That says a lot about the confidence kawa has for its bike.
An extra 3 years is only around $350. That speaks even more about the bike. And, some say you can get it renewed for the same amount.
My initial warranty is up this march. I have had it in for fork seal repair and bad latch on the glove box- that's it.
The shop in the next city does the servicing for all the state trooper C-14 bikes, they say they are bullet proof, holding up better than the bmw bikes they replaced, the cops love them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2014, 06:04:30 AM »
So far mine has been reliable, but I'll let you know after its been broken in.   >90,000 miles, its getting close  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »
Only the mad power of KIPASS has protected you.  I can certainly say, for a bike that isn't a Honda, you've rode the hell out of it.  More mad power to you!  :salute:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2014, 07:05:47 AM »
Only the mad power of KIPASS has protected you.  I can certainly say, for a bike that isn't a Honda, you've rode the hell out of it.  More mad power to you!  :salute:

^^^thank you sir, I hope to put 200K on it then part it out on fleabay
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2014, 07:11:22 AM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »

Not sure what your statement implies, but I know of many voyager xii owners with over 100000 trouble free miles, and a few with over 200000 miles.  Shoot, there are many with the voyager 1700 closing in on 100000 miles.  I even know a few ninja 650 riders who have passed the 100000 miles mark.  Kawasakis can do the miles.  They just need riders willing to ride.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
Inside joke..  I had a Voyager XII, it was a great bike.  Very reliable.  I've had good luck with Kwaks.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
My original 1974 Z-1 still loves to boogie with way over 100K- I fully expect my C-14 AKA "Black Bear" to go 300k with normal maintenance.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »
There are some nagging potential issues with the C14, but it seems to be hit or miss. I like keys and I hate TPMS systems that do not work as well as the offerings from other OEM out there, but the engine is a gem of a powerplant indeed.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

wcgreen

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »
Well, just an update.  All is a GO with grad school and I start in early August.  All is a go with my loans and waivers .  So, since my stepdaughter has turned 16 and needs a car, we are giving her my wife's Tucson which is loaded with miles, and the wife will drive my paid off F-150.  I WILL be getting a C-14 in September, most likely.  Looking to spend about $6500-$7000 and need an ABS model.  Still welcome suggestions, and when the time is closer, will start looking for bikes on here.  Ideally, if I could choose, I would get a blue, 2010.  Favorite color, for me being an Auburn University Alum who is now going to the University of Alabama... want to stay away from anything Red.  Anyway, thanks again for all the comments and looks like I will be getting a C-14 in the early fall.

Offline tomp

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »
Glad things are working out for you.  Didn't look so good a few months back.  Keep us informed.   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:39 PM »
>97K and still never had to leave it and walk.........

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
it's nice to see an update on such a story, which had a tad more than just motorcycle info  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
Since new leftover ones are now going for under $10,000, you should have no issues finding a bike in your price range if you are willing to travel a little to pick it up.
My Concours Travels:

wcgreen

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
Since new leftover ones are now going for under $10,000, you should have no issues finding a bike in your price range if you are willing to travel a little to pick it up.

Yeah- When the time comes, I am assuming I will have to send a deposit somewhere, then fly out to drive it home... unless I just get REALLY lucky!

wcgreen

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
Also guys, is there a mileage "Target" I should shoot for in this price range?  $6500-$7000?  I know the valves need to be adjusted around 27K and, due to my status being back in school, I will have to pay someone to do this.  I would like to have a bike that won't need that for at least two years, so around 10K on the odometer, or a bike that has just had it done.  Any thoughts?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
Also guys, is there a mileage "Target" I should shoot for in this price range?  $6500-$7000?  I know the valves need to be adjusted around 27K and, due to my status being back in school, I will have to pay someone to do this.  I would like to have a bike that won't need that for at least two years, so around 10K on the odometer, or a bike that has just had it done.  Any thoughts?

Not sure if you're wanting new or pre-owned but last year I picked up my 2008 with 8K miles for $5400.  I've seen reports of other 08's selling in the $5000 range recently.  You can probably find an 09 for $6K.  I know folks like to ask more, but with NEW left-over 2013's available for under $10K that really pushes the resale market down.  Sucks if you're selling but is great if you're shopping.