Author Topic: Washing the bike  (Read 20424 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Washing the bike
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2011, 04:52:35 AM »
I have never washed any of my bikes with water!  Water is bad for the electrics on any bike...if you have soap mixed in with the water it is even worse almost impossible to remove it especially under the seat.

Ninja

Funny thing about those seats, they come right off and it's easier to get things dried off that way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DaveO

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2011, 05:09:29 AM »
dont use a pressure washer and dont put the bike away wet if you can help it.
It WILL still be wet if you dont go for at least a 20 min. ride after the wash.
Motorcycle mechanics tell me that bikes that get frequent washings  have more electrical problems.( corroded connections)

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2011, 06:48:18 AM »
Very much a change of topic but.... REALLY!!!  I mean, you have to take out multiple bolts to get to the battery???!!  When I took off all the side top/mid/bottom fairings, I thought it would never end.  I was terrified!  And they just HAD to put that damn quick rivet at the TOP of the dashboard so you have to take the WHOLE WINDSHIELD OFF just to remove that ONE rivet so you can take off the upper side fairing!  OMG!

And yes.... I ended up with not one, but TWO of those smaller fairing bolt/screws left over.  I went through it all again... I STILL cannot figure out where they go- there is nothing missing!  So I am holding them for the next disassembly.

Anyway, now that I have done it once, I am positive it will be much easier next time.

After taking the windshield off several times like you mentioned, I found a much easier way.  I have kind of like a right-angle dental pick in my toolbox which makes it super easy to pop the center of that rivet down, then just fish the rivet out with the same tool real quick.  It only takes a second and can be done with the windshield on.  It's a little easier with the windshield all the way up because it creates a little more clearance.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
After taking the windshield off several times like you mentioned, I found a much easier way.  I have kind of like a right-angle dental pick in my toolbox which makes it super easy to pop the center of that rivet down, then just fish the rivet out with the same tool real quick.  It only takes a second and can be done with the windshield on.  It's a little easier with the windshield all the way up because it creates a little more clearance.

I made a tool like that with a piece of coat hanger wire.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
Motorcycle mechanics tell me that bikes that get frequent washings  have more electrical problems.( corroded connections)

I knew it!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »

Excellent idea.  I will do that next time.  I was cursing at the idiot designer that placed that ONE rivet there!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TRBN

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »

I just use one of the smaller hex wrenches.  The 3mm seems to be about perfect to push the center of the rivet down...

Aaron

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »

+1 overwashing a bike is worse than underwashing it.  I only do the full monty with hose and bucket maybe once a year, although maybe every month or two I'll go over the outside with a sponge and bucket in the garage.  Come to think of it, I have not used a hose yet on my bike.  The last time I did a proper washing, I donned a rain suit and went riding in the rain.  Perfect wash job.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
wiping it down/washing it off with a wet towel then drying is all mine has ever got. And people ask how it stays so clean on trips.  Well the hotels hate the condition I leave their towels

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »
wiping it down/washing it off with a wet towel then drying is all mine has ever got. And people ask how it stays so clean on trips.  Well the hotels hate the condition I leave their towels

Don't you get scratches/swirls from just water and hotel towels??

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »

That's why I bring my own......and no it's not for washing/wiping the bike.  I use it for windscreen to get the bugs off.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
  Don't you get scratches/swirls from just water and hotel towels??

Mike

not yet. or I'm not paying attention.  I've run my beast 41,000 miles in 16 months, maybe it has swirls.

also I use plexus on the wind screen. absolutely no scratches or swirls on it  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Makz58

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Spray bottle plain old water soak her down one section at a time micro fibre towel in bucket of warm water takes everything off no scratches. Once a riding season major clean hose pressure only and not on electrics, clean everywhere including underside and also wash rad off low pressure...Clean wheels etc. When wife is done I take her to the local Macs for supper. LOL OUCH!!
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
I used to be real anal about keeping my bike clean.  I ride year 'round (well mostly, I don't ride when it's this damned hot!), and it ALWAYS seems like as soon as I clean it up, it rains!  I wash with whatever is handy.  I've used car wash pressure washers MANY MANY times, but I probably use my garden hose the most. 

The electronics are sealed.  You aren't going to hurt anything (factory) on the bike as long as you aren't applying the pressure DIRECTLY on the dash.  I tend to stay about two feet back from the bike if I have to use a pressure hose.  I just 'fog' the spray on it and that works fine.  I always carry a towel with me.

Hey all, if you are at a hotel and WANT a towel to use on your bike, ASK!  They almost ALWAYS have plenty of stained towels that they are more than willing to give you.  I had a very frank discussion with a hotel owner who was hesitant to give us a room, because "you guys always tear up my rooms, and ruin my towels" That is an EXACT quote.  After assuring him that I wouldn't tear his rooms up, or ruin his towels, I got the room.  Later, he offered a a box full of towels with spots of some sort that wouldn't wash out.  They were almost always a wine food stain, or dirt or something.  He let me dig through the box for towels I wanted.  He even told me to keep them!

Any way, if you have time and so desire, wash away.  The Connie can handle it!  However, as previously mentioned 1,000,000,000 times, DON'T use dish soap on your vehicle!! 

I'm not stirring chit, but it's too easy to ask and get good clean towels to use. 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
I just had another thought....what do you guys use to clean the lower fairing?  I wash it pretty good, I use WD-40 to get the tar and TOUGH stuff off, but what do you use to protect it?  I didn't think that regular wax would be a good thing.  I haven't used ANYTHING on it except the WD-40 for the front.  That WD-40 is also one heckuva wheel cleaner too!  I DON'T use knock-offs there, I use only the real deal.  Works like a charm.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
Clean the lower fairing?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 05:25:25 AM »
I just had another thought....what do you guys use to clean the lower fairing?  I wash it pretty good, I use WD-40 to get the tar and TOUGH stuff off, but what do you use to protect it?  I didn't think that regular wax would be a good thing.  I haven't used ANYTHING on it except the WD-40 for the front.  That WD-40 is also one heckuva wheel cleaner too!  I DON'T use knock-offs there, I use only the real deal.  Works like a charm.

I use wax on the lower fairing, why do you think that it's not a good thing?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »
Wax?

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 06:35:49 AM »
Is this a Harley board?

Jesus, if your bike is clean you obviously don't ride it.   :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
Is this a Harley board?

Jesus, if your bike is clean you obviously don't ride it.   :o

Why do you say that? It's not like I can ride EVERY free moment that I have. I gotta have some beer drinking time and I never ride when I've been drinking, not even one. I can drink me some brews and wash the bike if I want to can't I?    >:(