Author Topic: Wire size... Help!  (Read 15062 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Wire size... Help!
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
Yes, and excellent point as well as the ability to change a fuze if needed, on the side of the road.... in the dark.... in the rain, 'cause that is when the fuze block placement will really count.

Had a friend of mine pull into the national rally in TN this last summer with NO HEADLIGHTS because of a blown fuse (aftermarket HID lights) and changing it required removal of the right / center fairing. Very poor placement IMO. He had a dealer do the install and I suggested he go back and have them do the install again.... only better. :-)

Brian

+1 on locating it in a spot that requires no tools to access.
I still find the best location to use is placing it in the underseat toolbox, then it is protected, and easily accessed.
If you can't find a place in one of those cavernous side bags for the factory toolkit, you have too much stuff in them....

Factory tool kit is the bare minimum anyways, and the tools are made out of cheese, and will likely ruin any fastener and the tool when you attempt a repair... ditch them, replace them with equivalent high quality tools, stored in a tupperware or rollup pouch in the side bag, along with all the associated things like tape, tiewraps, electrical splices, wire, plug kit, yada yada...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »
Well then I think you should get full credit for suggesting it first :-) Honestly, I either did not see the post or skimmed by it and did not absorb the content.

But yep, Posi Taps are a nice device to use that requires little effort, no tools (almost- still have to strip the wire sometimes) and are removable / reusable, which is a nice touch. I still suggest they be used with grease so any wires that are pierced remain waterproof but even 'raw' they are a pretty good product.

Brian

I mentioned those earlier!  I have only used them for low-wattage stuff, but I came away from the experience pretty impressed with them.  They were included in the Admore kit.  I see from their site that they offer all kinds of sizes.  http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html  I, personally would tend to use spade connectors though, if it were a project running new wires and connections and such to a Fuseblock and wanted it all done "nicely".   I don't have a Fuseblock type setup, but wish I had started with one.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
I still find the best location to use is placing it in the underseat toolbox, then it is protected, and easily accessed.

Yeesh, everything is relative.  Getting my seat off now is a nightmare.  One day I will have to figure out what is wrong with it- doesn't line up correctly or something.  Has always been difficult (Sargent World) but seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Factory tool kit is the bare minimum anyways, and the tools are made out of cheese, and will likely ruin any fastener and the tool when you attempt a repair...

You can say that again
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
I've got some electrical accessories to install in the next week or so.

Excellent thread! Learned a LOT. Just hope you all know what you're talking' 'bout(!!)

How many dilithium crystals per posi-tap?

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline AlanS

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
I have a question about brake light wire size, seems like a good thread to post in.
Pulled my relay box and ECU out today, ECU is out may have to do something with that since it is out.
Pulling the rear fender to put an Projekt D eliminator in place, at the same time I am going to put in a second brake light below the license plate. Using a LED light bar from Custom Dynamics have used one on another bike, light steady on till brake applied, goes to high mode and flashes several times then steady high till brake is released.
Anyway the question is does anyone know the wire size on the OEM brake light?  Want to make up a plug and play harness for the aux brake light. Can't really tell by looking if it is 16 or 18. Any thoughts?
TIA
Don't Panic!
'08 Suzuki DR650SE Mootzimo
'09 Honda GL1800Navi/XM HAFACAR
'12 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours